Superbit

m00n

m00n,

I have several superbit DVDs and when compared side by side with their non-superbit versions, you can tell a difference. Most superbit DVDs have both DTS and DD 5.1 sound formats, but the difference is in the video. Then encode the DVD with much more video data than a normal DVD and usually leave out all the extras. (Deleted Scenes, outakes, commentary) They just don't have enough room on the disk for it.

Late this month or early July they are supposed to come out with a HDTV DVD version of Terminator 2. What that is all about I am not quite sure yet. When I find out I will post back here.

For now, if you would like to read a little more about the superbit format take a look at this link.

http://www.timefordvd.com/feature/Superbit.shtml

Moonie!

Oh...superbit difference....ummmm Yes & No. The first superbit movie I got was Bramstokers Dracula. Since Dracula had to be one of the first DVDs ever made (2 sided, one wide screen = Side #1 & full screen Side #2), its encoding wasn't great and you HAD to select DD5.1 from the menu or you would get DD2.0. I did compare the two DVDs, and felt that the video was better, more vivid colors. Now, Disk #2 (The Fifth Element), I really didn't notice any noticable differences in the video, but I got it for the DTS soundtrack. Perhaps, if you had a BIG screen (100" projector) you would see a difference. But I heard (oh cr*p, take this with a shot or two of vodka) that superbit DVDs don't really fill the entire DVD, and some current movies, like everyones favorite reference DVD, LOTR, actually has a higher encoding rate then the superbit DVDs.

I have a way to verify the bitrate, so I'll do that tonight and test the two superbit DVDs I have.

Frankly, I like the superbit versions...none of that EXTRAs CRAP that just gets in the way, and DTS!!!!

-Dave

I have a healthy does of Superbits, MIB 1 and 2, 5th Element, Charlie's Angels, Desperado, Air Force One, Patriot, Bad Boys and the Mask of Zorro--EVERY one was a direct replacement of the same title I had already purchased some time ago. It's not the night-and-day difference you would hope for in the video dept--much more subtle and really only noticable if you have a big screen and equipment that renders fine detail well. The biggest advantages (to my eyes) are the almost universal reduction in edge halos and compression artifacts (though if you compress an already crappy transfer with a high bit rate, you still just get a really good version of a crappy transfer), otherwise, you just get a few more details in the backgrounds and fine lines (I think there's one scene where you can almost read some badge numbers/lettering in the 5th Element while they're just kind of a blur on the regular release--at least I think it was the 5th Element, but this is definitely the kind of "little improvement" the Superbits offer).

Otherwise, the big incentive is the DTS track as they ALMOST always edge out the DD 5.1 track. However, since Columbia can clearly deliver a Superbit Deluxe version of a movie at a price point comparable to a "normal" release (Charlie's Angels, Panic Room, etc.), it makes you wonder why they don't make all their movies this way and give the consumers the best of both worlds and establish themselves as a premier producer of quality DVDs...excellent video and standard choice of DD or DTS and still all the superfluous EPKs and cool deleted scenes from a typical special edition package. I, for one, am getting darned tired of buying the same freaking discs over and over again, this version of Bad Boys makes my third...yet I have to feed my addiction so I guess I'm living proof that Columbia can continue milking consumers out of their hard-earned dollars and we'll happily line up to let them!

I love SuperBit! For me, I prefer the quality over bonus materials,so have welcomed the line with open arms.

Myself,I have:

Fifth Element

Resident Evil

Air Force One

The Patriot

Hollow Man

The Big Hit

Bram Stoker's Dracula

Will buy soon

xXx

Anaconda

Bad Boys

Mask of Zorro

Legends of the Fall

Dark Crystal

Gattaca

Charlie's Angels

Looking forward to Starship Troopers! Also I have seen Godzilla available in other region. Hopefully coming to Region 1 soon. IMHO-this should have been one of the 1st titles out in SB! Back in my Dolby Surround days,this was a great disc to show off the system. But after I got into Klipsch,this DVD was disappointing. I actually sold it and replaced it with Laser Disc. Much better DD track!

The only one I doubt I will buy is MIB. I have the 1st release with DTS and am happy with it.

If a DVD doesn't have DTS,I will replace it with Superbit if available.

Moon-

I took some time last night and checked the bit rates of a few of my DVDs...

Dracula (Superbit): typical values range from 6 to 7.5 Mbps, max that i saw was around 8.5 Mbps.

5th Element (Superbit): typical: 5.5 to 7.5 Mbps, max: 8.5 Mbps.

Lord of the Rings: typical: 5.75 to 7.0 Mbps

StarWars II (AOTC): typical: 3.5 to 6.5 Mbps, max: ~8.5 Mbps

Beautiful Creatures (NetFlix special last night, strange British movie, but it has Rachel Weisz in it, aka, the Mummy Girl): 3 - 4/5 Mbps

There is a fair degree of variation in the bit rates. I would say overall that the bit rate of the Superbits is probably a tad higher then what you would typically find in the original DVD release. However, they are roughly the same as what you would find in a top notch release like LOTR. Surprising SW:AOTC had spots where the bit rate was quite large (namely the computer generates scenes of the planet city (the name escapes me right now) given that most of the ppl in the movie look "fuzzy" from all of the excessive bluring that they did on the images when they overlaid ppl on a computer generated background.

I didn't look to see how much of the DVD was actually taken up by the movie on the Superbit versions....But my gut feeling is that that entire movie DOES NOT take up the FULL dvd, and its partly marketing hype so the studios can sell more DVDs that we already own!

Cheers,

-Dave

Edit: corrected the bitrates to the values i wrote down....

I have at least three Superbits that I can think of right off the bat(no cork), CTHD, Desperado and Fifth Element and they are all exquisite.

But I can think of other DVDs that are not Superbit, but have what I would consider Superbit quality: Titanic, T2 Ultimate Edition and now Extreme Edition, Star Wars #1 and especially #2-AOTC and Fellowship of the Ring Extended Edition. Black Hawk Down is excellent too I think and I'm thinking about getting the new 3 Disc DVD set of that one.

Superbit is better but there is a but in there.

having the Sony Wega XBR movies already look fantastic. But the problem I am having is double buying. XXX for instance - decent action - lousy acting - takes advantage of surround sound $20.

Superbit XXX no extra crap but its another $20. XXX is far from a $40 movie.

I have passed up numerous superbits because I have the other version..

i would have no problem paying a little extra upfront but hollywood is trying to get the cash from both pockets...nononononono

scott

Fellas the Terminator 2 is out on the market and it lacks the DTS tracks on it just DD.ES the picture quality is clearer but my other disk has more to offer and they only give you one version of the movie for your dvd players the special edition the original is in high def but you need to watch it on your computer first you need to download Media Player 9, get permission from microsoft with a security key of some sort your computer must have xp professional, media player extras, 3.0 ghz or better 128 mb video, and 252 mb ram(a super computer) so you've wasted your money if you got rid of the last Terminator 2 by the way I got mine at Walmart for $14.20 when bestbuy and circuit city wanted 19.99 by the way if you got company coming over Die Another Day is the one to impress them with the sound on a scale of 1-10 "15"

----------------

On 6/5/2003 10:50:16 AM gtDark wrote:

Don't forget

----------------

Hey, c'mon, we're guys. We never stop thinking about that...

My only SuperBit DVD is 5th Element. It looks good, but I'll probably upgrade, when SuperDeDuperBit technology hits the streets.

fini

"Hey, c'mon, we're guys. We never stop thinking about that..."

You would if your wife's nickname was Bullet Proof Tony.

Wait, that's "Bullet TOOTH Tony". No wonder I never get asked to play outside of Hoboken.