Scott Cabinets--Anybody Seen This Website?

MBM135

Man, don't ask Craig about cosmetics -- he could just about care less. I don't even think he uses a case on his.

OTOH -- I went ahead and gave this a whirl, and can only say it's better than nothing. I would still prefer a nice original wood case, but I really don't feel like forking out the bucks.

The work with the 'case' in question is average at best. You basically get two predrilled, stained, plywood slats. Once they are on it looks better than you thought it would. The paint job on the metal grill sucks. It doesn't look like he does multiple coats over a couple of days for a nice smooth surface appearance, but instead looks like he poured a bucket of paint over it. Well, it's not that bad -- but I am glad my unit is shoved into a shelf so no one can see it.

I've been thinking about my own alternative to the screen. I'll probably come up with some nice before summer's end.

MVC-021S.JPG

Well heck if its brass color these would be easy to make yourself !! It would also be much nicer to actually make it so the wood was bigger than the face plate and goes around the entire perimeter of the face plate that install the brass colored grill .

I've recommend this young man to many customers because he is a nice guy and its the only option short of paying out a wazzoo on ebay.

Craig

I ordered a plain one and stained it myself. The wood is not the greatest, but stains up well. A mix of puritan pine and Early American, Minwax stain and 4 coats of water based polyurethane. I sanded between coats with 220+ grit wet/dry sandpaper. I ended up with a very smooth finish.

I actually had to recut the metal to fit (too wide), The shop at school helped. The case will not accommodate the new EH 7591 tubes due to the increases height of these tubes, although, I think I cut cut the grill in three pieces to leave a gap for the extra height. Flat Tremco black paint touches up any problems with the paint job. I like the grill because it breathes. The Scott produces a lot of heat, so there is a need to not trap the heat. It looks better than no cabinet and isn't noticable when it is in a rack. It won't be mistaken for Eathan Allen furniture, but then again, you don't need to take out a second mortgage.

Got one for my Scott/NOS Valves 299 from Marc and the finishing job was subpar. Marc immediately refunded me the cost of having the wood pieces stripped and refinished. Now, it looks fabulous. I went ahead and had the metal screen stripped and plated the same color as the faceplate. I'll post a picture soon. Marc, maybe you could offer different colors for the screens?

Regards,

Chris

BTW, I am a little worried about all the heat that the wood sides will be exposed to over the long run.... We'll see.

Nope... Still won't pass the WAF in my house. In a much heated argument, my wife threatened to though anything outside into the street if it was ugly. Needless to say, she thinks the scott is ugly.

When it comes to audio gear, it has to have the new style look and feel for her.