Anybody out there like country music?

lonestar, thanks for bringing country music to the forum. i have followed dac for quite awhile. i think i have owned a lp, tape, or cd of every song he has ever sung (including the x rated) at one time or another. they kept dissappearing from my collection because everyone loves it. i know for a fact i have purchased dac's greatest hits no less than ten times! i love to listen to george jones' "the fox on the run", and i still love to hear him sing with tammy wynette. what about trucking music live red sovine? also i must say that although i like a few new arists from time to time, i believe keith whitley, garth brooks, and toby keith are among my favorites of all time. keith whitley in particular could have really been something special. i can't get any of toby keith's songs out of my head.

----------------

On 3/7/2004 10:42:51 PM GRB wrote:

By the way, you know what happens when you play a country album backwards?

You get your truck back, your wife back, your job back...etc.

----------------

ok! That reminds me; what has 86 legs and 4 teeth?

The front row of the Grand 'Ole Opry.

Heard "Forever and ever Amen" by Randy Travis this weekend. Awesome newer country tune.

I am a rocker but like what works to be the country i grew up to respect county music of the 60s and before...Not the Rock and Roll knock off type.

Johnny Cash

Earl Monroe

Roger Miller

Glen Campbell

Ricky Skaggs

Some of the CD remasters that are out in the past 3-4 years are quite mamazing in vocal and instrumental detail. And these 3 guys had sme feel.

GC was a better picker than a singer songwriter.

The TV show did not help him gain any humility.

An undiscussed muic genre on this forum!

----------------

On 3/8/2004 10:47:11 PM joshnich wrote:

With all this talk about country singers, I had to post this picture of me and Jerry Jeff Walker picking in my living room!

Josh

----------------

Notice you had Scott Joplin on the piano behind you (which really got my jealous eye). I play 8 of his piano rags.. fun fun stuff.

What a great picture! I'd be braggin' too!

3.gif

I hardly, if ever, listen to country anymore, and in fact, I don't even have any in my CD collection. I just simply don't care for it, although I can certainly tolerate it, especially if played by a truly talented band/artist. Still, I am amazed at myself at just how many of those bands/artists mentioned in this thread that I recognized and even heard. In this area here were I live, it is difficult not to listen to country - the most popular radio station here is a country/western station. If I recall correctly, the top five most listened to stations here are all country stations, followed by a classic rock station, followed by two "alternative rock" stations.

Like many on here, when listening to country, I would much rather listen to the more "old school" type, not the modern "pop-country". That stuff grates on me just as badly as the "bubble-gum" pop, ala, N-Sync, Britany Spears, et al does.

I guess all those years growing up watching "Hee-Haw" on TV also helped. Is that show even on anymore?

Like Fini, my 16 yr old daughter listens to nothing but country (hates my bluegrass though). I like the old school country much better and love bluegrass. This new stuff is just irritating IMO but it seems to be making a comeback with teenage females for some strange reason.

Notice you had Scott Joplin on the piano behind you (which really got my jealous eye). I play 8 of his piano rags.. fun fun stuff.

What a great picture! I'd be braggin' too!

3.gif

----------------

You gotta love Playing Scott Joplin. Its about as fun as you can have on a piano. I find that after working on one of his rags that all of a sudden the hands kind of remove themselves from your body and start playing on their own! Kind of an out of body experience!

Josh

----------------

On 3/8/2004 1:45:03 PM joshnich wrote:

How could we forget Graham Parsons!!

Joshnich

----------------

The Flying Burrito Brothers rule!!!

There is still alot of great country music being made. It's just not being played on the radio. The same can be said for lots of styles of music.

I likeJ:

CASH Unearthed box set...TAS voted this best box set of 2003 (all styles)

Some George Jones - "the race is on" "Good year for the Roses"

Hank Williams Sr.

O'Brother-like Blue Grass and traditional

Grahm Parsons and other country rock

Emmylou Harris

cowpunk and all kinds of country influenced rock like COWBOY MOUTH or JASON AND THE NASHVILLE SCORCHERS.

Does anyone ever listen to old trucker music? Songs like

Give me forty acres, Who is the girl wearin nothin but a smile, freightliner fever, or diesel smoke. These are classic songs much like old country, with some tongue in cheek humor thrown in. Try Boxcar Willie sings Trucking songs.

Call it what you want... Kenny Chesney is some good listening, as is Toby Kieth! I like the older stuff also, Cash, Twitty, Nelson, Jennings... they all are good, just have to be in that kind of a mood, that's why I have a large cd collection.10.gif