Personal Revew Of My New Rega Planet 2000 (Need Some Advice)

arena

I was looking for a dedicated cd player to replace the Sony DVP-NS700P DVD player I was using, which I felt was too harsh in the treble region.

Based on recommendations from this board and audioreview.com I purchased a Rega Planet 2000 off audiogon.com.

It arrived a few days ago, and after 75 hours of continuous burn-in (I don't know if I really believe in burning components in, but better safe than sorry I guess) I did a some A/B comparison between the Planet and the Sony. I'm running a pair of Klipsch RP-3s through a Harmon Kardon HK3370 Reciever, by the way. I was skeptical that there would be a significant difference between the two players, but if anything I thought I would be able to convince myself the Rega sounded much better, having paid $525 for it.

I'll skip the comparisons regarding imaging soundstage etc. Though these things are important I was most concerned with tonal differences. Here's what I found:

Highs/Treble: Here the Rega seemed an improvement over the Sony. For the test cds I used 'Homogenic' from Bjork and 'Different Class' from Pulp. Both are great recordings with which I am very familiar. The highs on the Planet sounded a little more clear, defined, distinct, and articulate than the Sony. However, the difference wasn't as notable as i expected, and much of the harshness in the Sony was also audible in the Planet, especially on The Rolling Stone's 'Miss You'. The snare on this track sounded harsh enough to be distracting on both players.

Lows/Bass: Here, surprisingly, the Sony clearly outperformed the Rega. On the Sony DVD player, the bass on Weezer's 'Say It Ain't So' was definately present, but tight and restrained, exaclty as I feel bass should be. When I switched over to the Rega, however, I literally couldn't believe my ears. The bass sounded surprisingly bloated, exagerated, and sloppy. Really the best way to describe it is "flatulent". I'm not really a big fan of overdone bass, but I don't think even the most obsessed bass fiend could prefer the Planet's interpretation of the song over the Sony's. The Rega's emphasis or exageration of the bass made me somewhat skeptical of the player in general. Perhaps the engineers at Rega baised the Planet towards the low end in order to better simulate the warmth of analog or vinyl. However, this simulation struck me as somewhat unnatural.

Mids/Midgrange: After listening to several cds I found that the midgrange on the Planet was somewhat smoother and more detailed than the Sony, but somehow seemed less present, especially on Bob Dylan's 'Time Out Of Mind' and Led Zepellin's '1', two of my favorite discs. Though the midrange of the Sony sounded less refined than the Planet, it was somehow "there" in a way that the midrange on the Rega failed to be.

After the A/B comparison, despite the sweetness of the Rega's highs, there is no way I could prefer it over the Sony DVD player given its exagerated bass and apparantly absent midrange. This might all be a matter of personal taste however. Perhaps I prefer the more aggressive or "in your face" sound of the sony over the restraint or understatement of the Rega. Even though the Sony seemed to suffer from the very slightest distortion across the sound spectrum, it was just there in a way the Rega wasn't.

I won't be keeping the Rega, but I'm not too worried about getting my money back out of it on Ebay. Perhaps someone will prefer its more neutral, restrained, or refined sound.

But I'm wondering if any of you can recommend a player that combines the aggressive, "in your face" sound of the Sony with the smoothness of the Rega's treble?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Arena,

I would recommend you get yourself a Sony SCD-CE775. It is an extremely good SACD/CD player (no DVD) 5-disc carousel. It has been favorably compared to $1000+ CD players and that's not even comparing it to its SACD performance, just its Redbook performance.

There is one (probably more than one) on Audiogon right now. This machine is a steal at $150. According to those who have compared it, it is just slightly below quality of the much-more expensive Sony SACD machines.

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?dgtlplay&1058370734

This is probably the biggest bargain in audio today.

P.S. I wouldn't use the word "neutral" to describe the Planet!!!

----------------

On 5/18/2003 8:21:36 PM paulparrot wrote:

I would recommend you get yourself a Sony SCD-CE775.

P.S. I wouldn't use the word "neutral" to describe the Planet!!!

----------------

I'll definately look into the SCD-CE775.

By "neutral" I meant a little on the lifeless side compared to the Sony.

Guess I should have been more careful with my choice of words, usually neutral refers to a flat frequency response, and it seemed the Rega has a bias towards the low end.

Any more suggestions?

Thanks again.

"I'm running a pair of Klipsch RP-3s through a Harmon Kardon HK3370 Receiver."

A $260 receiver is probably not the best thing to use on a pair of RP-3's. Sell the Planet, sell the 3370, keep the Sony you have and buy a nice Creek integrated or something. To get rid of the rest of grain you need to upgrade the crossovers in the RP-3's.

I wanted to address your question before but then, as now, am not sure what you should do. I think your best bet would be to address the amp/receiver problem. That is, purely for 2-channel use, I would buy a Scott integrated amp and a pair of older used Klipsch speakers of your choice. I imagine the result of that change will be much greater than the CD player issue.

I have a Scott 222-C that Craig restored for me and, for now, a pair of Klipsch Heritage KG2.5 bookshelf speakers, a Klipsch SW12II sub, and an old cheap $99 Sony carousel CD player that I bought years ago to use for continuous music play while entertaining. This mish-mash setup ain't shabby for 2-channel use.

One day I plugged the speaker wires from my KG2.5's into my Synergy KSP300's. I wasn't impressed with the sound of the Scott and the Synergy's, although i didn't adjust the speakers bass output and only listened for less than 5 minutes. The 'synergy' just wasn't there.

I believe the answer to your search for good 2-channel CD sound lies in a good tube amp, old Klipsch speakers (Chorus???) that will play as low as you want for music, and an average CD player.

If you get down around Birmingham, AL look me up. And bring the Rega with you!9.gif Good luck!

Keith

----------------

On 5/18/2003 9:19:18 PM talktoKeith Wrote:

Purely for 2-channel use, I would buy a Scott integrated amp and a pair of older used Klipsch speakers of your choice.

----------------

I will most likely end up with a tube amp after I settle on a good cd player.

I'm completely satisfied with the RP-3s for now. Maybe a few years down the road I'll go with some heritage Klipsch, but I'll stick with the RP-3s until then.

----------------

On 5/18/2003 9:07:31 PM DeanG wrote:

A $260 receiver is probably not the best thing to use on a pair of RP-3's.

----------------

I agree, the RP-3s are the only part of my current system that I don't plan on upgrading, but if I'm going to start upgrading I figured I should start at the source.

Does anyone have any experience with a Sony SCD-C222ES?

Thanks again.

"...but if I'm going to start upgrading I figured I should start at the source."

Uh, you just did that by putting in the highly regarded Rega -- and you can still hear the grain and hash. The problem is not your source -- it's your freaking cheap *** piece of crap receiver.

Whoops, time to up my meds.9.gif

----------------

On 5/18/2003 10:37:34 PM DeanG wrote:

you can still hear the grain and hash

----------------

Well I don't really hear any grain and hash, the upper extremes are just a little harsh or piercing, but only on certain recordings.

----------------

On 5/18/2003 10:37:34 PM DeanG wrote:

The problem is not your source -- it's your freaking cheap *** piece of crap receiver.

----------------

Would you recommend a modern integrated amp, or a vintage tube amp? What specific brands and models do you have in mind?

Thanks again.

With the RP-3's I would definitely go for a nice Scott 299a or 299b -- or if the budget is tight, I think it would be hard to beat the new Creek. I think it comes in at less than $500. When funds permit -- I may very well end up with one of these myself. The previous model can be picked up used for around $350. It ain't as pretty though.

a50i.jpg

a50i_top.jpg

I admit from the outset that I have never listened to any Rega CD player, but quite a few respected BB member commented favourably on it. Yes, it's in the end your ears/taste that matters (!!!), but before you give up on this machine you might find it worthwhile to upgrade your amp first. If you are planning to give tubes a try I recommend getting in touch with Craig (NOSValves) and see if he has got some amp which falls within your budget. I think only after upgrading your amp you can really judge the Rega.

Just my 0.02.

Wolfram

"Perhaps the engineers at Rega baised the Planet towards the low end in order to better simulate the warmth of analog or vinyl."

This is certainly true, and one reason our members rave about this unit. It is unique in it's price range to be able to deliver a smooth and less "digital" sound - what Rega strives for.

I don't care what player you get, the Rolling Stones' "Miss You" will sound like crapola on just about any machine. I feel your pain, but even the Rega can't turn a molehill into a mountain. This will be an issue on any machine you try. Some machines will sound better than others on such material - but no deck will be the cure-all in this situation.

I can most certainly understand your desire to sell this (especially if it's not your flavor), but I would encourage you to keep it for a bit (especially if it is in your plan to upgrade amp/preamp soon). If you keep this a few months, it shouldn't hurt your resale value too much (in fact, fall brings higher selling prices, since more folks shop for gear in fall than in summer, when they are playing outside). I personally do not think that the H/K will bring the best out of this player.

DeanG has given some very good advice here as well.

A day or two comparison is not terribly valid. Spend a week to a month with it then comment.

Also others stated, rightly, that the remainder of your system is far below the Rega in quality. This has an impact and is impossible to quantify.

Perhaps your acceptance of the old DVD player was its synergy with the remainder of the system. They all worked well together, in other words. The Rega might be trying to extend the signal past what the other components can provide. Maybe.

First step is to spend longer; I am sure if you got it on audiogon there is no return policy so you can spend a week or a month with no change in financial situation.

You are 100% correct in having the best source you can afford. Don't let this deter you.

Most of the comments I've read on this board have been about the original and lower priced REGA PLanet. Kelly for example, stated he liked it better than the Rega 2000.

I asked my local Rega dealer about the two and he felt the original had a rolled off high-end which made it a good fit for Klipsch but he felt the 2000 was clearly a better product for the systems he sells.

There was a test between the original Rega and a DAL Card Deluxe and the three listeners felt they were very similar with at edge to Dave Mallett's PC.

I'm going to sample the new Stones SACDs...not sure if I want to replace all my old Stones CDs but if it's notably better then have ebay will sell.

arena,

You have every right not to like the Rega. And your evaluation seemed more than fair. So stick to your guns. You're going to be listening to whatever you buy, not me, and not anyone else who happens to love it. Since you initially are this opposed to its sound, experience shows that you will probably dislike it even more later, especially if you are talked into keeping it against your better judgment.

While I agree that other equipment can always be improved, there is no way in the world that a CD player can be so good that it sounds bad on less than great equipment. It is possible to have the subtlest qualities of a CD player held back by other equipment, sure. But it is not possible that a great quality CD player is going to sound worse than a mediocre CD player because the rest of the components are just so-so.