Here's your chance to be REALLY cool!

Allan Songer

As far as I'm concerned, NOT HIP, and NOT COOL!

Not about the music....

this bragging about expensive collectibles is just his usual crass and gauche nuevo riche (racist) blather....

inconsistent and antithetical to the lives and spirit of the great personalities who created the tradition of this music to begin with...

Not cool, not hip, but rather OBSCENE , Offensive, and uninformed regarding the inside track about jazz or anything else.

Yah....you got lots of soul, MAN!

We are all SO impressed with your self proclaimed competitive edge and self appointed hipness.

Is this all you got, man? sheesh!

(find some NOS clues)

C&S

Willette had a deftness with his feet and a lightness of touch with the left hand that made him stand out in the sea of B3 jazz players that followed Jimmy Smith. I love his music and have been listening to him for over 25 years. "Face to Face" is a very special record, as it is not only Willette's finest hour, but it it also features the long underappreciated Fred Jackson on tenor and the best drummer EVER when a B3 was in the room, Ben Dixon. Add Grant Green to the mix and you've got a DREAM quartet. Their version of the silly Broadway tune "What Ever Lola Wants" blows me away every time I hear it, even when it's for the 200th (at least) time. It alwats gets me moovin' and a groovin', puts a big grin on my face and takes the edge off--- even when some bongo-loving ***got calls me "racist."

Allan,

I wouldn't bother with such idiots. I, for one appreciate your vinyl knowledge both in here and the audio asylum. This forum seems to attract more of the flames and such. There are lots of good folks in here, but the asylum moderators seem to do a better job of limiting such behavior.

I will be coming down your way in early July. Offer still open to drop in and take a listen to some of your collection?

I like rare LPs too, and will sometimes pay a bit more than usual if there is no other way to hear the music and in order to possess an important piece of the history in order to use it in a teaching context or even in a reissue project (if the material is out of copyright). It just seems that some of these posts come off like "look how hip I am because I own a $$$ record), and such an attitude strikes one negatively in relation to actual knowledge and understanding of the social context that the music came from. The more one really knows about that context the more the persistent bragging about expensive collectible LPs sucks. To pay that kind of $$$ for music, especially when available alternatively for $, is idiocy. That's my take and it is anything but hip and cool IMO.

C&S

That much for vinyl I suppose is a price many things are bought and sold every day. Sort of like artwork.

I got a 3 LP set of Nat King Cole for $8.00 delivered to the house in a linen covered box. Sounds flawless.

I am out to preserve the medium at a reasonable cost.

Some of these Blue Notes, MFSL and others seem to be people looking to make windfall profits.

I would rather spend $ 100 on a pair of AQ Coral interconnects than on one LP.

I love it when people like C&S try to wax intellectual spitting out really "grandiose" words in order to "try" and be "hip and cool" in a post where he is bashing the thought of being "hip and cool."

You are so "cool", whatever that means in the first place, for being "different" and in supposed emotional contact with the musicians that made this lovely jazz in the past. Who gives a **** how someone interprets music through their own ears and how they decide to spend their OWN money? I believe this post started as a means of informing fellow board members about an album they might be interested in inquiring. I doesn't however call for your "i want to be a smart guy" subtle insults calling people racist because you don't agree with their views or the way they worded their post. May I suggest you try starting your own thread sometime to discuss that which you find necessary instead of hijacking someone else's in a means to spread your proper propaganda.

----------------

On 4/13/2003 2:50:52 PM Audio Flynn wrote:

I would rather spend $ 100 on a pair of AQ Coral interconnects than on one LP.

----------------

Yes, but would those pedestrian AQ Coral interconnects make you really cool ? Lately I've taken to draping my Linn Silver 1.2m interconnects over the inside rear view mirror of my car, and now I have to beat the girls away with a short length of AQ Mammoth carpet snake when I'm out crusing the strip. Plus, the Linn IC's look better than fuzzy dice. 9.gif9.gif9.gif

C&S,

What's up with the poison pen lately??? Previously it was Kelly you were trying to skewer because he did not wax enthusiastic on the tri-amp project. I personally interpreted that there was tongue in cheek humor in Allan's post, while at the same time providing some teasing education. You could at least offer locations for alternative pricing of this LP, or some additional backround on BFW's recording career instead of the flame. A more real problem is the lack of education and exposure of the majority of Americans to Jazz, it's one form of indigenous musical art, which much of the rest of the world appreciates and supports more than we here in America. I would rather see your energy spent working together with others to help bring that exposure to Jazz music to the elemtary and secondary schools of California, and then maybe the nation. BTW, I also think it's great that there is enough appreciation for the music that some LP's have that kind of "Collector" value. Damn, that's not even what some would pay for a baseball card. Take a deep breath! Lighten up!

Klipsch out.

C&S,

Who pissed in your Cheerios? We are lucky to have a regular poster like Allan. His knowlege of jazz (and music in general) have contributed enormously to this board. Me thinks your post went a wee bit over the top. Pulling out the "R" card? Do you expect to be taken seriously? Please, take a pill....no, take 2.

Regards,

Chris

Thanks Chris!

And the invite is still there if you want to drop by some time and have a listen. I'd LOVE to play you some of these LPs I have on hand here that prove I'm crass,insensative, ignorant and racist.

Hey C&S--if you didn't see the humour in my first post then you are a FOOL and I invite you to suck my caulk!

OK, I apologize for any unjustified acusatory statements. Guess I was a cranky geezer....

I have been boosting and talking up Jazz and turning friends onto it my whole life. It is an emotional thing for me and I am passionate about it. Collecting $1000 Blue Note originals is a tiny fringe footnote in light of the big picture. I just think that there is a bigger perspective for turning on people to its wide range of rewards than always pushing how hip and cool it is to own some expensive collectible and to promote the idea that the way to be cool is to go after these exotic possessions at the competive price.

The point and soul of the music can be appreciated from recorded examples in any form. When you see a collectible that is prized, praised, and high priced that is perhaps a good indication that the music is worthwhile. Virtually the same musical experience can be duplicated by obtaining a reissued or inexpensive used LP or CD or whatever. Unlike the basball card which is a hobby based on "possession", music is about experience and knowledge and that can just as easily be gained with the cheaper recording. Since there is so much important history, why not promote something which is more widely and democratically accessible.

One of the best ways to build a Jazz collection is to be reading some of the thousands of books on Jazz and its history. These books mention recordings in context and often even simplify things by including a discography of the recordings mentioned. These days a great deal of this material is readily available in reissue or relatively inexpensive used vinyl or new CDs.

To me it is more about grasping the wider view than showing off and bragging about the $1000 collectibles. Promoting the collecting of such things as a way of learning about jazz seems highly impractical and could mislead the beginner.

C&S