Ultimate Monblocks for the KHorns?

StickMan

I'm not making any recommendations.

If I did, you guys would be competing with me to aquire the specially designed driver & output tubes that have been out of production for 25 years!

16.gif

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 7/2/2003 9:42:49 PM DeanG wrote:

Another kind word about the 8417's.

The Quicksilver 8417's really weren't based on the Bogen circuit. That circuit came out of Mike's head.

After I bought my M-60's I called Mike Sanders several times with questions about it. I also wanted a schematic to the amp, which he said he didn't have. He said "the circuit is so simple you really don't need one". At any rate, at some point I brought up the 8417's -- and he shared an interesting story about them. He said that after he came up with the design and put them in production, he was reading a review where the reviewer said they were "based on the Bogen circuit". He had no idea what the reviewer was talking about, so he went and dug up the info on the Bogen. He told me, "sure enough -- same circuit". His point was that there was nothing really new under the sun.

That Monster is kind of frightening. I couldn't even afford the retube.

Vintage: Isn't the Quad mentioned actually the first amp to use "partial triode" -- which ended up being called "Ultra-linear" by Hafler and Keroes. I'm not sure, but I think Quad actually came up with the feedback loop thing off the transformer first, but the Hafler and Keroes version is what ended up becoming famous. They may have not been exactly the same, but I think the concept was similiar.

----------------

There is nothing new under the sun for sure. Or maybe "Ultrapath" was??? Nahhh!

Intereting annecdote about Mike Sanders not having seen the Bogen! The fact remain that for the bargain hunter amongst you, the Bogen MO-100 is a nice amp to get for really cheap.

As for the Quad, I'll have to check but the cathode feedback was used in two other amps before. I don't have my source about this ("Initiation aux Amplis à Tube" from Jean Hiraga) but I'll check.

I have 3 GE 8417's for sale if anyone is interested. I was going to buy an old Fisher unit that uses them but have since decided not to go that route.

I'd like to get $50 each + S&H. I paid a little more than that about 4 or 5 months ago. They're used but I haven't used them. The buyer I bought them from said they were tested and in good to excellent performance. They are clean, no smudges or burn marks etc.