klf-20's vs. rf-7's

stevevannoy768

I currently own a pair of klf-20's and a c-7 center channel, and I was considering upgrading to the rf-7's and rc-7 my question is will there be a significant difference in the sound quality? and will it be worth the money? I think the legdends sound great, your feedback would be appreciated thanks.

Around here at my local hifi store they have a big sale every year called Eyes and Ears. This year there was a Klipsch Rep there. We got to talk for awhile and I ask him the same question (for I too own the KLF 20s) he said for the price I paid ($800) for my KLF 20s there was no reason for me to up grade. Rf7 are an awesome speaker but for the price and sound you get from the 20s there is really no need to up grade. Hope this helps. God Bless.

Jason<><

The KLF series and the Reference series each have their charms and deficits but both series are superb overall.

I have A/B'd my KLF30's with the RF7 and definitely preferred the KLF's. Others here would just as emphatically state that the RF7 is superior to the KLF30.

That said it is fair to say that a KLF30 pair will blow a pair of RF3's out of the room and that a pair of RF7's would lunch on a pair of KLF10's.

Overall I suggest that there may be some benefit in moving from a mid - range KLF system to a top end RF system but the difference will not likely be justified given the cost.

The midrange horn in the big Legends adds a sense of immediacy and realism that some feel is lacking in Reference. It's really just a perception thing, and also has a lot to do with what one has grown used to.

When I first saw the big KLF's, I wanted to like to them. I just found them too forward for my taste.

No one can predict what you will prefer -- you really just have to go listen.

In comparing the KLF30 to RF7 in an A/B situation I found the 30's to be warmer and somewhat richer sounding than the RF7 and to have more impact in the bass region. That said the important adjective is "somewhat" - in other words we are talking about a small distinction ) --- The difference in overall sound quality was not earth shaking and beyond that it was abundantly clear that both speakers were aiming at the same sonic goal.

I could have as easily lived (ecstatically) with either choice.

FWIW the 7's sounded a little ( a very little) remote as compared to the 30's while the 30's tended to be a little more - in my face.

In sum I found the 7's a little less aggresive in the midrange than the 30's but the 30's seemed a little more involving overall to me than the 7's.

Taken all around like a horse's heinney I could happily live with either.

You know what the KLF's sound like.

Go LISTEN to RF-7's.

No One here can tell you if you are going to like them or not.

If you have to listen really hard to hear a difference, then you don't have to upgrade. If on the other hand they blow the other ones out of the water then upgrade.

What I like you may hate.

Danny

I have the 7's and they're great but,I can't see a good reason to go from klf 20 to 7's(considering price diff).Unless you love the looks of the rf's,as I do,Or you plan on getting the entire reference 7 series.

I did listen to both,and many times(own two pairs of RF7's!)

The KLF30 has a little more bass impact,two 12" versus two 10".The KLF30 does have a midrange horn loaded driver,the RF7 does not.

For rock N roll the KLF30 is a monster in a good way

The RF7's tweeter is of better quality then the KLF series tweeter.The RF7 "tweeter" does cover a wider range then the KLF tweeter(2KHz and up for the RF tweeter and 7KHz and up for the KLF tweeter,the KLF midrange starts round 800Hz if I remember)

I find the RF7's more refined and more transparent then the KLF30's.Tested both with amplifiers costing MANY times more.

Better driver quality on the RF7's,the KLF drivers are less costly and its obvious(not a real factor here anyway),I inspected both removed from the speakers.

As is the RF7 worth the extra $$$ over the KLF20 or 30? Not really

Both the large KLF(20 & 30) have serious punch as well as the RF7's.

Both are true Klipsch

Listen and decide