Is R-7 worth the money?

bulletpointz

Mark. Yes this was ft wayne. Lehman's did except the $1350 offer on the RF7s.

It was the last cherry pair they had in a box. They still have a pair of RF5s, asking $948 - bet they would take $800.

Have you seen the Paradigm servo 15 they still have?? Wonder what they would deal on that... Getting pretty baron in their right now. There is a nice adcom cd player on demo though...9.gif My wife says I have to stop drinking before I go there though.

The RF-7s are the way to go. Even if it means you saving for another month to get them. You won't ever need another front pair of speakers. I am pushing mine with a Harman Kardon 325 (50 watts per channel, although HK watts seem way louder than others) and it is more than you can stand cranked up. I can't imagine what it will sound like when I put a good amp on them.

Buy the RF-7s and call it a day. They will blow you away. I have heard people talk about their lack of bass but I have no clue what they are talking about. I put in some old school rap last night (Master Ace, Born to Roll) and they were pushing serious air. Every apartment on my side of the building was shaking I think.

DO NOT BUY THE RF-7'S, AND FOR SURE DON'T BUY THE RF-3'S. I USED TO OWN A SET OF RF-3II'S BEFORE GETTING RID OF THEM. I BROUGHT THEM BACK TWICE. THE FIRST TIME, THERE WAS A PROBLEM WITH THE INTERNAL WIRING OF THE SPEAKER AND NO SOUND CAME FROM ONE SPEAKER EXCEPT A HISSING SOUND. (THIS WAS AFTER 1 WEEK OF USE)SO I RETURNED THEM FOR ANOTHER SET. THE SECOND TIME WAS EXACTLY THE SAME THING PLUS IT WOULD CAUSE MY AMP TO OVERLOAD WHENEVER I TURNED THEM UP AT A QUARTER VOLUME. THIS DID NOT LEAVE A GOOD IMPRESSION AND I FINALLY GOT MY MONEY BACK. EVEN WHEN THE RF3'S DID WORK, THEY SIMPLY DIDNT'SOUND AS GOOD AS I HAD EXPECTED THEM TO. THEY LACKED BIG TIME IN BASS, AND ESPECIALLY IN SOUNDSTAGING. I TRYED RE-POSITIONING THE LOCATION,ANGLE, AND DISTANCE OF THE SPEAKERS ABOUT A THOUSAND TIMES, BUT STILL COULDN'T ACHIEVE AN OPTIMAL SOUNDING "SWEET SPOT". FROM LISTENING TO THE RF-7'S, I WOULD SAY THEY WERE QUITE A BIT BETTER THAN THE RF-3'S IN EVERY RESPECT. THEY HAD DEEPER BASS, EMPROVED MID-RANGE AND A SWEET TWEET.... TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION IF THEY'RE WORTH THE MONEY, I WOULD HAVE TO SAY NO. THE RF7'S ARE A GOOD SPEAKER AT A $1800 PRICE POINT, NOT $2500. BUT EVEN THEN, THERE ARE STILL DIFFERENT TYPES AND DEFINETLY BETTER SOUNDING SPEAKERS OUT THERE FOR LESS MONEY. AN EXAMPLE OF THIS (AND THE REASON I'M REPLYING TO YOUR MESSAGE)IS THE PARADIGM STUDIO 100'S. AT A $1900MAX)PRICE POINT YOU'RE GETTING A LOT MORE VALUE FOR YOUR DOLLAR. THE PARADIGM'S WILL OUT-PLAY THE KLIPSHC'S IN TERMS OF SONIC QUALITY. WEIGHING 110 LBS EACH SPEAKER, YOU CAN AUTOMATICALLY TELL THAT THEY ARE MUCH BETTER BUILT, HAVE MORE INTERNAL BRACING, AND LARGER MAGNET'S THAN THE KLIPSCH'S. THE STUDIO 100'S HAVE A MUCH BETTER SOUNDSTAGE AND ALLOWS YOU TO SIT ANYWHERE IN THE ROOM AND STILL HAVE A GOOD SPOT.

WELL, I HOPE MY OPINION HAS HELPED YOU IN MAKING A DECISION. LISTEN WITH YOUR EARS NOT YOUR EYES: DON'T LET THOSE NICE LOOKING BRASS WOOFERS FOOL YOU, OR THE OVERLY NICE PEOPLE TRYING TO CONVINCE YOU....TEST, THE PARADIGMS AND YOU'LL SEE.

----------------

On 6/16/2003 2:14:46 PM Gregorius wrote:

This isn't foodshouldbefree is it?

----------------

Dunno, just hope it doesn't turn into another flame and get this section shut down as the general section does occasionaly.

Tough to listen to someone screaming at you! I wouldn't listen to someone that did not know where the he11 his CAPS LOCK key is! The point is let your own ears be the judge - period! There is alot to choose from out there, and what kind of response from the people did you expect - after all this is the KLIPSCH forum. Take all the other opinions and perceptions in stride.

I too listened to the studio 100's side by side with the klipsh. There is no way they sounded better. They sounded softer because there very inefficient - like 91db, 89db in a normal room. They sound excellent, but not better. You'll need a couple hundred plus watts with these 100;s. Quite frankly, the Paradigm Monitor 11's sounded better than the studio 100's, if you have 75 watts or less.

----------------

On 6/16/2003 1:14:34 PM sell wrote:

please note, I removed the all-caps to make it more readable - SK

An example of this (and the reason I'm replying to your message)is the paradigm studio 100's. At a $1900max)price point you're getting a lot more value for your dollar. The paradigm's will out-play the klipsch's in terms of sonic quality. Weighing 110 lbs each speaker, you can automatically tell that they are much better built, have more internal bracing, and larger magnet's than the klipsch's. The studio 100's have a much better soundstage and allows you to sit anywhere in the room and still have a good spot.

Well, I hope my opinion has helped you in make a decision. Listen with your ears not your eyes: don't let those nice looking brass woofers fool you, or the overly nice people trying to convince you....test, the Paradigms and you'll see.

----------------

Okay, that is all well nice and good. Lets try this on for size? Did Paradigm ever open up thier test-labs and demo rooms to you and basically let you play with all the cool toys contianed there in? Did Paradigm ever treat you to lunch? How a about a Filet Mignon dinner at a very nice restaurant? Did any of the Paradigm employees let you hang out at thier place and play with thier own setups? Did any of the employees take you out for a night at the town to check out some of the swanky night-clubs as well as the more subdued places? Did Paradigm even give you so much a t-shirt, let alone a book that was signed by the owner of the company (Again - Thanks Trey - I just started reading that book - very fascinating!)? Did Paradigm even offer to block out a room at a nice hotel for a cheap rate so you can attend such a visit? I didn't think so! Well, guess what - Klipsch did just exactly that this past weekend - and the invitation was open to anybody that cared to show up that Saturday morning. I will be more inclined to support a company that is willing to go that extra mile for thier customers. Frankly, Paradigm can take the short express to hell as far as I am concerned - I am sticking with Klipsch!

You are correct in your last statement, though - let your ears do the testing, not your eyes.

To the original poster - Yes, the RF-7s are definitly worth the upgrade!