Is Rush the greatest band in the world?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, that is very subjective. Look at prod. He says no, But then he is not of the Rush era. I for one think Rush has to be up in the top 5 and I firmly believe there will never be another powerhouse trio that will ever grace us with their musical talent that Rush did over the years. Hard to top perfection.

Wow what a statement.

I love Rush and agree they are one of the most tallented bands of all time, but....

You really need to get out of the box and listen to some more music.

As far as great clasic power trios go, did you check out the Bozio, Levin, Stevens CD that came out a year or two ago called Situation Dangerous. One of my more recent favorites.

JM

Rush is very good. I used to see them play in bars, long time ago. Peart overplays though. He has excellent drive and pace but gets carried away, too busy. I'd like to hear him play more simply and on a small kit like Ringo used. Well perhaps he is for all I know, haven't listened to their new stuff since, when, Subdivisions?

----------------

On 6/18/2003 7:20:31 PM easylistener wrote:

Very good band. I like others that rate just as high though. Floyd, Led, Hooker, grateful dead.

----------------

No also, although they are a talented trio. BTW, just got back from the Dead show. I've seen better. Seems like they were just going through the motions. Phil & Friends blows them away. No-talent Bob Weir ruins it for me. He's trying to take over and just doesn't have what it takes. Without Jerry, Bobby's lack of talent really shines.

Best rock trio of all time in my book is Emerson, Lake & Palmer. In their heyday they were incredible to watch. Carl Palmer is one of my favorite rock drummers. Probably the most underrated of the great ones. But we all like who we like, right? Otherwise we'd all be going to see the same band and it would be hard to get tickets.2.gif

Best power trio ever?

Ummm - Clapton, Baker, Bruce? Have we forgotten that quickly?

Best bands doing what they're doing?

- Dream Theater

- Fates Warning

- Queensryche

- Yes

Yeah, their new album is really great, and it certainly is more relevant than the last four or so they released. I don't know that it's time to start crowning them gods just yet. They've always been really good at what they did (and in rock bass, it's tough to find one better than Geddy Lee - especially when you factor in that he does most of the bass work with his feet while singing and playing keyboards) - but to start tossing out "best ever" is a bit of a stretch...

Oh yeah - and Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater) makes Neil look like an amateur, folks. If you don't believe me, just take a listen to anything they've done. (he's full-tilt every song, every album)

Portnoy has definitely tossed his hat into the "best ever" drummer's ring. Whether he is or not is arguable, but he certainly has topped Pert in precisely the same vein as Pert has always worked.

----------------

On 6/18/2003 11:18:46 PM Griffinator wrote:

Best power trio ever?

Ummm - Clapton, Baker, Bruce? Have we forgotten that quickly?

----------------

I guess it's easy to forget that they were a trio band when they were together for such a short period of time and all went on to do other things whereas bands like ELP and Rush have been the same trio band for most of their musical careers.

----------------

On 6/18/2003 11:24:12 PM Klipschfoot wrote:

Gary, you were in my back yard!

Little Feat? Music against grain of the times but had a devoted following. Slide guitar, laid back vocals, third world percussion, Tower of Power horns. Uncopyable.

----------------

I was in my backyard! I live 5 minutes from Merriweather. You? BTW - Big Little Feat fan also. Saw Lowell and the boys many times back in the day.