Starting a Home Theater system, need help

Thors1982

I have been looking at speakers for a while and i really don't know much but this is the kind i picked and today I found a guy selling

pair of SB-3's and a SS.5 for $600

first off I know this isn't the newest model but is this a good deal.

My plan was to buy those two and a reciever use it for about a year then purchase two floorstandings and a sub and move the SB-3's to the rear

Two questions

Is that a good price?

And would it be a good idea to move those two back?

from what i've experienced and read on these forums...the rear speakers are of lowest priority due to their nature (smaller amount of information sent to them vs. fronts/center, etc). as long as you stay in the same line (synergy or reference), matching won't be much of an issue and the SB-3's will move to the rear without a problem. depending on how critical your ear is, you could use them as rears with anything up front...but that may cause a few people around here to cringe. hehe

overall advice to you when you are starting out: save up and buy the best speakers you can to BEGIN with. if you don't you will only regret it and wish you had went with a different model to begin with...eventually give in...and end up spending more in the long run to upgrade.

I totally agree buy the best speakers in the world. I mean save and save and save because you will never be happy untill you get good speakers and you lose out so much money trying to sell your new speakers to friends. Its really worth the wait. If i was to start over again i would of just bought super cheap descent bookshelf speakers then bought the top of the line klipsch later or what ever you prefer. Some speakers just sound better in different rooms

welcome thors, ht is great, but, unless on a budget do not start getting equipment because it sounds like a good deal, you will find like so many of us the good deal was just ill spent money because you WILL soon upgrade, so that first good deal turns out to be out the window. anyway have patience, and ask plenty of questions, and you will find that there really are great deals out there, many can be found on this site, from good loyal klipsch owners, who are glad to help in any way possible12.gif

If you are going to buy online I highly recommend this company.

http://www.legacyaudiovideo.com/kliprf7refse.html

I have talked to them on the phone and they are great. They used to be an authorized Klipsch dealer but Klipsch would not allow them to sell via the internet and 70% of their business comes from here, so it was a no brainer. They sell 100% real klipsch products and back them with the full warranty. Any problem and THEY will have them picked up and repaired and then shipped back to you free of charge. They have been in business for 13 years I think he said. Most people will not arrange and pay to have the item picked up; this is very important and shows a lot about their customer service.

They get Klipsch speakers from an authorized Klipsch distributor but cannot say who is it of course. They have great prices and great customer service; I know people on this site have used them as well. So if the internet is where you are going to buy, use them. My next purchase will be thru them. I could have saved a lot of money buying my RF-7s from them. The total cost for a pair of black RF-7s shipped to me is $1,594.00. Hard to beat that when their customer service is so good

----------------

On 5/29/2003 6:31:17 PM Vital wrote:

If you are going to buy online I highly recommend this company.

I have talked to them on the phone and they are great.

----------------

I'll have to remember them, since there is no more local supplier of the Klipsch Reference in this area, thus I'll have to go online or drive some 50 miles to the next closests dealer. It seems that I am pretty much set speakerwise for quite a while, though.

Thanks a lot Vital

Ya, my nearest dealer is 60 miles away and they wanted something insane like $1000 for one R-7. I wasn't to happy with that price. I live in southwest virginia and they are only dealer for probably 200 miles so they have no competition.

Thanks again that will help me a great deal, now I just need to get a summer job and get the rest of the money :-)

well i will say find a center speaker first (it is the work horse) and then match all the others speakers around that one. And to me the next speaker that has to get extra attention is the sub's go get a jbl htps400 it is about $2,100.00 but well worth it i have two. great bass even at low volume.

i hope that i could have been some help 11.gif

Thors,

I think your on right track by going on line to get a pair of RF-7's.You'll really get alot of quailty sound and will cherish your investment for many years.As a caviot; they reproduce their signal very well and will unvail any deficencies of amps/sound sources/interconnects etc.

Dan1.gif

hehe thanks odiedarklord

That brings up another question I have.

basically my plan was to get enough money this summer to buy my center RC-7 and two floorstandings RF-7. Possibly buy the set and finish it off with two RS-7s. Then birthday is about the same time and ive already been promised that if I want I can have a denon avr2803 for my birthday.

But my question is, is that a good enough reciever for these speakers? Also, will I be happy without a subwoofer for a while. Or am I going to have to rethink my plan :-)

I have this problem, its that I don't know much about speakers and I want the best.

I was showing my friend the speakers I wanted and he said that I was going to kill them because I wouldn't be able to afford a decent amp. :-( I know I can't afford a $2000 amp. Also is a Denon 2803 reciever going to be good enough? and what kind of amp should I loop at?

Only reason I had planned on buying the RF-7's was cause I figured I could buy them and be set on speakers for 20+ years.

The RF-7s and the Denon AVR-2803 are a great combination. With the effeciency of Klipsch speakers, you don't need a big amp. I was running my speakers with a Denon AVR-1602 before I upgraded to a 7.1 receiver. The 1602 did great. You are definitely on track with the idea that the RF-7s will last you 20 years. A great speaker is a great speaker. A great receiver can become outdated (not obsolete) in just a year or two. Good luck.

Like thor, I was also wondering if it was worth investing as much as possible in speakers when I would be using the same reciever. In my case I have an onkyo tx-sr500, pretty much entry level, 65 wpc. I remember when upgrading my car audio I was never satisfied because I purchased awesome speakers but I never put enough power to them. Would I have the same problem If i get real nice speakers and keep the same onkyo reciever I have now. Basically im afraid that I wont hear the full potential of high-end speakers without upgrading my reciever(which I really dont want to do)Im looking at the synergy floorspeakers at least, maybe better.

to help both of yall out home speakers are differnt then cars speakers. because in a car your sperkers run of the amp to get the big bass in hx2 ( fosgates) you need an amp to push them. In home the hz are diffrent that 60-100 wpc is engough . In a car each speakers has a job to do but basicaly it is all just stero. At home the speakers has set jobs ie: center vioce, mains = sound track + left to right front to back, Etc. So the demand on power is not that important, most speaker for the home have a max wattage rating of around 250w but the rms is alot lower like around 100w. Not in cars there max wattages are around 1000w range and the rms would be around 600 rms. I have a kenwood vr6070 receiver and the wpc is 100x7. I hope that i could be some help.

James

----------------

On 6/2/2003 6:39:58 PM Thors1982 wrote:

Ok, thanks

I was just mainly worried cause I was told that if I didn't get 250 watts of power to the speakers it would be bad for them. So I was extremely worried.

----------------

Whoever told you that is full of bull! The Klipsch RF-7s are rated at 102db/watt/meter. That means that if you feed a single watt of power into them and stand one meter away, you should be hearing 102dbs. 2 watts, you should get 104db, 4 watts, 107db, 8 watts, 111db, with every doubling giving you an additional 3 db.

To put it simply, the Denon AVR2803 that you are planning on getting should be more than sufficient. Hell, I have a Denon AVR3802 that is rated at 110wpc x 7 channels. I cannot get the thing past -15 on the volume before it starts hurting my ears!

Get the RF-7s and RC-7 as you plan. Like you said, those speakers should last you a good 20 or more years. I plan on making mine last me my lifetime. You can always upgrade to better amps in the future as you so desire and/or you get more money.

Ok, one last question I think :-)

but before I ask I just wanted to let EVERYONE know that everyone has been extremely nice and extremely helpful. I im very impressed. I have a feeling I will be comming to this board a lot more just to read what people are saying. So again Thank you to everyone.

What if I used a cheap onkyo reciever TX-SV424(says 50 watts up front and 15 back) with no amp for like 3 months. Would that be way to low. Or should I just wait and buy the reciever whenever I can and wait like a year or so to get a amp.

The onkyo is free thats why I ask, It will not be permanent, its just hard to get money for these speakers :-) especially in college.

Again, thank you

If you buy/use a temporary receiver make sure it has pre outs for front rear and center. If it does than later you can add additional power and still use the receiver as the processor. There are some great amps on e-bay that you can purchase for about $350.00 I own two Yamaha m-80 250wpc amps purcahsed on E-Bay to play my Klipsch Forte II and they rock. More watts equal more headroom and you will not be sorry. For any SS owner who thinks more power does'nt help the sound... I say buy more power and see for yourself and see. My receiver/processor is a Yamaha RXV-992 at 85 wpc and it soes not hold a candle to the M-80.

Enough said... Good luck