Best subwoofer for around $1,400?

Kain

Which, in your opinion, is the best home theater subwoofer for $1,400? Remember that the upcoming SVS PB2-Plus falls in this price range too. Secondly, is the Klipsch RSW-15 any good for home theater? It seems that its performance below 30Hz is not great.

Booma,

Where did you find an HGS15 for $1400 and less?And lets get real here the HGS12 eats dust compared to the Sunfire Signature(same size and price,the Signature can be found for less!).

Heard that the HGS12 EATS DUST against the Sunfire Signature(compared them both side by side,and I own the Signature and the mighty HGS18).

----------------

On 4/12/2003 6:15:26 PM TheEAR wrote:

Booma,

Where did you find an HGS15 for $1400 and less?And lets get real here the HGS12 eats dust compared to the Sunfire Signature(same size and price,the Signature can be found for less!).

Heard that the HGS12 EATS DUST against the Sunfire Signature(compared them both side by side,and I own the Signature and the mighty HGS18).

----------------

Ear -

Seems like you own just about every piece of high end audio equipment available! I wish I had a real job and could afford to have a Sunfire Signature back up an HGS18. Don't you have a couple of SVS subs too? How much money in audio gear do you have in your home? $100,000? $200,000? I would be interested in seeing a list of all gear you have.

trvale,

I do have a few subwoofers,they are...

Sunfire Super Junior(had a Junior before!)

Sunfire Mark II

Sunfire Signature

Carver Knight Shadow (two of them for my gaming PC)

Velodyne HGS18

Revel B15

Aerial SW12

Klipsch RSW15

Klipsch RSW10

I had a Klipsch KSW12 and 15 at one time,Paradigm Servo-15 and PW2200.Now sold

I tested at home two SVS Ultra subs powered by a Carver TFM-75,plus more subs I can count

The only subs I did not test at home are the Wilson Watch DOG(just at the store) and the big JBL 18" monsters part of their ubber system.Most others I did test

As for how much money I did spend over the years on audio,hmm good question lets say probably over 100 grand.And its a good thing I deal at the stores and never pay even close to retail.

Hey Kain,

Have you considered DIY? That's a serious budget for a DIY sub. If you don't want to do DIY, have you checked if places like Acoustic Visions or Rutledge Audio can ship out to you? They offer reasonable prices and can custom build what you need. If you haven't already, I'd send them an email with your budget, listening preferences, and room size to see what they suggest. Don't forget to ask if they'll ship half way across the world3.gif.

If the two above options are out of the question, I think the PB2-Plus would be your best bet. Even though Tom V. recommended the HGS-18, I'm sure the PB2 will have higher overall output and I can personally vouch the sound quality of the db-12 driver is excellent.

I tell you what guys after being on this forum trying all these subwoofers

I went from a HGS18 which is junk by the way they I tried this SVS stuff that everyone raves about and finally settled on a pair of these babies

http://www.cerwinvega.com/products/professional/sl36b.html

with 2 Crown Microtech 2400 series amps and now I have what I call Bass when you are ready to make the step up to bass look into a pair of these

the only problem now is that the paint and my plasma are coming off the wall

I wish Klipsch made some Folded Horn Subs nothing sounds like a folded horn nothing,....3.gif

You may have alot of output out of that big Vega, but not much if any response below 30Hz. The frequency response is 30-300Hz it probably starts dropping like a rock at 30Hz down. That is why it is a professional subwoofer designed for open spaces (clubs, auditoriums, etc.) a good sub should be able to reproduce frequencies solidly into the 20hz and below region. You are missing a lower octave and it is probably dominant in the 50-60Hz range sounding like ten men beating on the side of a rubber raft.

"I went from a HGS18 which is junk by the way"

What the hell are you talking about? You dont have a clue what you just said,the Velodyne HGS18 may only be junk to deaf and brain dead.

The cerwin Vega bass bin you pointed is a giant boom box capable of lethal SPL,its output starts to drop like a stone around 30Hz.You call this boom box a subwoofer?!

well yes I am deaf and brain dead but the HGS 18 is JUNK !!!

and the SVS CRAP is not far behind...

I dont mean to offend anyone just getting the conversation interesting.

we are doing some tuning to these cabinets and I will post some new freq response graphs it is going down to 25Hz now with some minor mods want to get down to around 20Hz and that is good enough for me..

I will challenge any HGS SVS little girl cabinet to sound even close to one of these boxes.

now with a pair it just kicks butt.. the Velo sounds like farts sloooooowwwww like my cars bad pass box and SVS lacks even further behind.

but hey Im Brain Dead and I like it...

you would be better off any day with a pair of 6th order boxes with a 500W plate amp... OOOOOOHHHHHH BASSSSSS yeah right for the deaf....1.gif

OH OH I get the feeling that people are going to gang up on me for my comments come on is there anyone out there that can stand up to GOD?

anyway if I get hammered its my fault..

I doubt TheEars will stand up to the challenge for a while since he is going to have to buy the pair of cabinets and the twin microtechs to be fair in the comparison... unless he believes what I am saying...6.gif

I will update my signature to reflect my new stuff..

oh yeah by the way nice system Frank is that your daughters?

btw I dont know if you know this or not but stuped is someone that would could call someone else stuped.

when you switch over to something at least decent start calling me stuped.

my 11 year old daughter's system would put yours to shame.

sorry...9.gif

Good point on the "why is the Velo HGS-18 in his signature" well maybe ole' Ray will sell "the junky HGS-18" to some poor soul on this BB for a $100 since it is obviously worthless to him now. I'll take it!!!! I do have to agree that the Cerwin's would be more apt to keep up with the efficiency and overall output of the Belle's moreso than the Velodyne. But to be fair since he is using "two" bins you would have to use "two" HGS-18's to get a fair contrast. I am also sure those Cerwin bins are huge and the Velo's would obviously take up less space. But the problem is the lack of response in the lowest octaves with the Cerwin bins. Gotta admit though Cerwin Vega has always been associated with "BASS" I used to own a pair of D-8's and they had BASS! People rave about the SVS subs, but I just picture a crafted paper fiberboard tube with a woofer stuck in it, like a Bazooka for your house. I have heard the Bazooka's and they are just alot of boom, it is hard to imagine a single high quality 12" woofer would sound that good in a tube in your living room. If I think of how they are built I wonder why they charge so much. It would probably be cheaper to have a high end car audio shop build you a sub enclosure out of HDF, and using one of the many high quality subwoofer drivers that are out there and feed it with a high quality outbaord amp.