Have I been screwed?

Craig6519

Craig,

I know your nervous, but I have to agree with Malcolm. Of course, I just sold a pair of Heresies and got NEGATIVE FEEDBACK. Sale to door in under 20 days and I PAID FOR SHIPPING! Negative comment was not enough email from me. I sent two and one of them had my work number and home number. I just don't feel I need to do more than what Malcolm suggests.

On ebay my rule of thumb is 30 days...if I don't have it then, then I worry.

If it were me, I would be more concerned about the seller's ability to pack/crate these properly than the lack of communication. Packing these is no simple task, that is if the job is done RIGHT. Moving Cornwalls is cumbersome, and it is highly likely that the seller underestimated the time and effort needed to pack these properly for shipment. Ask anyone on this forum who has done this......it is no easy undertaking.

If I were the buyer in this transaction, my first email after the auction would read something like "take as much time as necessary to pack these properly".

I would give him the end of the week for an update, and if you hear nothing, then attempt to contact the seller. Be professional, courteous, and apologetic when doing so.....it will get you much better results.

I to think that If your gonna be a seller and I'm paying you, then yes you should keep me informed on a daily basis! Especially If it's over $1,000. Anyway I'm relieved to recieve an e-mail from him today saying he's been out of town and that's why he hadn't replied, great If I would have know this I wouldn't have been so worried.

Craig

What I really hate is the USPS keeps leaving packages on my front step 10 feet from the side walk. I about steam over every time I come home and find a box sitting there on the step !!

Craig,

Whats your address again!11.gif

Your Buddy,

Tom

----------------

On 6/2/2003 10:12:19 PM NOSValves wrote:

What I really hate is the USPS keeps leaving packages on my front step 10 feet from the side walk. I about steam over every time I come home and find a box sitting there on the step! Craig

----------------

What is your address Craig and what time does UPS usually run in your area? 9.gif

Thanks,

Tony

Craig,

Yep, I'd be concerned, too, if I'd paid for Cornwalls and the seller had become unresponsive. It is rare to get badly burned on Ebay, but it does happen. I have been in correspondence with about thirty buyers who got taken by the same seller, from Canada, who was selling sets of CD's 60's, 70's etc. Sadly, I paid for all that were available. Anyway, the point is that some of the buyers who filed complaints on PayPal, got immediate shipment. The buyer has to watch, though, because there is a 30 day limit on filing a complaint. I filed on what I thought was the 30th day, by the same date the following month, and it was just tough for me. It would be appropriate to call the guy with Ebay contact info and talk with him in person ifpossible. Then if you wanted to be a good guy and give fair warning that a PayPal complaint is in the works due to non delivery, you could do that before filing the complaint. Nothing personal, there are just some serious bucks involved here. Business is business.

Hope this comes to a satisfactory solution and quickly. Also, please post your progress. You've got alot of support on this forum.

regards,

Dee

Speaking as an eBayer, never put an item for sale until packaging issues are resolved. I can't imagine the anticipation of hearing your new Cornwalls and being out $1K with no communication from the seller, regardless of seller's history. Out of town or not, seller has an obligation while he holds other's money. And what is this about paypal clearing taking 4 days for the seller? I have never heard of that. I'd be wary of this seller after such dubious statements.

The Cornwalls look great, though!

• 3 weeks later...

Bought my Cornwalls on Audiogon. Took just over three weeks truck freight from Houston to Tampa. It took the trucking company a week to package. Speakers are hear and playing now. Incredible sound, tight,"deep" bass, high's can be a little shrill over 90db. I have a PAS3, and adjust the trebile down when going over 90db.

I'm sure they will arrive. It is more important that they arrive save then quick. Good luck.

Got mine 1979 for $1090.00 including shipping. He has a few pair of Herseys if anyone is interested.

The Cornwalls definitely have more bass than the Forte II's. Still comparing the two, SS with Forte's vs. Tube with the Cornwalls.

I can relate to the anxiety of paying out a grand (in my case, less) to a total stranger and then just hoping that you aren't being victimized by a scamor even worse, an amateur with no grasp of reality. I have grown tired of ebay just because of the uncertainty of not knowing what sort of person you're deaing with.

I bought a pair of Chorus II's from a software engineer that works for Sun Microsystems whose name is... (it's tempting). I thoroughly checked the details to confirm identity and residence before I sent funds. Everything looked good and we discussed packaging details and insurance requirements at length. Well, the speakers arrived and the boxes contained no friggin padding! He just stuck'em in boxes no more than a half inch larger than the speakers, wrote fradgile on the side, pushed a little piece of bubble wrap in one box and a thin piece of cardboard in the othernot even corrugate. He completely disregarded everything we had discussedhe had his money and he didn't give a flip what happened after that. Luckily they arrived okcredit goes to Yellow Freight for extremely gentle handling. Just because someone holds a position where you would assume they'd have to have some common sense, don't assume they actually have any. If the speakers had been trashsed in transit the insurance would not have paid a dime.

John

jtice,

These issues are exactly why I prefer to just hang out here and find what is needed in klipsch, or find them in person, instead of ebay/audiogon/other methods where shipping is necessary. Unless you are dealing with forum members who know these issues, who knows what you will end up with?? It may take a bit longer to find the speaker model, terms, and a seller who knows what he/she is doing, but the method of delivery is half the equation here. Generally speaking, I find that prices are more fair here on the forum - although the "giveaway garage sale deal" won't happen - but the price will be fair, and the person selling them to you "gets it" and will do their best to get them to you in as good of shape as they were sold.

Craig did get these, BTW - a happy ending!

Upon deciding to purchase a pair of Forte's I made it a point to look only under "regions" on E-bay. I live an hour away from Mpls./St.Paul and although it took a lot of patience on my part for a pair to go on sale, I was determined to wait for something I could pick up in person with the cash in my hand. I guess I was more worried about shipping damage than the integrity of the seller, but I am glad I waited. An honest seller should have no problem letting you "pay upon pickup". It appears that in most cases of tube amps, vintage gear, and speakers etc. they do cycle around E-bay within a reasonable time period. However if you live in the boonies this advice won't help.9.gif

Yessir, I'd prefer to buy from other forum members any day of the week. And picking up in person is, no doubt, the way to go on large speakers. Never really had a horrible outcome from ebay or audiogon, but on the speaker deal it was pure luck.

Being from the boonies (southwest Virginia) makes it difficult to even listen to similar gear before buying, so the long distance transactions provide access things that don't exist in the area. Seems like about half the Klipsch listed on ebay is Dallas, Houston or souther CA.

Never tried escrow. It would prevent an out and out deception where the seller just walks away, but wouldn't protect from more subtile forms of deception such as items not workig exactly right or not being exactly as described.