Tube/Cornwall Problem??

Craig6519

Ok, Here's whats going on, It's happened 3 times now and I don't know what's going on. I'll be watching a movie and all of a sudden I'll here a low to high buzz, It's very rapid and short. It's almost like when a huge bug gets near your bug zapper and you here it faintly then Pow! it's gone. What could be causing this? Both the tubes and cornwalls are new to me, any info would help.

Craig

Sounds like the amp is acting up. Your description doesn't provide enough info for me to attempt a diagnosis. I see that both of your amps were serviced by Craig Otsby. I would suggest you contact him as he will be intimately familiar with both units and may be able to diagnose the problem fairly readily.

I am inclined to think that you may have a tube getting ready to crap out - but that is purely a guess.

Hi,

I had this happen to me and it turned out to be loose tube sockets. I had the high buck teflon sockets and each pin recep had to be tightened to hold the pin securely. This fixed the problem. - I have heard of others that had this same problem.

My cheapie sockets hold my tubes with a death grip - If your tubes fit very loosely in the sockets, I would try this first.

----------------

On 6/28/2003 11:04:50 PM Cut-Throat wrote:

Hi,

I had this happen to me and it turned out to be loose tube sockets. I had the high buck teflon sockets and each pin recep had to be tightened to hold the pin securely. This fixed the problem. - I have heard of others that had this same problem.

My cheapie sockets hold my tubes with a death grip - If your tubes fit very loosely in the sockets, I would try this first.

----------------

Craig,

This could be the first repair you do yourself. It's exactly what I dread. Sounds like it could be an easy one though. Good luck.

I just talked to Craig on the phone. I tend to think its a source problem maybe ?? This has never happened with anything else except playing DVD movies. Although it could be what you guys suggest. Craig I meant to ask you have you checked to see if thise used tube you were given are holding a steady bias ?? Check it you might have one of those freebie tubes going bad also but still this should happen on all inputs.

Craig

Left channel, right channel, or both?

If only one channel is acting up, swap the output tube pairs in the Dynaco around (left channel tubes with right channel tubes). Bias and listen again. Make good a good visual of the tubes while biasing, compare the tubes to each other while lit. Still there? Same channel, or now in the other one. If it stays in the same channel, move to the phase splitters -- swap them around. Still there? Move to the preamp. Does it move to the other channel, or stay put?

If it's coming from both channels it could be one of the rectifier tubes (either in the amp or preamp).

One good thing about doing this is that you will also be reseating the tubes as you go.

Didn't Craig tell you about my $79.99 amp cleanup special?1.gif

Ok Guys, Thanks again for all the reply's, finally had a few minutes today to check the balance and bias on both channels, they are both still right on, I did this after a two hour warm up. So the tubes are great in the ST-70, If I get time tomorrow I'm going to swap the speakers like I said in my earlier post.

Craig