Anybody out there like country music?

Hello fellow Klipsch speaker enthusiast. Does anyone out there

like real country music? I am from Corpus Christi, Texas located on the third coast-Gulf of Mexico coast-the Redneck Riveria. I enjoy

a wide range of music-Jazz, Blues,

Rock, Motown R&B, Classical, New Wave,some Punk and Real Hardcore Honky Tonk Country music. I am not talking about 99.9% of the paint by numbers crapola pablum that Nashville currently tries to push off to the public as country music. I am talking Webb Pierce, Faron Young, Hank Williams, Ernest Tubb, Bob Wills, Wynn Stewart, Ray Price, Lefty Frizzel, Hank Snow, Buck Owens, George Jones, Merle Haggard, Conway Twitty, Johnny Cash, Charlie Pride, Mel Tillis, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Johnny Paycheck, Vern Gosdin, Gary Stewart, David Allan Coe, Patsy Cline, Kitty Wells, Loretta Lynn,

Tammy Wynette and countless others. Plus the present day country acts that still carry on the tradition and play real country muscic. Nashville's majority present day version of country is really pop music or pop country. It ain't real country music in my highly opinionated opinion. Some of the pop country is good, but the pop crap should not dominate country radio. It is a crying shame when old musicians and new musicians can't get radio airplay because they are too country for present day pop country radio. I just prefer real honky tonk old style country muscic. I am 44 and top 40 music when I was growing up was widely diversified. Rock n' roll, pop, Motown R&B soul etc. Top 40 now is

Rap, boy bands-NSynch, Backstreet Boys etc., girl bands-Brittany Spears etc. Most of what is played

in top 40 country radio today sounds alot like 70's rock & pop music. There have been a number of songs speaking of the current situation in Nashville-my favorite

being the cover tune Murder On Music Row by Alan Jackson & George

Strait. Texas country musician Dale Watson has several songs- Nashville Rash, Country My ***. Heather Myles-Nashville's Gone Hollywood. There are more real

country musicians here in Texas than in Nashville. Some of the present day country acts I like- Dwight Yoakam, Jim Lauderdale,

Buddy Miller, Dale Watson, The Derailers, Heather Myles, Mark Chesnutt, Vince Gill, Allan Jackson, David Ball, Marty Stuart, Aaron Tippin, Billy Joe Shaver, Randy Travis, Ricky Skaggs, Keith Whitley, Junior Brown, BR-549 and numerous others. Shania Twain is a perfect example of Nashville pop. She is a very good looking woman in my opinion. Her first couple of cd's were actually country with a little pop. Well she is married to Jeff Mutt Lange, a famous rock & pop record producer-AC/DC etc. Since they have been married they have been a very successful team in putting out slicker than owl sh$t pop country that sells out the wazoo. Shania Twain is in my opinion a perfect example of style over substance. They use her good looks to sell her marginal slicker than owl sh$t pop. She is like cotton candy and has no redeeming value in music. Someone like Heather Myles who had a top 40 country song 3-4 years ago is too country for radio airplay. She is from the Bakersfield, California area and carries on in the honky tonk Bakersfield sound of Wynn

Stewart, Buck Owens & Merle Haggard. This rant has been fueled by a six pack of Rolling Rock Pale

Ale beer.

Regards, Mike

Johnny Cash is the only country music performer I can listen to without getting a stomach ache. But then, I would not necessarilly depict him as country... I have always considered his style and song catalog it to be a style of folk music.

Otherwise; Rock, Classical, and Jazz would be my preferences.

Mike,

Great post! Couldn't agree with you more. My daughter (14) is a big fan of "pop" ("poop"?) country, but I prefer Haggard and Cash (man, his new stuff is wild!).

One of my current favorite bands (especially heard live) is The Asylum Street Spankers. Have you heard them? From Austin, a pretty fine music city.

fini

Didn't see Marty Robbins in your long list of favorites!!!!!!

I've spent time in Nashville and its all about MONEY!!! They are pushing out the "Modern Country" sound to the masses so they can increase their market share. They (record companies) really don't care about the traditional C&W sound, though they make attempts at recognizing it, its just for more market share.

It is pretty sad when you tune in most country stations. You can't tell one artist from another.

Really like Junior Brown. Want to hear Buddy Miller (Buddy and Julie Miller), after reading an interview in Tape Op magazine. Swing music.

Marvel

Mike,

I don't identify with the recent Nashville extrusions, but am quick to acknowlege that there are copious treasures in country music. You don't mention bluegrass, a rich and integral aspect of the genrethe roots where many of the real gems are to be found. Are you thinking of bluegrass as a completely separate genre? "Will The Circle Be Unbroken" is a timeless collection (even though it was recorded in the '70s) that set should be in the library of anyone even remotely interested in the roots of American music. Hank was nearly as prolific and influential as Irving Berlin. One of my personal favorites is Patsy Cline. Along with Loretta, Johnny Cash and others, she popularized country and helped move it beyond Appalachia. As Nashville has evolved to some form of nascar pop, another segment has moved back toward the roots. And back toward Texas apparently. Have you ever heard a gal named Kelly Willis? If you ever get a chance ot hear her live don't pass it up.

We have friends in Nashville with a few connections. We spent one memorable evening backstage at the Grand Old Opry where we listened to the show from the wings and shook hands with a number of old school musicians. We also used to go down to lower Broadway and listen to BR549 at Robert's when they were playing for tips. It was apparent that they were just paying their duescouldn't believe an act that good was playing a beer joint like that. Now Robert's is almost as famous as BR549.

John

Pop Country is the 90s version of the disco S#!t from the 70s. it is "Music for the lower 50th percentile". My quote.

I like the real country singers, Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Emmylou Harris, etc., but the Shanian Twain, Dixie Twits, and himbo counterparts, etc., make me want to hurl!!

I used to listen to Country music, but started drinking heavily, got a mullet, lost some teeth in bar room brawls, divorced my wife, bought a pickup truck, put a rebel flag in the back window and gun rack, and bought a blue tick hound and named it blue.

On a more serious note all I can handle would be older Garth Brooks, some Dwight Yoakum, and of course Johnny Cash, a few tunes by Jerry Jeff Walker, Charlie Daniels (Is he country?), and maybe one or two others. All the new stuff does not even sound like country. Yuk!

Hello guys, thanks for responding.

I love country music and have some friends that also love it. I have some friends that would rather face a herd of charging rhinos than listen to country music. Jtice, yes I forgot to mention Bluegrass-the roots of country music. Will The Circle Be Unbroken is a classic gem. The song Murder on Music Row was written and recorded by a bluegrass band-don't remember who. Alan Jackson & George Strait covered it. It was a controversial song taking a jab at

Nashville. Some radio stations refused to play the song. I found it very funny when Alan Jackson &

George Strait performed the song several years ago at the CMA award

show. They panned the audience while the song was being played and there were numerous country artists mouthing silently to the camera-no not me-as in they were not murderers of country music. Kelly Willis is excellent, I bought some of her music back in the early 90's when she had a Nashville contract & I have her current music also. She now lives in Austin and is married to one of the Robison brothers-Bruce from Bandera, Texas. Both Bruce & Charlie Robison are excellent singer/songwriters of Texas country music. Charlie is married to one of the sisters from the Dixie Chicks. Hobbit, I am a big Marty Robbins fan. I forgot to mention him. Fini, I will have to

check out the Asylum Street Spankers. We have an FM radio station here with a Texas Radio format. They play 80-90% Texas music-blues, country, rock. It is an excellent station and I have been exposed to alot of new Texas

country artists. We have a club, The Executive Surf Club-bar/

restaurant/outdoor patio for music. They support and book a wide variety of the Texas groups. Bands I have seen at the Surf Club Jimmie Vaughan(Stevie Ray's older brother), a badass guitar player in his own right. Steve Earle, Junior Brown, the Derailers, Dale Watson, Ian Moore, Dick Dale, Charlie Robison. Ray Wylie Hubbard

is a Texas gem. He wrote the song

Up Against The Wall Redneck Mother

that Jerry Jeff Walker had a hit with in the 70's. Ray Wylie was a Texas Outlaw who thumbed his nose

at Nashville & did not become a mainstream name because of it. He has kicked his bad habits-booze & drugs and has been putting out good music-country/blues storytelling songs. His new cd Growl has a very good song on it called Screw You, We're From Texas, the song is about Texas music. It is a tongue in cheek song & you might have to be a Texan to fully understand the song. Us Texans are very proud of being from Texas. Some people can sometimes mistake that pride for arrogance. Sometimes it can be arrogance & we need to be slapped

down & be put in our place. I have lived in New Mexico-Clayton, west

Texas-Lubbock & Midland. and now again in south Texas-Corpus Christi where I was born & raised. I worked in the oil & gas business for 16 years with Amoco Production Co. in natural gas processing plants. Due to the volitle nature of the business I had to transfer numerous times to keep a job. Was laid off in 1997 when they shut down the 2 post world war II(built in the late 40's) gas plants. Too much money to retrofit the compressors & other sections of the plant to meet EPA emmissions. Amoco sold the leases & natural gas and tore down the plants. I don't know if people in other states in the good old USA

have as much pride in their state as most Texans do. My best friend

Carter has been in the Navy for 19

years and is going to retire in November with 20 years. I have known Carter since we were 6 years old in the 1st grade. Carter has lived in San Diego, Cal. & Fallon,

Nevada for the majority of time when he was not out on 6 month sea duty. He is currently living in Fallon, Nevada. It is about 70 miles east of Reno. The Navy has a large base there. Carter still considers himself a Texan even though he has not lived in Texas for 19 years. Most Texans have this mindset. Well enough of my rambling for now.

Regards, Mike

'Bout time somebody talked 'bout country music. My favorite type is alt country, especially Texas alt country. Love those guys with 3 names. Jerry Jeff Walker, David Alan Coe, Ray Wiley Hubbard, Willie F****n Nelson, Willis Alan Ramsey and Robert Earl Keen just to name a few. The 2 name guys aren't bad either. Buddy Miller, James McMurtry, Steve Earle and on and on. I also listen to Lucinda Williams, Alison Krause, Emmylou, Ricky Scaggs, Merle, Doc, etc., etc.

If you get the chance give a listen to KPIG radio out of Freedom, California. It is imo the single best non-jazz or classical music station in the freakin' world. Go to their website (kpig.com) and take a look at their playlist and you'll get the idea. Low or no compression and no nonsense jocks. I read in either US News or Newsweek that KPIG was the number 1 most listened to radio station on the web before all the bs happened with the recording industry last year. I subscribe to it now through Real Networks to hear it and I HATE paying money for what would normally be free.

Anyway, I'm going to go spin Lost Highway's Hank Williams tribute album "Timeless" on my turntable. Its a very cool record. Pale blue (almost see-through) vinyl with one record of original Hank songs and another record of contemporary artists doing the same songs.

Regards,

Chris

• 10 months later...

After reading the list of folks favorite DVDs it made me wonder why no one had picked any country so I did a search here and this is about the only thread. HMMM, I enjoy a little bit of country but the old folks that are playing much anymore do not have music out that will allow me to utilize the setup the way it should be heard. So we keep the CDs in the 2 channel setup.

I would like a music DVD of Garth B. I saw him in concert and he does put on a good show even if he is a little on the POP side.

I really don't care for the newer ones except Allison Krauss which is blue grass. I like the older ones like Waylon Jennings is awesome and Hank Williams senior is the king. I like Hank jr. but not as well. Don't mind a little George Jones, Willie Nelson especially with Waylon. Johnny Cash is good, some of the newer ones i don't mind Travis Tritt. Some of Toby Keith's stuff i like that tune i love this bar. I listen to everykind of music their is. I beleive if you listen to any genre their is bound to be something you like in it. Otherwise your just close minded and missing a world of experiences.

Thanks LonestarBlues.... this thread has listed out a wealth of potential artists that I need to look at. I have been listening to country from the 60's and 70's. Stuff like Charlie Pride, Lynn Anderson, Jeannie C Riley, Billie Jo Spears, Merle Haggard, Glen Campbell, Charlie Rich... this list goes on.

Here in Houston, we have 97.1 Country Classics, country from the 60's through the 80's. It's a good station, but unfortunetly they stick with mostly hits. So, I'm always searching for artists that I'm not familure with. You post has helped in that respect. Rock on dude. ..... Brad

Texas has put out some fine musicians.

Lyle Lovett

Ricki Lee Jones

Delbert McClinton (I THINK he's from TX-could be wrong)

I LOVE the band Asleep at the Wheel

Stevie Ray Vaughn (not 'country' by any stretch, but the influence is hidden in the heat)

ZZ Top (especially early ZZ... sizzles!)

Marty Robbins

I happen to like the Nashville 'sound' because it is so punchy and clear, but the majority of the pop that is produced with that sound leaves me cold.

forrest

sure, Norah Jones!

;)

"Just to let you know, I think that the best country western song was written by Mick Jagger! Which says a lot about my take on the stuff that country western calls "music". Decades ago, Mick drawled in his distinctly British twang:

"A man came on the radio, and he said, you know you always have the Lord by your side.

I was so pleased to be informed of this, I ran twenty red lights in his honor!

Thank you, Jesus, thank you, Lord."

When he sang those words to live by on "The Girl with the Far-Away Eyes," I never came closer to country music. Even writing this made me fire up the tubes for the local smooth jazz station. If anybody could get me close to that stuff they call country music, it would be a lesbian cowgirl as handsome as Keanu Reeves. Thankfully, K.D. Lang is now on the pop/jazz side of the road. "

You're right about Texas. Some great musicians have come from TX. Obviously not all country. I lived in Ft. Worth for 3 years and we used to go to Billy Bob's Texas (giant honky tonk). We saw some great bands while there: Lyle Lovett, Jerry Jeff Walker, Dwight Yoakum and Charlie Daniels. I listen to a wide variety of music and still love driving my kids nuts every now and then by turning up some Guitars and Cadillacs by Dwight. Makes me LMAO. By the way, you know what happens when you play a country album backwards?

You get your truck back, your wife back, your job back...etc.