Receiver Turns Off During Loud Sequences with Speakers

A general question if anyone can help.....I purchased a Klipsch home audio system for my Stepdad for Father's day. Hooked it up today with a Yamaha receiver. Have 2 front speakers, subwoofer, 2 rear speakers, and center speaker. During loud sequences in dvd films or music, the received will kick off entirely. When turned back on it states "check sp wires" Anyone know what would be causing this? Thanks in advance!9.gif

Sounds like you have a short in your speaker wires. Check the connections at the receiver and at the speakers, and make sure you have no stray little wires touching the other connection point. The short is probably very "small" and that's why your receiver doesn't kick off until you are putting a stronger signal through the speaker wires.

If you were messing with stapling the speaker wires for any reason, like along a baseboard or something, be sure the staple didn't pierce the insulation.

DD

I had the same problem with a scene from Airforce One. Just as the shooting starts, the guy walks through the door & one of the terrorists hits him over the head with the butt of his rifle. This used to kill my receiver every time, until I changed my center channel speaker. It was a 4 ohm, & the new one is 8 ohm.

It's a strange feeling when you are right in the middle of a major event like that, bullets going by your head etc, then suddenly.....dead quiet & no picture!

its the amp, electrically, no matter how small the contact it is still contact and it will react negativly, so it is my guess the klipsch's are just too much for the amp, those peaks during explosions require alot of power. is it an older amp?12.gif

I suspect you're tripping out a overload protection system in the amp. This is good in that if was not there, some internal component, probably an output transistor, would be burned out.

What to do about it. I'm not quite sure. It could be that the amp will "like" 4 ohm speakers, at low levels, and your just pushing it too hard, drawing more current than it is happy with.

My thought is that it is not a shorted wire in the feed line. You'd hear the effect at a lower audio level. A shorted wire would cause a current overload. So the unsophisticated software is making this suggestion without much analysis.

There has been some traffic on similar problems, and suggested solutions.

You could try putting 2 ohm or 4 ohm resistors in series with the speaker feed lines. I use an autotransforer solution which you may find in a search. These have their own compromises.

Ultimately, you may have to invest in an amp which will accept a 4 ohm load at high power. Some have a switch to select 8 ohm or 4 ohm speakers.

Gil

Gil

John - Don't leave us hanging, let us know :)

I think my suggestion is worth trying, as it's the cheapest and easy to check. The others may also be valid.

We're all guessing about the load your speakers are putting on your amp yet I don't think you've ever told us what model speakers you are using, or their average impedance.

DD

• 1 month later...

This is happening with my new speakers also.

My Denon 2802 is shutting off during real loud scenes. I have tried changing my receiver subwoofer output to 120 Hz in an attempt to reduce the strain on the receiver. Changing it to 100 Hz did not seem to do anything.

I am running 4 Rf-3II's and still using my KV2 as a center channel until I get my rc35. My subwoofer is an Energy sw10.2.

I will try checking my wires as was suggested already. I am hoping this does not mean my receiver is too weak to power these speakers.

If you find no loose or frayed speaker wires my bet would also be that the ohm load presented to the receiver is the culprit. You are asking it to generate more current than it is capable of. A 4 ohm speaker is only a nominal impedance that fluctuates and varies during playback. At some frequencies you could be dropping to 2 ohms or less which the receiver will not like, especially since it may be occurring in more than one pair of speakers. The RE on a pair of 4 ohm speakers is usually around 3.5 ohms. Try running only one pair of speakers and the center and see if it still occurrs, or only the mains. If it is not defective my suggestion would be to add an outboard amplifier that would take some of the load off the receiver. My Denon AVR-4800 only runs my KG-1's (rear surrounds (B)) all the other speakers are run off outboard amplification. I decided to take this route back when I was running a Denon AVR-3300 due to the fact at very high volumes (-10 - + 10) and all speakers running the bass would fade out telling me the power supply reserves were exhausted. It would not shut down but the bass loss was very noticeable. Having the outboard amplifiers gives me improved dynamics and impact, improved overall clarity and lots of headroom, my ears will give out before anything else.

but since the Rf-3II's are 8 Ohm speakers I am hoping that it is not a problem with the receiver being worked too hard. I would prefer to not having to get amps.

It looks like rewiring it will be my first step. i will post how that goes tonight.

Use at least 16 gauge or larger! The larger gauges are preferable for the longer runs. I got some real nice 10 Gauge in Sapphire Blue made by Orion Car Audio for 0.25 a foot on eBay. All the real big Heritage speakers are connected with it, the rest with 16 gauge.

Definitely check the wiring first.

If the wiring is OK it is likely that the amp does not have the capacity to drive all of your speakers to the level you are trying to achieve. If that is the case, you need more sensitive speakers or a more powerful amp or both. Short of new hardware, you could try shifting more of the bass from your other speakers to the subwoofer assuming it is a powered subwoofer and your receiver's bass management allows you to do it

well it looks like a couple wires were touching since after rewiring and being real careful i had no problem playing my next movie at an even higher volume.

Now back to movies :)

update: watched two more movies and it seems to be ok. no more shutdowns by the receiver. I am real glad i got a good receiver so that I did not lose it due to my mistake :)

• 2 weeks later...