Klipschorn Disassembly

The last time I moved a pair of Klipschorns, I left them completely assembled including the side grills. This time I would like to split the cabinet and remove the grills to reduce any risk of damage. Can anyone describe what is involved in splitting the cabinet, or refer me to any previous thread that covered this topic.

Thanks in advance!

Still in shock,

triceratops

Yep, Paul & Edster are correct-2 wingnuts hold the top section to the bass unit and 4 more wingnuts hold the side grills on. After taking these off and disconnecting the speaker wires from the top your Klipschorn are now "bare".

Congrats on the Klipschorn purchase.

Jeff

Edit:With this post I've reached FREAK status-not sure if that's good or not2.gif

Truth in Advertising ?

We always knew you were some kind of freak 9.gif

Have you recently nailed a pair of Khorns ? I have had mine for 2 days after wanting a pair for 30 years and am in Gloryland ! Mine are 1982 models. The tops are held on by two bolts and the side grills by another two.

Thanks lynnm-I thought I was the only one to consider myself a Freak3.gif

Actually while not really a long term Klipschorn owner (I've owned mine since October 2002) I've had the pleasure of trying many a different amplifier on them and am probably one of a handful who like SS better on my Klipsch.

If you want the whole story check out "Nothing can stop me from picking up my Klipschorns" in the search area,its an interesting read.

Jeff

Hey Lynn-

That is really great. I heard Khorns for the first time in about 1973 and have lusted for them a long time. I finally got a pair of 1981 Klipschorns in early 2000, but sold them a year later when we moved to smaller quarters. Have since regretted not keeping those--this is my second chance at super horniness!

Best,

triceratops

I too had wanted Khorns ever since I heard them at a high end audio stores in my home town in Texas in the mid-seventies. I had owned Heresy's on various occasions over the years, Forte's from 1988-1999, then I got Belle's and Heresy II's and most recently the God's smiled upon me and I was able to get a pair of '88 OO Khorns and a pair of LBS La Scala's. I immediately parted with my Belle's to cover the cost of the Khorns, I think it is awesome that so many members on this board have hooked up with a pair of Khorns over the past few months. Everytime I see a pair advertised I try and bring the info to this board. Nothing like kicking back, dropping a CD in the player, dialing in the volume, and enjoying the incredible sound of a pair of Khorns.

So, How tall is the Khorn w/o the HF section? I'm wondering if a pair would fit between the wheel wells of a '94Toyota standard bed pick-up. After removing the HF section, and with proper cushioning, would laying them on their face be OK? I'd prefer not removing the shell (on the truck). I ask the questions as I still have a little toe in the water for getting a pair in the next couple of weeks. If I get 'em, a couple of pairs of Cornwalls must find new homes...

fini

Without being able to take a precise measurement for you, I would say about 40" tall without the HF section and about 31" wide across the front section. There was a thread somewhere that had actual measurements. Maybe do a search on picking up Klipschorns. I hope you hook up Fini!

fini-

Everyone is correct, bass bins are about 39.5" tall. I was able to fit one lying across on the inside of my 2003 Explorer, so I would think you should be able to squeeze it between the wheel wells. If not, you should be able to angle one in, then push it up against the truck cab. As Edster said, bring plenty of padding. I had tons of old pillows, towels, comforters, flannel sheets, etc when I moved mine. Used every one of them too, so I was glad I brought lots.

I would also bring along several bungie cords. I didn't need mine, but then everything was very snug in my Explorer. For inside the pickup bed, things might want to move around more as you drive. Certainly wouldn't want to accelerate and hear them slide back to the tailgate.

fini,

Just to reconfirm,you have plenty of room for padding.Mine fit in a 1978 Suburban.If you use a tarp,be sure it doesn't flap on the speaker surface at all.I messed up a BMW motorcycle not realising how much damage a tarp could do,& it was mostly_ tied down tight.

SSH

I may choose our Toyota Sienna as a transport vehicle, but I may be jumping the gun. Where are the keys?...

fini

P.S. Hey, have you guys seen these interest rates? I'm considering refi-ing again! Anyone got a good connection for a great rate?

Fini, here's a tip ... Rent a minivan for a day or two (go to www.hotwire.com for REALLY cheap rental rates with Hertz, Avis, etc.), remove the seats and DRIVE unlimited miles. The Khorns will fit with lots of room to spare, they'll be out of the weather, and you won't put miles on your our sled.

I did 725 miles in one day to get mine. You should have seen the look on the Hertz attendant when I brought it back (with a full tank)that evening. He just about dropped his drawers. $37 for the day with a Ford Aerostar, tax included.