need a nice preamp?

Deang

Those interested should be aware that the version listed in the ad is not an SLP-94 which has the built-in Phono Stage. The unit in the ad has to be either the SLP-94L (Line Stage only) or the SLP-94B (Balanced Out Line Stage) versions. It's compliment of tubes are: 2-6CA4 Rectifiers, and 4-12AU7 ( 2-Buffer/2-Line Stage).

I have the SLP-94 with built in Phono Stage which I'm using with Laurel IIX Monoblocks and just love it! If someone here buys it, please try a pair of E80CC tubes in the rear 12AU7 Buffer Slots.

Anyone interested should ask the seller if the unit has the much preferred Oil Caps Upgrades. If no upgrades and given the lack of a built-in Phono Stage, I would try to get the selling price down to near the $800.00 range, that would be an excellent buy, imo. If that Zip Code is correct, that seller is about 20 minutes from me.

Guy,

thanks for the input - I suppose my friend is just overprotective.....

Tubelion,

I am very pleased with the ALKs, but sometimes on gets rather curious - I should try atteching a wire to the tap x - thanks for the hint!

Wolfram

----------------

On 7/6/2003 4:41:41 PM garymd wrote:

How would that preamp mate with a Mac MC-240? Should I be looking for another Mac to complement the 240 as I've been advised or are there other alternatives such as this? I've never owned seperates so please excuse my newbieness.
12.gif

----------------

Yes, you can own different preamps from other manufacturers. When I used my McIntosh MC7200 SS amp, I used an AMC CVT-1030s vacuum tube preamp with it...worked out just fine.

----------------

On 7/7/2003 4:27:20 PM ShapeShifter wrote:

Those interested should be aware that the version listed in the ad is not an SLP-94 which has the built-in Phono Stage
The unit in the ad has to be
either
the
SLP-94L
(Line Stage only)
or
the
SLP-94B
(Balanced Out Line Stage) versions
It's compliment of tubes are: 2-6CA4 Rectifiers, and 4-12AU7 ( 2-Buffer/2-Line Stage).

I have the SLP-94 with built in Phono Stage which I'm using with Laurel IIX Monoblocks and just love it! If someone here buys it, please try a pair of
E80CC
tubes in the rear 12AU7 Buffer Slots.

Anyone interested should ask the seller if the unit has the much preferred Oil Caps Upgrades. If no upgrades and given the lack of a built-in Phono Stage, I would try to get the selling price down to near the $800.00 range, that would be an excellent buy, imo. If that Zip Code is correct, that seller is about 20 minutes from me.

----------------

As I mentioned above, this preamp has already been sold. I inquired about it and found out it did not have the phono section. If it had it, I probably would have gotten it as it was still available when I inquired. I didn't notice the zip code as it is also relatively close to me. Maybe I should've gotten it anyway -- I could've just picked it up in person. Oh well, I just picked up a SLP-70 recently, and I'm pretty happy with that one.

JMON,

In my haste to comment on the lack of a phono stage, I overlooked the sold statement.

I've heard very good reports on the SLP-70. How do you like your's and does it have the built-in phono stage? Also wondering if you live in Southeastern Michigan area or Northern Ohio?

Good examples of SLP-70's or SLP-94's don't turn-up too often and generally sell fast.

Shapeshifter:

I am currently in the Detroit Metro area. Unfortunately, my SLP-70 does not have a phono section. I got it for a nice price though, so I can't complain about that. Thus far, I am very impressed with it. I have only been able to use it with the "budget" system I put together. I have an HK730 that has the ability to bypass either the preamp or amp section and use it as a "separate". So I am using this preamp with the amp section of the HK730. This preamp has only further sold me on tubes as the sound really improved with the SLP-70 inserted into the mix. I have had a tube power amp for a while, but was in need of a tube preamp to get fully "tubed". I'm glad I now have that and can't wait to be able to install it in my main system.

I also figured that SLP-94 would sell quickly. I think it sold within 24 hours of being listed.

----------------

On 7/7/2003 10:40:05 PM jt1stcav wrote:

----------------

On 7/6/2003 4:41:41 PM garymd wrote:

How would that preamp mate with a Mac MC-240? Should I be looking for another Mac to complement the 240 as I've been advised or are there other alternatives such as this? I've never owned seperates so please excuse my newbieness.
12.gif

----------------

Yes, you can own different preamps from other manufacturers. When I used my McIntosh MC7200 SS amp, I used an AMC CVT-1030s vacuum tube preamp with it...worked out just fine.

----------------

Thanks for the reply Jim. It may not be an issue after tonight though. Stay tuned for more information.......

----------------

On 7/8/2003 6:48:27 PM JMON wrote:

Shapeshifter:

I am currently in the Detroit Metro area. Unfortunately, my SLP-70 does not have a phono section.....

----------------

JMON,

Thanks for the reply. Nice to know there are other members in the area. I have a Conrad Johnson PV-1 Phono Stage sitting idle. It's available if you would like to use it til you get a suitable phono stage. Just shoot me an email if you are interested.

Wes

Shapeshifter:

Thanks for the generous offer. Forunately I do have a phono preamp. It is a separate preamp by Creek. I would prefer to get a tube-based unit, and one that is integral to the main preamp would also be nice. For now, the Creek will do. Thanks again for the offer!