Who makes speakers for Radio Shack?

big_gto

I know this is a Klipsch BB, and I own a pair of Klipsch, but does anyone know who makes Realistic speakers? I built a 15" 3-way system using all Realistic components. They sound fantastic. Like Klipsch someone must be doing something right at Radio Shack.

The general run of Radio Shack speakers are out and out crap but that still places them miles ahead of most speakers sold by Sears etc.

Radio Shack has however sold some decent units over the years but the problem lies in sorting the wheat from the bulldung.

Their Minimus 7's for example are direct knockoffs of the Visionik David which is probably the best subminiature speaker ever built. It is so good that many recording studios use them as monitors in the control rooms of their mobile recording units.

I use a pair of the little buggers as ambient rears with my system and the first time my buddy heard them used on my porch laughed and said " OK quit playing games ! Where are the speakers that I am actually hearing ? " He honestly thought that the Minimus's were props and that I had some larger speakers rigged up out of sight. 9.gifI finally had to have him put his head close to one of the speakers before he would believe where the sound was coming from.

Ah, RadioShack! Can't live with it; can't live without it.1.gif

I'm sure their receivers are Pioneer. Their older, big speakers actually were made in the states by Tandy, but I'm pretty sure all their current mini-speakers are sourced from the far east. Although that Lineaum tweeter may be made here - don't know.

I still own, and most of the time, use, four Minimus 77's, and five Optimus Pro 77's (basically the same speaker with a ported enclosure and a different grille). I also use their Pro SW-12 sub, in my HT with the Pro 77's. I bought'em all on sale. For the money, they are great little "utility" speakers.

At the risk of overstepping the bounds of propriety on the KLIPSCH Forum :-)

Over the years, ol' Radio Shack sourced some fine sounding drivers. The best known (well, best pedigreed) of these was the 40-1197 4" fullrange, which was more or less identical to the Fostex (Foster) FE-103. These have a cult following of sorts, but actually I think they're kind of harsh.

Another R/S cult classic was the dual cone 40-1354 5-1/4" full range. These 'get the midrange right' and can be magnificent in the right enclosure. I have a pair running in Bob Brines' ML folded TQWT cabinet designs, and at the moment they're sitting in front of my Cornwalls (they sound that good!).

Other "popular" R/S fullrangers have included the 40-1271, 40-1272, and 40-1286 dual cone 8" FR's, and the 40-1297 (IIRC) 4 x 10" dual cone FR.

All of these are discontinued, and many of us full-range nuts picked up supplies of them when closed out for as little as 97 cents@!

If you have any interest in this, visit James Melhuish's "Full Range Driver Site" at www.melhuish.org/audio, and also the "Full Range Driver Forum" linked thereto.

To your question, though: R/S also sourced a vast number of drivers for DIY over the years. Generally their drivers were built to their specs in the far east, but years ago many were simply rebadged drivers (especially woofers) from Utah and/or possibly other (US) driver manufacturers. Over the years, some decent hard- and soft-dome tweeters, at least one soft-dome MR, and piezos and horn tweeters came and went. R/S still sells the Fostex(?) add-on supertweeters which are held in pretty high regard, although a bit expensive.

Ebay can be a good source of pictures and (unsubstantiated)information.

Did this help at all?