La Scala Newbie

ull3030

This is my first post

I have a pair of La Scala cabinets(no speakers)

I owned these cabines for over 8 years. I purchased them without the componets for $40.00

I did not realize how popular these cabinets are. I purchased them because I liked the way that the horn looked. Like I said I do not have any of the original componets no horn, tweeter or the 15" speaker. Until a couple of weeks ago I did not know that people were restoring these cabinets. I was gonna throw them away before I found this site. Can anyone direct me to the proper place to find replacement parts.

Thanks for any help1.gif

Welcome to the forum. Since the Lascala is still in production, you can get all new parts directly from Klipsch. Another (cheaper) option is ebay. Either way it won't be cheap but it will be worth every penny. They are great sounding speakers! I'm sure someone will chime in with exact part #s if you want to search around. There are plans available also. Maybe someone here has some of what you need for sale. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Edit: Upon further thought, it may be cheaper to find some used Lascalas and sell the cabinets but it will certainly be a rewarding effort if you want to build them yourself.

I bought a pair of 1979 La Scalas that were hanging in a bar since 1979. I know the owners and bought them a couple of months ago for $800.

The woofers were blown and I wanted them as close to original as possible.

If I were you I'd buy brand new woofers from Klipsch. The K33e I think is what the engineers determined is the correct replacement lf driver. I wouldn't buy used woofers here. Just get new ones from Klipsch.

I WOULD attempt to find the original metal tweeters and squakers from ebay or other sources. You'll also need a xover but you could build the one designed by AL K. if you can't find the original AA La Scala xover that came from Klipsch.

You will be richly rewarded for all the effort that it will take to get these back in working order and the journey along the way will be both fun and informative for you.

Regards,

Tony B.

Before you refinish the cabinets, buy a pair of K-77, K-77-M or E-V T-35A tweeters and then 2 pair of "Z" brackets from Klipsch. The brackets flush-mount the tweeters with the front of the cabinets. The tweeter hole must be enlarged, though. Ebay will probably be your best source for tweeters, K-55-* squawker drivers and K-400 or K-401 horns. The squawker horn will be the hardest to get. You can buy K-401s from Klipsch, but last I heard they were ~$200 each. All 3 driver can be overhauled for reasonable $$ if the cone/diaphragm is bad, so I wouldn't be worried too much about that. Klipsch will do it for you and there are aftermarket companies, too.

Send Q-man a note to see what he has left. He might be able to help. Try John Warren, too.

Welcome to the Forum.

You are getting some good advice here in the responses to your question.

To pick up on what NOZ said, all except for the part about saving yourself the trouble by sending him the cabs, if your financial investment is a consideration, it would be good to get an idea about how much it would cost to assemble the elements piecemeal. There is a huge base of knowledge on this forum about the fair market value of all kinds of speaker parts. In my observation of Ebay prices and as someone mentioned in a earlier post, the best value on woofers would be to purchase new directly from Klipsch. In my observation Ebay sellers do pretty well on these, and to my sense of value and price point, a factory fresh woofer is worth a few bucks more, when there's only a few dollars difference between an unknown used speaker and a new one.

The advice on ALK crossovers is good. You can build your own or have Al K himself do the work for you. His website is www.alkeng.com. The AA crossovers are available on Ebay and there are also posts on this board and folks who have experience in optimizing them with mods for a more economical solution. I was personally amazed at the difference in sound that the ALK crossovers made in La Scalas.

There are folks right here on this forum who can help with refurbing horn drivers, if needed. BEC on this forum has usually got tweeter diaphrams on Ebay and can do the repair for you if desired. There may be others on the forum who can do the same thing.

I have got a couple of pairs of tweeters I could make available. One pair is the older alinco magnet version, in excellent condition. Also some NOS tweeters by University Sound with the newer ceramic magnets. There are fans of both on this forum. Let me know if you'd have an interest.

If you enjoy the adventure of getting parts together and assembling your own project, then this will be a huge amount of fun. I did this myself with some Oak La Scala cabinets that are absolutely beautiful. It is, however, more expensive than finding a nice pair of (complete and working) La Scalas out on Ebay or somewhere else. For furniture refinishing types, lots of folk buy Klipsch Heritage with rough cabinets and do the refinishing themselves, too.

Having fun with such a project leaves one with a deep satisfaction.

Regards,

Dee

Mike,

I would go listen to a pair of these first if you can.

Some people love them and others don't.

It would really inhale to spend all this money and then find out you don't like them.

Where exactly do you live? hopefully there is a member of the BB somewhere close so you can listen to them.

Danny

• 2 weeks later...

I have several pairs of La Scalas and I live in Central Maine, so if you're anywhere near New England and would like to hear them, just drop me a line. glroberts@prexar.com

Over the years I've owned at least 20 pair of La Scalas. I have a pair of cabinets that need to be filled also. What I did was buy an old pair of Heresy's that had bad cabinets. I paid $225 for the pair. I got the tweeters and the mid drivers out of them and I'm going to sell the rest of the components out of them. I'll just about have the tweeters and mid drivers free this way! My LS had the metal mid horns already.

I would recommend you build a set of ALK crossovers for them.

Woofers from the factory.

Greg