Foreplay anyone!!

AnalOg

Gotcha to look!!3.gif

Pics of my Forplay is up. It sounds great with the Paramours. Had some ground problems.Eric,helped me sort it out. This project was very rewarding and a big bang for the buck. I would recommend it to anyone interested in going tubes. Even the interconnects were DIY, made with 30 gauge magnet wire.

Thankx again Eric.

Tom

download.asp?mode=download&fileID=26750&

post-10696-13819246840772_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 3/31/2003 1:06:43 AM Johnny dB wrote:

Moon,

The foreplay preamp kit runs about $150. The Paramours sell for around $500 for the pair I think. It's been a while since I ordered. It took 6 weeks to get the Foreplay. You can check it out at www.bottlehead.com .

----------------

Thanks Johnny, but got another question, what is a paramour?

Wow, your FP and Paramours do look good! However, your journey is just beginning 2.gif Wait till you start tweaking your FP with things like the PDMPS, Sweet Whispers, upgraded coupling caps etc. I believe Voltsecond has a wealth of information on modding the Paramours too.

I am sure you will derive many hours/years of enjoyment from this killer combination! 5.gif

Hey Tom

Glad to see you try the Bottlehead products. They realy pack a lot of value for so few bucks. Likewise they are a great learning experience.

I can see you've installed the sweet whispers volume pot upgrade into one channel. This is an interesting way to evaluate and learn. I see the stock caps still installed. You'll want to try upgrading these after you are realy acquainted with the sound of the stock caps (another great learning experience).

As you know the Bottlehead forum and website are full of interisting and inexpensive upgrades. Trying them one at a time you can enjoy an ever changing and improving music system. You'll be adding educational and music enjoyment for a long time (futher increasing the already high bang for the buck).

BTW gerat wood work.

RB

I was hoping someone could post the pics directly on the forum downed in size, if its not to much trouble. I still have to figure out how to do this.

Johnny db,

Hi John, It took the soldering process a straight five and half hours, the magnet wire procedure adds about an additional hour.

Weiming,

Yes, I have all the upgrades offered through Bottlehead, i.e. Sweet whispers, C4S, magnet wire. I have the Sweet whispers & magnet wire installed, upgraded the 2a3 to the Sovteks, and the 12at7 to the Mullards for a quieter background & more musical combo. I'm presently taking in the music with this setup for a couple of weeks to get a handle on what I'm listening to. I almost feel apprehensive about installing the C4S active load upgrade, do to the fact as to I really like what I'm hearing now. I have been lurking on the Botllehead forum, the gurus over there really appear to know there stuff. The interconnects I built really took the brightness out of the system as it stood before, almost sounded to dark till I got accustom to the sound. The caps & building the Seduction phono stage will be next winters projects.

Dean,

The recipe is Chris's, its a deviation from the silver wire using magnet wire instead. Good results with this design, as far as tonal balance and smoothing out the highs.

The Scott truly shines in the bottom end & punch dept. compared to Foreplay/Paramour set up. the transparency, mids, highs are incredible with the latter. It's my understanding with some more upgrades including output iron, I can better the low end, but that will have to happen down the line. Over all I'm very happy with what I'm hearing, it's a very sweet distinctive sound that draws you in wanting more.

Magnet wire is an excellent choice for those interconnects -- you did good.

You'll have fun doing the upgrades over time, and they will give you 'more'.

Don't forget to throw the Scott in there from time to time, and throw on some Led Zeppelin -- just to keep those caps broken in and your ears cleaned out.2.gif

Ok, here's my 'stupid' question for the day. What kind/make/manufacture are the input side tubes of the Paramours (in the complete system.jpg)? They have really short plates & that over the side getter material like the 12AX7 International Servicemasters I've been looking for.

And the RCA clear tops........cool

I'm looking for British RCA 7025 or 12AX7 smooth plates