need to get more bass from my KLF30s!!!

Reference my post of 4/28 that calls for more bass from my KLF30s. I verified that the polarity is correct on both speakers and moved the one closest to the wall out a bit, which I think helped. Then I switched the bass out to mains to verify that they are producing bass. The speakers do put out bass, but not as powerfully as they should, which leads me to suspect that i need greater bass management options in my system. Should I start with my receiver? It is powerful enough at 100 watts per channel but is very limited in terms of bass management. Any suggestions for a good HT receiver that has such options? Both music and HT are very important and I dont want to give one up for the other! Thanks to everyone for your suggestions...it is a relief to know that the speakers are producing bass...I just need to kick it up A LOT!

have you checked to see if both woofers on both speakers are moving?

GEEZE-how much bass do you need!?

as lynnm said i also WITHOUT the rsw-15 can rattle glass w/klf-30's.

next idea, like freezin-MORE POWER!!

excellent bass management DOES make a difference, and also you need a SERIOUS sub to make a significant difference when klf-30's are your mains.

avman.

Now that you've checked the polarity of the speaker cables you may want to go inside the cabinets and make sure the wires from the binding post plate to the crossover to each driver is in correct phase.

The crossover's connections are labled on the crossover board as follows:

W1+ = Top woofer positive

W1- = Top woofer negative

W2+ = Bottom woofer positive

W2- = Bottom woofer negative

Just make sure pos. and neg. are connectd to the same tab on each woofer. Other than that you may want to get an SPL meter and start playing with speaker positions systematically and chart the results (i.e.- start 1" from side wall and 1" from back wall, move to 2" from side wall and 1" from back wall)

I quickly threw together an Excel spread sheet with a graph on Sheet 2 to show the results. Let me know if you want it.

tom-i beleive the internal wires are color-coded for polarity. i also would like him to check this as well, although i doubt they would not be hooked up correctly.

otoh, he may just be looking for a rediculous amount of bass. i can't conceive of anyone wanting more bass than properly working klf-30's can deliver...oops! oh yeah, i DID get a rsw-15...DOH!!

avman.

Very humorous!30's need more bass?You MUST need a new avr/amp.Are they in the corners?I have the rf7's and they have lotsa bass,I can turn my rsw 15 off and they still have loads of lows.I can unhook one speaker and still have enormous bass output,but only when in the corners.

i'll second or third the motion for an external amplifier....i was running a pioneer elite receiver at 90 watts per channel and the bass was just ok...

i hooked up and outboard amplifier...a carver m400t at first and now a carver tfm-25... and the bass is almost overwhelming....

i have a veleodyne ct-150 subwoofer that i never use for music....the bass from the klf-30's is so strong and goes very low....

get a good amp!!!!

• 1 year later...

----------------

On 3/15/2005 4:30:29 PM texican58 wrote:

Would someone direct me to a thread that illustrates a connection diagram or a clear explanation of how to connect an external amp just for bass?

thx...mitch

----------------

you actually run an external amp to power the whole speaker....

your receiver should have pre-outs for the left and right front speakers.... run that line-level output to a power amp and hook your KLF-30's (or whatever speakers) to the power amp....

(WOW - just noticed that this is a real old thread!!! i've gone through about four upgrades since my post back then!!)

1.gif

klipschlover -

I also have a pair of the Klf-30 speakers and since I wanted a little more low end, I was able to find a McIntosh Mq-102 Environmental Equalizer which worked really good on giving me the low end I was looking for. I no longer need this as I have bought a pair of Sonic Frontier mono-blocks . The McIntosh is in fair to good shape for its age, and could send pictures to you if you are interested in this ?