Manual transmission vs. automatic transmission

KAiN64

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never get an automatic in a sports cars, unless you have such difficulty shifting quickly that an automatic will actually decease your 1/4 time.

I wouldn't get the Audi anyway, unless its just Audi love. If money is an issue I'd get an subby STI, it will smoke the S4 in all areas except above 100 mph; plus u save over 10000-15000 grand which could be used for mods, which will then own the s4 in every aspect. Of couse, it wont look as fancy to those who dont know cars. If moneys not an issue I'd look into an M3 or a Z06(if 4 door dont matter). The M3 has class, and it will smoke the S4.. For me, just out of principle, performance to price is important, even if money is not an issue. I love to drive

----------------

On 5/27/2003 2:08:08 PM Toxic Mule wrote:

Never get an automatic in a sports cars, unless you have such difficulty shifting quickly that an automatic will actually decease your 1/4 time.

I wouldn't get the Audi anyway, unless its just Audi love. If money is an issue I'd get an subby STI, it will smoke the S4 in all areas except above 100 mph; plus u save over 10000-15000 grand which could be used for mods, which will then own the s4 in every aspect. Of couse, it wont look as fancy to those who dont know cars. If moneys not an issue I'd look into an M3 or a Z06(if 4 door dont matter). The M3 has class, and it will smoke the S4.. For me, just out of principle, performance to price is important, even if money is not an issue. I love to drive

----------------

Did you read the latest issue of Car and Driver? The Audi S4 HAMMERED the BMW M3 and the Mercedes-Benz C32 AMG.

Toxic M.,

Right on an manual gearbox all the way.Automatics are for skill challenged or lazy people.

I would get a Mitsubishi EVO over the Subaru(also a great car),the EVO is one heck of a performer too.

A4 very good car,M3 better car IMHO.More performance and like all the M series a true sports car,the motor is a masterpiece in the M3.

Actually, Car and Driver liked the Audi S4 engine more than the BMW M3 engine particulary because it is now a true 4.2 V8!

Secondly, handling is better on the S4 too due to quattro. The S4 got a 10/10 on handling and a 10/10 for its engine.

Audi is nice, but I'd take anything BMW to it hands down... I am a BMW lover. We have had two so far... VERY solid cars. Joy to drive. 9.gif Even our new luxury sedan has more get up and go than a normal person needs... and it is made for luxury.

I'd also go manual as i just find them more enjoyable to drive... even for a urban guy like myself.

As for the Audi... I think you'd be better served by an older, small manual pickup to be able to haul all those used Klipsch Speakers around... something like a Mazda B2000 with a manual transmision... i hear 1987 was one of the better years 9.gif9.gif and it should cost you 30000$ to 35000$ less than the A4. I realise that they are very hard to find, but i might be able to do something for you... 11.gif

Rob.

I'd take the manul all the way! A manual offers the only true driver enjoyment, though an SMG Tranny comes darn close, it is even faster in some cars than a manual.

I'd go Audi over BMW now. It used to be the other way around but Audi's current lineup is just unbeatable. I don't particularly care for the new M3.. the engine is good but I've heard of problems with engine dying, and for the price it is simply less refined than the S4.

I find this thread very interesting. I have been an auto tech for many years. I have seen a huge decline in stick. The public just doesn't want stick. If you ever plan on saling the car in the future then you have to get automatic, or you will lose your a$$. Now that I have said my obversations, I am a stick lover also. Only in cars though. You can't beat a automatic for towing with a truck.

Hell, if you're going to be spending that kind of money, want performance and reliability to boot, get a 93-98 Toyota Supra TT. Spend less than $1000 on some mods (boost contoller, exhaust, etc..) and put down over 400 HP to the wheels. They can handle decently too.

A nice car...but look at the STi or the EVO. My girl just bought a Impreza WRX, and it rips quite nicely....and 227 horsepower to the STi's 300!

My buddy at work bought an EVO, and it will smoke the WRX (not to mention the audi).

Stick shift is often an affectation and doesn't provide better performence in all cases. It depends on the motor's power characteristics; big torquey motors don't benefit from stick shift (as The Ramchargers showed in the early 1960s) but smaller motors that need winding and constant gear drops do. V-8s are best with automatics save such high-strung V-8s as the 32-valve Mustang Cobra engine which was the kind of engine that needed winding and lots of gear drops, 320hp from a normally aspirated 281 ci engine will do that. Now that the motor is supercharged I doubt it has that problem.

Personally I don't get the attraction of these fast, small motored cars like the Subaru, save that they're cheap. I like the easy, effortless push in the back from a V-8, push the pedal and go. I've owned winders and torquers and prefer the torquers.

I may be wrong, since M3's have slowed downed in the quarter over the past 3-4 years and since the s4 is awd(i think). But M3's run below 5 sec from 0-60 and the S4 times i saw were mid 5. But get a 2001 M3. However, that being said awd rules in real world cornering.

the ear, yes the evo is a great car, i love it. Its unreal how well that thing handles and launches,considering the price. Nothing like smokin a V8 with a four banger. But the STI is quicker, about 4.8 to 60 is the estimate. Both great cars for the money. I just like the subbys cause they use a boxer engine, its my favorite engine type-ooh the way it feels. The rex and sti use a boxer 4, and the 911's use a boxer 6.

Really u cant go wrong with any of these cars. Too bad i just got a ticket going 98 mph.

If you check most mid size and full size are fast in auto. The sticks are still more fun to drive, if you know how to. I have a GTP grand prix, with a super charger pully. It was 65.00 and now I have 350hp and 300lbsft of torque. I have street raced many of these imports and subies, they are fast but not that fast. They feel much faster than what they realy are. I have to have front wheel drive for winter and I still get 28 miles per gallon. It is automatic, the only way it comes. Todays automatics are much more effiecint like klipsch and they shift fast than any man can shift, except for maybe powershifting. If you power shift your trany won't last to long though.

It has to be manual. You just feel so much more engaged in the driving process. Much more enjoyable. It makes going back to an automatic almost intolerable - it just feels like you aren't doing anything.