what music do you listen to?

moelarry

----------------

On 6/20/2003 10:40:35 AM dndphishin wrote:

Then, of course, is the Deadhead stereotype:

Q: "What did the Deadhead say when he quit smoking pot?"

A: "This music sucks"

2.gif

Proof that stereotypes are often untrue and way overblown. In fact, I would venture a guess - I take that back, I guarantee - that there are some who don't admit they listen to Grateful Dead (believe it or not, many I knew who followed them hid that fact from employers), or simply never listened to Grateful Dead because of the stereotype. Big mistake
9.gif

----------------

Great point. You probably already know I'm an old deadhead (seen about 200+ shows) and I'm a bank VP and don't give a rats a$$ who knows what music I listen to. I actually took my boss (CFO) to a dead show back in the early 90s (he hated it). You're right though. Lots of deadheads have come out of the woodwork here at work once they discovered they weren't the only ones. As I get older, it gets harder to put up with some of the people at the shows. The other night I would have had a much better time if 9 people didn't sit in the 4 seats next to me (I was in the 9th row). Not to mention I don't think they had bathed in a week.14.gif

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am wih you on that one. I hate it when people don't shower. Some of the dead shows I went to started to become to many of those people. Don't get me wrong I injoyed many of the good things deads have to offer, but lets take a shower. There is more to the show then being a dead beat. I am not stereo typing all but they know who they are.

I am also a many show deadhead (and a professional) and agree that a few years back folks did hide their love for the dead from employers and others due to the drug stereotype. That's subsided alot since the whole dead thing has cooled down.

However, I also found that the stereotype worked in reverse for some of the high performing employees in places I've worked. Some employees never lost any credability for being deadheads because their performance at work far exceeded that of everyone else, and their employers new it.

Anyhow, the whole reason for discussing the dead here is that I've found the Heritage series over the years (especially the cornwall in a room) helps to replicate the true live dead sound better than any other speakers I've heard.

I've owned various pairs of Klipsch over the last 20 years to try and get that "dead" sound just right. Traded and traded, and purchased. It finally clicked when I mixed some old vert horn cornwalls (maybe '76?) and '90 la scalas in my basement. Now I have a very respectable emulation.

Anyhow, everyone listens to different stuff. I always liked going to hear someone else's system and their music. That's what it's always been about.

I know I will pass my Klipsch equipment to my kids eventually because I probably won't ever sell it. It is interesting to think of what might come out of them someday well beyond what we all consider "music" today.

Kenrat-

Ever see Portishead live? I caught them a few years back in Toronto @ The Warehouse. It was the best "pop/rock" (as opposed to jazz or classical-broad definition) show I have ever heard and seen. It was really impressive especially to watch the drummer play live. Very understated, but chops like crazy. He would play the sampled snare drum rolls from "Sour Times" with his left hand only. The singer's voice was amazing-crystal clear studio quality. They probably only peaked out around 107-110dB, and the sound was really reference quality. That's one great thing about Canadian crowds-they actually listen at concerts. And they're polite. My then girlfriend (now wifey) got up (she was sitting on a railing) to go potty, and some guy went to hop up there. I told him my girlfriend was sitting there, and he said hey I'm sorry and went away. Unbelievable!!9.gif

i'm gonna hit the hiway like a bat out of hell on a silver black phantom bike..nothin ever grows in this rock-n-roll hole and everything is stunted and lost. and nothin really rocks and nothin really rolls and nothin's ever worth the cost..oh i can see myself,driving out the hole fas-ter than any other boy has ever gone..well my skin is raw but my soul is right and no one's gonna stop me now i gotta make my stay-but i can't stop thinkin' of you,and i never see the sign or turn until its way too late.

then i'm down at the bottom of a pit in a blazing song,or torn and twisted at the foot of a burnin bike,and i think somebody somewhere must be tollin a bell, and the last thing i see is my heart-still beating-breakin out of my body and flyin away...like a bat out of hell.

CLASSIC ROCK

i listened to 'meat loaf'bat out of hell'sacd last night. the song i quoted above (sorry it's so long) makes me feel like i'm riding that chopper! 'red barchetta' by rush makes me feel like i'm driving that car! 'ask the lonely' by journey makes me appreciate my not always perfect relationship.'the girl can't help it'by journey helps me to understand that others have experienced finding love but just not being able to make it work..etc.

alot of what I get from MY choice in music is how it makes me feel. laughter,tears,anger,sorrow for mistakes made,happiness for second chances,hate,love,hope,despair..

all these at one time or another.

not looking to get flamed, but how does an upper-mid class white teen driving his (or his parents) $30k+ suv relate to gangsta black rap talking about life on the streets?

i don't get it.

avman.

We'll never know Avman. What kills me is when you're at the mall and a group of white, upper middle class teens are speaking in "yo talk." It's like they all want to be Eminem. I know it's an act. They can't speak that way at home, can they?

...and since you mentioned it, i'll tell you, i am fortunate to have been well-educated thru high school, and actually had to dummy-down the way i spoke because people would get offended by my vocabulary(talking over their head).being well-spoken is an important impression to make with important people, and has been valuable in my career.if you speak intelligently, people perceive you as intelligent.i'm not saying appearance is everything(thank God i'm an avman-i get to have long hair!1.gif)but to speak 'yo talk' like my fiancee's 17yr.old does is going to doom him in the mainstream real(job)world.14.gif

avman.

----------------

On 6/20/2003 2:44:45 PM formica wrote:

I'm in a similar boat to ken ratboy... with a little more an industrial edge... but many of the same trip-hop, drum-n-bass, experimental electronica... etc...

Favorite all time band... Front242
1.gif

----------------

Never heard of Front242. Does that just mean I'm old?

In the 5-disc right now:

1.) Happy Horse, "Save the Fi-yar"

2.) Chet's Bandsaw, "Buster's Brew"

3.) National Accordion Register, "I Can't Dance"

4.) Sassy Diggs, "Diggs This"

5.) Pool Party, "Towels Off!"

fini

----------------

On 6/20/2003 2:57:39 PM garymd wrote:

Never heard of Front242. Does that just mean I'm old?

----------------

Actually I don't think that makes you either young or old... they have been around quite some time (over 15yrs) but have never been mainstream... but they have influenced many others in the electronic/industrial styles.

I'm sure you kids have never heard of them either... hopefully that'll make you feel younger ? ... 9.gif

Rob

avman said "...how does an upper-mid class white teen driving his (or his parents) $30k+ suv relate to gangsta black rap talking about life on the streets?

i don't get it.

avman."

Always been that way. What the upper-mid class white teen (UMCWT) is relating to is the feelings of anger, rage, the desire to strike out at someone or something that is the root cause of all the unfair pain and suffering that the UMCWT is forced to bear, and which no one else in the history of the world has ever had to deal with, and which no one could possibly understand because no one else has so many problems and so much unfairness heaped upon them, and, well, etc.

Every teenager since the Neandertal's first formed nuclear family hunter-gatherer groups has felt like this. Music seems to be a universal language for expressing this (usually suppressed) feeling of helplessness, anger, dispair, rage, envy, and whatever else is in there.

How much different is it for the UMCWT to claim to relate to the "gangsta black rap" than it is to relate to Kurt Cobain screaming "Load up on guns and Bring your friends It's fun to lose And to pretend..." or Marilyn Mason shouting "...I WANNA DIE YOUNG AND SELL MY SOUL USE UP ALL YOUR DRUGS

AND MAKE ME COME YESTERDAY MAN, I WAS A NIHILIST AND NOW TODAY I'M JUST TOO F**KING BORED BY THE TIME I'M OLD ENOUGH I WON'T KNOW ANYTHING AT ALL..." or Ian Anderson singing "...He hears the silence howling catches angels as they fall And the all time winner has got him by the balls ..."

In no particular order,

Dragonforce

Richard Thompson

Duke Ellington

Fuel

Ben Folds

John Digweed

The Smiths

George Thorogood and the Destroyers

Rush

Paul Oakenfold

The Rolling Stones

Miles Davis

Mark Knopfler and Dire Straits

No Doubt

Led Zeppelin

MXPX

Whippersnapper

Blonde Redhead

Less then Jake

Jimi Hendrix

John Mayall

Bruce Springsteen

The Beatles

ZZ Top

Yes

The Police

Leo Kottke

John Coltrane

Bela Fleck and the Flecktones

Blues Traveler

Nancy Griffith

Johnny Cash

The Red Hot Chili Peppers

Brooks Williams

The Conells

Tracy Chapman

The Chemical Brothers

Collective Soul

Semisonic

Beck

And of course the one and only true King of rock and roll, Elvis Presley

Peace, Josh

Now it's:

1.) Banshee Clip, "Tantrum"

2.) Norm and the Routers, "Feelin' The Groove"

3.) Jam Spirit, "Caustic Nap Zone"

4.) Regal Fur Kazoo Ensemble, "Hum Job"

5.) The Onomotto Pianists, "Bam, Zip, Doing!"

Man this is what I get for werkin' all day...I missed a good thread.......Now I cant think of anything good to say except...I listen to smooth jazz...A lot of people think of it as elevator music,but they haven't listened to it on a good system. Theres a big difference between a transister radio and a HIFI system...try it sometime... But... everybody is different, there's different styles that moves different people..jazz, for laid back easy going people....rap, for hardcore societyhatin' people....blues, for people on the rebound (for some reason or another).... Rock, for people just out to have a good time without all the bull#$^&.... classical, for the well educated with attitude(if you know what I mean)...but those of us who are really diversified know what it's all about ...don't we??? I Know I'm going to catch it on this one!!!!

I like a little of just about everything - although I'm pretty selective about what I like in any given genre.

Only exception to this rule I've found is 50's era R&B/rock'n'roll. Can't stand the stuff. I-IV-V and I-iii-IV-V chord progressions get old really, really fast.

My all-time faves?

In no particular order:

Mr. Bungle

Dream Theater

The Police

Iron Maiden (pre-'89)

Faith No More

King Crimson

Frank Zappa/Mothers of Invention

Beatles (post-'65)

ahhh, the list goes on and on - why bother. Music is my greatest passion.

BB KING!!!!!

Old enough to be my grandfather, but my absolute favorite. Anybody else just catch his Live by Request with Jeff Beck tonight? He's just the MAN!

Other favorites:

Stevie Ray Vaughan

Albert King

Mark Knopfler

Jimi Hendrix

Grateful Dead

Going to see Norah Jones with Gilian Welch tomorrow, then Bruce and the E-Street Band in Sept. (only 20 rows back! 9.gif)