Music for Baby

Miss Eithne Brennan 9.gif ENYA! I picked up her 4 disc set Only Time Collection. All of the songs sound terrific on my Klipsch and it puts me to sleep sometimes. It has some good bass to it. Especially disc four which includes "May It Be" from the Lord of the Rings-Fellowship of the Rings sound track and Song of the Sandman ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Bugs,

Liam was introduced to Enya's first solo album the day we brought him home from the hospital. He also love Simon and Garfunkle's Greatest Hits.

I am interested in getting him four or five CDs each from the classical, folk, bluegrass, jazz, and children's genres. My folks had seven children and the first five(me at #3) were stairstepped, so I never learned Itsey Bitsey Spider and all the other ditties that parents should? know. I do a great job of improvising songs, but I would really like to run with some winners that are battle tested.

Time is non-existant, and I don't want to run in the store like a college student going into a grocery store after doing three bongs of mary jane. Coming home with the equivalent of four bags of chips, two boxes of ho-hos, three pounds of ground chuck and a loaf of bread would not impress my wife.6.gif

Is Cat Steven's "tea for the Tillerman" his best effort?

Thanks,

Dave

----------------

On 7/6/2003 11:18:44 AM sheltie dave wrote:

Is Cat Steven's "tea for the Tillerman" his best effort?

Thanks,

Dave

----------------

It's always been my favorite and his most popular. Also, forget everything I've said in this thread except "Not For Kids Only" or "Shady Grove" by Garcia and Grisman. My kids grew up on Raffi. Drove me crazy but they loved him.

hmmm...5 months. To instill an appreciation to that nice strong beat may I suggest B-52s. To instill a social conscience ...the Clash or perhaps the Ramones.

Oh yeah...Reality Check. Just so the little darling is on the same page musically as her peers....Barney (the giant purple quaalude) and the Veggie tunes are hot on the tot charts these days. Stay away from the unorchestrated bleeps of the teletubbies though, future studies will indicate a tendancy towards strange sexual behavior among fans.

Less

Now here is a really strange thought....How about filling the house with SILENCE- no music, no tv and let the little tykes fill it with their own noise.

clu

I don't agree with children's music in general. I guess it's useful as tool to help them learn things (ABCDEFG...)

I say give em real music. I grew up on Stravinsky, Miles Davis, Styx, Supertramp(mommy, what does cynical mean?), Chicago, Ornette Coleman, Dave Brubeck, Three Dog Night. And this is stuff I don't ever remember hearing for the first time. It was always around. I think that kids' music is kind of like sugary snacks-if you don't give em too much, they don't get hooked on it and they'll actually eat their dinner. They might stop short of Penderecki, though.

Clueless,

I can agree with the Clash up to London Calling for instilling a sense of social conscience, but the Ramones? Mom was ready to hogtie me when she came down to do laundry and saw me acting out Beat on the Brat(with a baseball bat) and little Liam howling with joy. I don't know how I will interact with a girl, but Mom says we act like two crazed gorillas when we get together.

Maybe it's the La Scalas!

Dave

----------------

On 7/8/2003 6:25:24 PM bclarke421 wrote:

I don't agree with children's music in general. I say give em real music. I grew up on Stravinsky, Miles Davis, Styx, Supertramp(mommy, what does cynical mean?), Chicago, Ornette Coleman, Dave Brubeck, Three Dog Night.

----------------

The original poster stated that the BABY was FIVE (5) MONTHS OLD. Subjecting a FIVE (5) MONTH OLD BABY to aggressive rock and roll is not healthy. It will very likely cause the FIVE (5) MONTH OLD BABY to become irritable, anxious, fearful or maladjusted as compared to the average norm for infant development at 5 months of age.

A FIVE (5) MONTH OLD BABY cannot ask questions much less the definition of the term cynical.

Stimulation is good but it must be appropriate for a FIVE (5) MONTH OLD BABY. Lively classical music is good. Children's lullabyes are also good. Maybe even Cat Steven's 'Moon Shadow'. Styx? Supertramp? Come on man, buy clue.

A FIVE (5) MONTH OLD BABY does not eat steak and potatoes because it cannot chew, adequately swallow or digest such foods. The same goes for the baby's nervous system and emotional capacity to properly digest any external auditory or visual stimuli.

Tony B.