Tube amp recommendation?

Geo1

When I get my Quartets (hopefully, early next week)I plan to start looking for a tube amp to drive them. I have no experience with tubes whatsoever. How about some suggestions for starter amps and what to look for if buying on eBay, or Audiogon. Thanks.

Sorry about that! But I had to find a away to get these beasts mentioned here at Klipshland!

It seems just about everyone here is in love with either the Scott 299/299b or the Eico HF-81, both integrated stereo amps from the late 1950's/early 1960's. They can be had fairly cheaply and are easily brought up to snuff.

I guess we need more information. What kinds of music do you listen to? How much money can you spend? Do you know your way around a schematic and a soldering iron?

How about the Cary Rocket 88's at $1300 plus preamp?

How about the AR SP16 & VS55 power amp?

How about the Wright-Sound mono8's at $1k with their preamp?

How about the Maple Audio Design gear we discussed earlier on this board with the owner/designer? It's much cheaper and new.

Or...you could buy the nice Scott 222c I'm using for $350 once I get my 355 back from Craig.

One just sold for $300.

Combines a 7189-based (299-B) complete stereo amp and a 330-D AM/FM-mono tuner,

on one tall "G" chassis.

I think they are cool.

Do you like this better than the 340 which replaced it? It's a 299c/d 7591 amp with a little more power. YIKES...the 340 is minus the four 7591's which are $90 a matched quad new and they are tall than the case will hold.

I have Craig working on my 355 pre-amp tuner.

----------------

On 6/23/2003 5:17:36 PM DeanG wrote:

How about you just go with a nice solid state integrated and save yourself a headache.
:)
---------------

Actually....

Mc MA6900 is just the ticket. I sold a pair of Mc30s (plus a mountain of other things) to scrape up the cash for one of these.

I NEVER looked back.

ma6900-front.jpg

----------------

On 6/23/2003 5:17:36 PM DeanG wrote:

How about you just go with a nice solid state integrated and save yourself a headache.
:)

----------------

Because, like everyone else here, I'm not happy unless I'm miserable, worrying that I might not be getting the absolute best sound for my buck. 2.gif I will be using these speakers to listen to just 2 channel music of all types in a room that is 14' x 23' x 8'. My budget is, for now, $500 to $750. I was looking at the Jolida JD-102B. I'm a little wary of antique/classic amps just because I'm so ignorant of tubes and know so little about what I'm buying. That's why I was looking at new--warranty protection as well as customer support in case anything broke. Really starting from scratch.

that's a little nicer (and bigger) than my MA6400 John. I know what you mean about those units...I have mine in my bedroom and love it! But I didn't want to recommend anything until I saw Geo's proposed budget...that unit is a little expensive...no? regards, tony

----------------

On 6/23/2003 5:39:13 PM kjohnsonhp wrote:

How about the MapleTree Audio Design products...new and you can talk to the owner. They seem to be a good value. Search this forum for a recent chat with him.

----------------

I looked at that site and saw the Stealth 5 monoblock. It's 5wpc. Is that enough for the Quartets? They are 97.5dB @ 1 watt/1 meter.

Geo1,

I looked at that site and saw the Stealth 5 monoblock. It's 5wpc. Is that enough for the Quartets? They are 97.5dB @ 1 watt/1 meter.

For my taste no its not enough power for even my 104dB speakers.

The buy new attitude is very understandable. Vintage has its drawbacks and finding the right amp is the biggest drawback of all. The rewards after the hassle can be very rewarding though.

Sunny,

Those are a sweet little package but like all recievers they have there trade offs. I'm not much into any brand reciever to tell you the truth. Also the FM section is mono on the 399.

Craig

I have 3.25 watt per channel Moondogs - It's plenty of power for my 104db Belles! - I'm even amazed at what they do for a pair of 89db monitors.

If I were buying new and looking at what was currently available I would pop for a pair of George Wrights 2a3 monoblocks. A bit above your budget, but you'd never regret it.

They are confident enough to give you a 15 day home trial period, and if you ever decide to sell them in a couple of years, they last about 3 hours on Audiogon before they are sold. That's what I would do!16.gif

I'm curious what you think about the mono8's. They seem to be less popular than the Wright-Sound 2a3's. I had an offer on the mono8's for $1100 and passed at the last second. I also almost bought their wpl20a line/phono combo. For a little over $2k I've been curious about their sound w/Klipsch. I guess someday I could try them and then resell.

I don't really fully comprehend all the product chat until I live with them.

The

John you old snake in the grass.

I know that we talked about buying that Mac, but you never told me that you went a head and did it.

Now you are going to have to tell me what you think of it one of these days.

I just came from ebay where I picked up another C15W for $49.0016.gif

----------------

On 6/23/2003 9:54:38 PM Q-Man wrote:

I just came from ebay where I picked up another C15W for $49.00
16.gif
----------------

$49? (hmmmm...oh the bitter irony of it all!)

Whatever you do don't tell a bleeding soul that it sounds quite reasonable in the Klipschorn.

Keep that secret between just you and me!