Im going back to McIntosh AMPS !!!

j-malotky

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill, what wonderful components! A classic MC75 (for 3rd channel stereo?), a beautiful MC2102 tube amp, and an equally gorgeous C2200 tube preamp, plus a Sony, Denon, and Music Hall...WOW! Makes me miss my MC7200 (with those big blue power meters) even more!

Oh no...is that a dreaded fingerprint on the upper right hand side glass of your MC2102? Oh sweet Jesus, please wipe that off!6.gif

----------------

On 4/5/2003 11:39:19 PM dndphishin wrote:

Time to call out the "Oooooh - Ahhhhh" squad on that pic, Bill. What klipsch are hooked up to these???

----------------

I second that motion.

Bill, that is one sweet setup. You got our interest - We NEED to know what you are listening too.

Jim T, love all the pics. Sorry to hear about the tax man and lack of funds. That sucks.8.gif

JM

----------------

On 4/6/2003 7:44:48 AM j-malotky wrote:

..."Jim T, love all the pics. Sorry to hear about the tax man and lack of funds. That sucks."
8.gif

JM

----------------

Yeah, lack of business is scary enough...being unexpectantly laid off is sheer hell! After a month of unemployment, I finally start work again tomorrow. After I get my finances back in order, maybe then I can start to build up my system again...not the grand audio gear I once had, but who knows, right?

Hi All

Well I got my first 250 on Sat. Been playing with it in Sterio to my Khorns. Getting the second on Monday. Cant wait to get home next weekend.

Sound is a lot more detailed than with the NAD2200s I have been using. Can't wait to get the separation back when I plug in the second.

Comparing side by side, the 250 is very flat and amplifies every detail the same. Sounds very natural. The old 2200s are a bit more colorfull in the bass and vocal ranges. The MC is a nice breath of fresh air.

It is obvious when I was using my HT that I will need to add a third to my center channel, but that is another topic. I started a new thread in HT to talk about that one.

Anyhow, very happy with my 2501.gif

JM

Nobody ever commented on the 2100. Is it a POS? Mine has an issue with the left channel being weak, and I've wondered if it is worth fixing.

At 75 lbs., certainly not shipping it anywhere, but there is supposedly a competent shop about 25 miles from here.

Dave

JM,

Congrats!!

I was going to say something about the center channel....

I'm thinking of going the same way, but we are now about to drop some serious coin on the kitchen.

Just thinking preamp, three mcintosh amps, new silver wiring...???...sell the H/K.....

Thanks, I needed that. It's a pretty thing I was given for a half days labor helping a friend. I am a tube head, but not a fanatic. My Denon AVR-3000 with the Fraziers up front gets a lot of listening and makes me smile. Anyway, I need a couple of more amp channels for the 4 channel experiments discussed elsewere here.

Dave

P9200530a.jpg

Dave, what a coincidence...my other brother Tom has a MC2100 in mint condition (paid $495 on eBay) for his HT. The McIntosh powers his Acoustic Research AR9 loudspeakers, which are bi-wired using garden hose DH Labs cables. Hope you get your amp repaired...it is definately worth it!2.gif

post-11084-13819246879072_thumb.jpg

Got home after being away all last week and my 2nd MC-250 was waiting for me.

Got her wired up today. (Each amp in Mono) Hooked them up in 4ohm instead of 8 ohm. Sounds great. After I get some time in, I will hook them up in 8 ohm (per the other threads here) and see how it does.

Very VERY happy with them so far.

JM

Damn, wish I had another MC250 waiting for me when I get home from work! I'd be in Heaven for sure, and my Cornwalls would thank me every time I fired up my system!

JM, please let us all know how well the Macs sound as monoblocks, and any advantages you hear with your Klipschorns hooked up to the 4 ohm taps (and vise-versa).

Good luck, MacHead!4.gif

Bridging a stereo amp is not the same thing as a monoblock.

My experience with bridging is that it's poo-poo-ka-ka.

"Bridging is the summing of two channels of an amp to give one higher-powered channel. An amp normally rated at 100W might deliver 300W to 400W when bridged. Because of the summing however, the load on the amp is seen as half of its normal value. In other words, an 8-ohm speaker becomes a 4-ohm speaker load, and a 4-ohm speaker becomes a 2-ohm speaker load. Speaker impedance ratings are nominal only. Actual impedance may dip to a much lower value through part of its range. When an amp's current load has been doubled due to bridging, it can often fail to provide the required amount of current into the load. Sonic effects include harshness in the midrange and highs, and thin bass. In almost all situations therefore, biamping with similar amps will result in better sound quality than bridging. Bridging is best left to professional sound-reinforcement applications, where sound quality is secondary." -- John C. Aussie

I agree with Deans post about bridging as a general rule, especailly if you have a 100W or more per channel SS amp and you are running very eficient speakers where you do not need to drive an amp hard.

Two things that make the 250 a good choice for bridging is (1) the amp is only 50 watts per channel. You are putting a a fair enough load ratio evan if you are running 2-5 watts. and (2) McIntosh's Autoformer technology will manage the amp much better than other brands.

I have not spent a lot of time with my latest setup, but what I have noticed is much better imaging with mono 250s. I noticed the bass sounds tighter, not much change in mids and highs. Mostly more dramatic imaging.

Most of the improved imaging is having separate transformers and chasis grounds, less ground bleed having separates.

Will post more as I spend more time listening.

JM