Using RCVR preout but what amps?

Bruinsrme

After several months of no upgrade to the HT gear I have been contemplating using the preouts of the Pioneer 49txi and using external amps for the fronts and center.

I have about $2000 to play with. I am looking for suggestions on whether to do this or not or what amps to use.

thanks

scott

I guess there is two answers.

I want to see if the external amps will (I hate to use the term) tone down the brightness of the pioneer and rf7s.

The second answer. I am bored and wondering if it would make a difference. But the main reason is the brightness issue.

The amps would be used in the future for either HT#2 of if i decide to go seperates for this current HT.

Or the other option is to demo other receivers and move the pioneer to the rugrats XBOX/HT room.

Scott

Running outboard amps is going to make a BIG difference! It will not only tame the brightness from that Pioneer receiver it is going to increase clarity, dynamics, and impact tremendously. In factI just reconfigured my outboard amps recently to run the speakers a little differently and that made an improvement in the sound. You can try 5 Marantz MA-700 monoblocks rated at 175 Watts they can be had for less than 2K, or Aragon & Acurus amps. There is alot of choices out there. I chose late 80's vintage DBX consumer group amplifiers to run off my Denon receiver. They can be run in 2,3, or 4 channel configurations making them very versatile. Reconfiguring my DBX BX-1 from running a 100W to the Khorns to 400W made a big jump in clarity. They will never ever see 400W but having those kind of power reserves available and the fact that it runs Class A in the wattage range that it normally runs in makes a big difference. The power supply and capacitors in that Pioneer receiver are wimpy and weak compared to those in a decent outboard power amplifier. Good luck in your quest you won't be sorry.

If you are planning a second HT, and have an idea of going separates, why not go separates for the RF-7s, move the Pioneer into HT#2, and purchase amp/preamp more accommodating to the RF system (and speakers for HT#2 that are more accommodating to the Pioneer)? Just a thought......

If you want to smooth out your RF system, start with the preamp. This will influence the sonics greatly (second only to the speakers IMO) - a smooth sounding preamp will do wonders to solve the brightness problems with the RF setup. Think McIntosh, B&K, Classe. The amp helps too - my Mac smoothed out my 2 main HT channels a great deal (and I have a very detailed sounding preamp). If you want amp brands to try, again think McIntosh (especially McIntosh), B&K, Classe.....think smooooooooth. If you have a high end electronics dealer in your area, maybe you can in-home-demo some stuff (any GOOD high end dealer should be able to help you here). Also, possibly other forum members/Reference owners near you have some different gear you can listen to.

You should also talk to DeanG about crossovers. I've heard his RF-7 kit, and I think he is on to something here. Those crossovers are a helluvalot cheaper than new amps. Yes, amps will give some improvement (but IMO the preamp matters more), and to test the theory see if you can home demo something, but the brightness issue will also be helped with some upgraded crossovers.

Dean had a set he was going to sell - I'm not sure if he still has them. You might ask him about these.

All three (amp, preamp, crossovers) will help. Do all three and the RFs will be the best they can possibly be. The RF-7s are just like other big Klipsch - they are as good as the electronics you hook up to them (which is not an insult to the Pioneer - it just may not be the best match for the RF's), and the synergy between the components in the system. You just have to keep experimenting until you get that combination that brings the sound you want to your ears.

I am using my Onkyo receiver pre-outs to feed an external Adcom amp. The clarity over the Onkyo is very obvious with any kind of music, and it makes a very nice pre-amp in direct mode. I am still using the Onkyo amps to feed center & rear, & since it also has amp in, I am using the 2 front channel amps to drive the subs.

Audible,

Thank you for your reply. The situation I am aiming for is to drive the Fronts and center with external amps and pouring the $2000 solely on amps. I realize going new seperates would yeild the highest audible difference but HT2 is still down the road. Amps can be hidden a little easier than an entire new setup. It would be very difficult to explain why I bought the 16 foot camper instead of the 23 foot to the family.

I am looking forward to trying this out and I thank all those who have replied. I will let everyone know how it ends up. I guess this will drive me to finish the 2 new walls in the HT.

Thanks

Scott

I recently began using my Outlaw 1050 as a pre-amp and added 3 Parasound 1000A stereo amps. The 1000A has 125 wpc (8 ohms) in stereo and 400 in bridged mono. These amps are more than enough for my KG 3.2s. Cost: on eBay or Audiogon, no more than $350. So, for about $1K, my system took a big step up (I think so anyway).

Well I have to say I didn't realize how uneducated about this topic I was. The replies have definitely helped. Now I am hoping you guys/girls can help me with my other problem. I would not think twice about dropping the bills for the an amp like the Parasound A51 or the A52 or a comparable (spelling) Mcintosh.

Do I really need to drop $4000 not that I wouldn't. And if I don't what will I be sacrificing?

Thanks again

Scott

i don't think you have to drop $4000 to get something that sounds incredible. there are tons of options out there, but for 4,000 bones i would recommend the b&k ref 50 ($2100 from american theater systems) and the parasound hca-220at ($1750 from audio advisor). or you could get the b&k ref 200.7 for around $2000 as well. you can back down from there or move up to sunfire, bel canto, and krell. as you have heard from many others the outlaw and acurus brands sound awesome considering their price. don't rule out jolida either. they are bringing out a 5 channel amp soon which will be a beast as well. nevertheless as long as you get something of quality you will be very pleased.

If you're not happy with the top pioneer its probably the pre amp section.The pioneer amp has more than enough power for rf7's,although not the best,imo.A new amp will only make the sounds you don't like louder.Sunfire or most 2k and up preamps would have much more impact on sound quality.I use a 1k Denon 3803pre and 1k Parasound for power,in my case an outboard amp does do the job.Your case is a little different as I just wanted more raw power,I love the pre amp section of the 3803 with the 7's.

Fish, I have intentions on buy something different in the future. I decided to go the way of the amp to try it out. If the amp doesn't make a difference it will be used and I will have it for the next set up. Thank you for the advice and taking the time in helping me.

There really isn't a rush on anything being since today I finally finished the new wall but still have to rerun the wires over the ceiling and down the walls. Still a couple of days before i have that all complete then I have to put in the AC. Having never attempted sucha task that could take some time.

Scott

Scott,

Probably the best wat to tone down any harshness on the RF-7s is to treat your listening room as you finish it. I have zero harshness with the same setup. I have heavy drapes that help absorb sound as well as carpet and stuffed furniture.

I also use THX re-equalization on many sources to roll off the treble.

The benefit of my outboard amp is to add dynamics to my front speakers and to add dialog clarity. I use a B&K amp which runs class A for the first several watts. In your position, I would look on eBay and Audiogon. I would stay away from the B&K AV5125 and AV6125 due to a lower signal to noise ratio. Other B&Ks are excellent buys.

Brands that I would look at would be McIntosh, Bryston and Pass Labs. The Brystons come with a 20 year warranty that is said to be tranferable.

Bill