Klipsch hi-fi system

MD1032

Well, I'm just kind of obsessed with bas because hey, if you don't have the low end, you're dead. At any rate, I don't know what Yamaha speakers my friend has. He uses them in conjunction with a bookshelf system in his living room (basement). It's really a lot nicer than you may think. The speakers themselves are about 20 years old, but they're awesome. The highs aren't the best, but the highs on the bookshelf are piercing enough that when blended with the towers, it sounds just right. Also, the subs are pretty much the best thing I've eve heard. Dual 10" 50 watt woofers. They're huge and NEVER choke on anything I've run on them. I've run plently of low stuff and it just doesn't have a bottom to it. At any rate, These systems are expensive and I just wanted to say that I expected more. Anyway, I don't have money to buy these, I'm doing this study for my friend because his system kicks *** and I'm searching for something to dethrone it.

----------------

On 6/13/2003 1:03:41 PM MD1032 wrote:

Well, I'm just kind of obsessed with bas because hey, if you don't have the low end, you're dead. At any rate, I don't know what Yamaha speakers my friend has. He uses them in conjunction with a bookshelf system in his living room (basement). It's really a lot nicer than you may think. The speakers themselves are about 20 years old, but they're awesome. The highs aren't the best, but the highs on the bookshelf are piercing enough that when blended with the towers, it sounds just right. Also, the subs are pretty much the best thing I've eve heard. Dual 10" 50 watt woofers. They're huge and NEVER choke on anything I've run on them. I've run plently of low stuff and it just doesn't have a bottom to it. At any rate, These systems are expensive and I just wanted to say that I expected more. Anyway, I don't have money to buy these, I'm doing this study for my friend because his system kicks *** and I'm searching for something to dethrone it.

----------------

Are you one of those 16 year olds that drive around with their bass cranked so high in their car that their trunk vibrates and sounds like a fart?? Because those guys are awesome. Who needs trebble when you got lots of muddy bass right?

Are you one of those 16 year olds that drive around with their bass cranked so high in their car that their trunk vibrates and sounds like a fart?? Because those guys are awesome. Who needs trebble when you got lots of muddy bass right?

----------------

I think that this preponderance of bass thing is just personal taste and today's culture. By the time I was 13 I had heard alot of cheap speakers, but when I heard Cornwalls for the first time, I knew I had to own Klipsch someday. Someone needs to take him aside and show him what Klipsch can do. Then he wouldn't be so obsessed with this bass/specs thing.

Regards,

Greg

----------------

On 6/13/2003 1:03:41 PM MD1032 wrote:

Well, I'm just kind of obsessed with bas because hey, if you don't have the low end, you're dead.

----------------

Says who?

14.gif

The main part of the frequency range that we hear is the midrange.

Klipsch speakers are not known for having the boomy bass you would hear coming out of a lowrider honda civic with bling-bling rims, klipsch are known for their well defined articulate sound.

btw, a two way system would be theoretically more "Hi-Fi" then a three way system.

With a three way you are splitting your sound in two places, with a two way only once.

The closer to "full range" you can get with a single driver the less you are altering the sound

This seems to be the reasoning of the lowther crowd.

Peace, Josh

OK, that's enough. Why does EVERYONE have the urge to try to start a flamewar with me? NO, I am NOT one of those teens that drive around with bass killing their eardrums. I'm only 15, I can't drive yet. I dn't get my liscence until 18! Plus, I would NEVER drive aroudn with bass that loud--it can permanently damage your hearing. Also, my dad's car, which I'm going to drive someday (A '97 Civic) has a horrible 1-way standard car stereo system where I wouldn't even bother to click on the radio. Also, I'm just looking for quality. I don't care HOW loud it gets, I just want to expirience real, clean, and LOW sound in my bass. Now this discussion is over. I'm NOT going to start another argument here.

Stop trying to start arguments with me.

Ok MD I'll try to help here.

1. Bass below 60hz (conservative - it is probably closer to 80hz) is generally non directional. Therefore most speaker manufacturers don't dig down for that extension on their full range speakers due to uniqueness assosiated with such long waves. They will focus on a separate subwoofer and working hard on the directional frequencies (say 60hz to 16Khz - some folks can hear fairly well above that, but not many) in their stereo speakers. There is even a train of thought that the resonance from the really low freqs tend to make a box kind of goofy and hard to design the full range integration.

2. Somewhere around 25 hz it becomes difficult to hear the LF - you can feel it, but it isn't as easy to hear. Other than the infamous pipe organs for music, most of this is happening in HT stuff. And it does really make some of the movies have extraordinary sound effects.

3. The Bass you appear to like is the over emphasized 100 - 150 hz that folks here see a lot of younger folks craving. It is a coloration that most music lovers dislike because there is nothing like it in nature or in good music compositions (including Rap and HipHop). To us your arguments are disingenous. Many here know that Yamaha has very little (if any) comparative value to Klipsch reference lines. I am not chastising - just trying to bluntly assess what is happening.

4. There are several maunfacturers that make reasonably priced speakers that in each of their ways do a good job in the 50 - 16K range and if you are interested, really shop around. If the boom of the 100-150hz (and little regard is given to the mids and highs) is important - the range of acceptable speaker manufacturers grows. I caution spending much money on these speakers - you should give your ears a chance to learn what they like before you start spending bunches of money. A match to higher end electronics is also less of a financial burden with these type of speakers.

Your ears make the difference and don't let us be your judge. You probably need to ask your question elsewhere based on your current sound preferences - Klipsch is particularly liked for their efficiency and clarity in that 40 - 16K range with limited variartions on any one freq range. They are a bit forward and their detail remains surprising.

Good luck in your search.