post pictures of your components...NOT SPEAKERS

prodj101

I'd say you need a better bench.

So what's the deal? You put in a bunk Rectifier and wiped out the power supply cap?

Did you damage the power supply for 6 volt heaters?

Or the Filament supply for the 2A3's?

(I'm not sure if the 2A3 filaments are DC heated.)

I did this awhile back this Summer.

I bought some NOS Mullard EZ-81's for my Eico's and Magnavox.

Tossed one in the Magnavox without testing it, bad move.

It arced, and took out the 1.5 amp fuse.

That's cool. It did what it was supposed to do.

Then I got stupid and put in higher rated fuse, 2.5 amp.

And then tossed in another EZ-81.

Hey they are NOS, it should be fine. NOT!

The rectifier came up, looked OK for about ten eleven seconds(about the warm-up time), and then FLASH!

Like a camera flashbulb. Heater to Cathode short, melted a hole right through the cathode.

There is a pair of 100 ohm resistors to ground in the heater circuit for stability. It cooked the resistors.

I damn near lost my 6.3 volt AC heater winding in the PS transformer.

I replaced the resistors, and checked the heater winding voltages, 6.3, 6.4 volts. Whew!

That poor old heater winding seen more than 6.3 volts, however.

With a little dickering with the seller, I finally got 5 strong Mullard rectifier tubes. Hell, he sent 3 bad out of five.

Don't take anyone's word for it, test the damn things first!

That wasn't a very brilliant day on my part.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kelly

If it is an Errrummmm "marital issue" your are troubleshooting I think (as a former marital therapist ) that I may be able to offer some insight. That multimeter is creating performance anxiety for both of you.

In any event if either of you attempts to check a flux reading one or both of you will likely lose focus and become anxious. Get rid of the Fluke and with a little patience and understanding all will be well.

PS. Dear Fellow - You DID dispose of that tape measure that we discussed in our recent PM exchange ?

This is what I was using to power my 82 KHorns up til about 2 months ago..I (regrettably) sold the Assemblage 300B SET thinking I needed SS for more bass..well, I got more bass from the SS but lost the details on string/horn music..live and learn. Still experimenting..Have a pair of Cornwalls (thanx to Don "BigBusa") coming to I can compare them and the KHorns..I have this component swapping disease that a lot of other posters apparently are afflicted with..

You guys have some GREAT looking systems out there!

Regards,

Steve

post-2159-13819247723612_thumb.jpg

OK... I couldn't get the RTF paste to work, but I tried the little "internal image" button and it seems to have worked!

From top left to bottom right:

Marantz CDP (I can't recall the model no.)

bang & olufsen TX-2 tangential tt with MMC-4 cartridge

DIY preamp (Pete Milet's low-voltage tube hybrid preamp/headphone amp, see below)

Sherwood S-3000 FM mono tuner

Bottlehead Paramour 2A3 SET monoblock amps (stock, no C4S, Philco 2A3's)

Bottlehead Seduction phono preamp (RCA/Amperex 6922's)

My EICO HF-85 needs work. I built the very cute little hybrid preamp designed by Pete Millet and described in the November 2002 issue of AudioXpress. This ingenious little amp. uses late-1950's car radio technology in the form of "space charge" triode voltage amps that operate with ca. 12V plate voltage, and an ss buffer. More info can be found on Pete's website at:

http://pmillett.addr.com/hybrid_head.htm and a PCB to construct it is available from: http://www.diycable.com/main/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=384

This is a very cool, safe, and easy to build project that sounds really quite nice as a preamp or as a HP amp.

• 3 weeks later...

Rowooo

actually, I like the Adcom alright, but I also tried a Sony that was better..that will make you shudder! It did me! I took Kelly's (MobileHomeless) advice and bought a Rega Planet on eBay today! I will post my findings when I get it! Yes I have a few CDs (1900) and a few albums (800) but that is just part of my addiction! I trade up/out/down/up on electronics all the time! Always looking for that "perfect" sound..what an addiction!

Steve