This can't be happening, Tinnitus

I wason my home lastnight from a friends house, we just drove around for about an hour going to random places. My music was playing at the level that you could still talk over it, it was not loud by any means.

Then all of a sudden I feel this sensation that my ear (the right one) needed to be popped, like when you changle altitudes or something. If I turned my head it would go away (let the air go into it, i had the sunroof open and the windows). When i turned off the car after reaching my house, I realized that there was this awful ringing in my ear (the right one). I thought that it would go away by this morning (7 hours later), but I still have the ringing, though it was gone for about 5 minutes.

Can you get tinnitus without blasting music? I have TMJ and that can cause it, should we go back to my orthodontist who screwed up my jaw in the first place? (Before going to him my teeth were straight and my jaw was just fine, after gong to him, i have one two that is slightly at an angle and TMJ... midlife crisis when his wife died of cancer, he is not psycho. used to be an amazing orthodontist).

This is too annoying and I did nothing to provoke it. It just be from the TMJ... you think? I know a few ppl here have it, what do you do to help it?

FWIW, I was listening to Michelle Branch's new album,"Hotel Paper". It is really a pretty decent CD. If I turn my head where the right ear is pointed towards the noise, the ringing in that ear goes away, just like in the car when I put the ear into the wind. And it does not matter the volume really... louder kinda defeats the purpose, but a listening volume of a typical person removes the ringing... unless I turn the ear away from the sound.15.gif

Justin,

I believe that high amounts of caffiene also contribute. Bad for me as I'm addicted to coffee.

Might have been an issue with wind noise in the car as well. Cab drivers and truck drivers who drive with windows open often have hearing loss in their left ear.

Marvel

Tinnitus can be caused by a variety of prescription and non-prescription drugs, as well as caffeine, red wine, and grain based spirits. Take a good hard look at what you consume, and see what you can eliminate.

A really big one is aspirin (salycilate) and Aspartame (Nutrasweet) is allegedly a major cause.

Oh ****. May be time to go after that dentist after all...

Just found this on http://www.bixby.org/faq/tinnitus/discover.html#allergic

-------------------------------

Temporo-Mandibular Joint (TMJ) Syndrome:

This jaw disorder may cause tinnitus and is characterized by many symptoms, including headaches, earaches, tenderness of the jaw muscles, dull facial pain, jaw noises, the jaw locking open, and pain while chewing. For a good online document on TMJ, see:

Justin

It definetely is your TMJ. After a car crash years ago, I suffered from TMJ for about 10 years. When the jaw cartilige moves it can cause a LOT of preasure in your ears causing the pops and ringing.

What you are describing sound just like what would happen to me. Your hearing will not be effected.

JM

as far as prescriptions are concerned, Justin, you may wish to check them. Big tinnitus contributers include

- NSAID's (naproxen, ibuprofen, Vioxx, and others)

- Anti-depressants (tricyclics in particular)

Watch what you eat and drink, and try eliminating one prescription at a time to see if you can affect a change. Don't just drop everything - the key is to isolate the perpetrator, not become a macrobiotic vegan or something 1.gif

Aspertame??!! Great, I just about live on that stuff now that I have Type I Diabetes and drink diet pop. Just about the only thing I drink that doesn't have it is either water (not often) or 2% milk which has more natual sugars than you might think. I too have it in my right ear (not the milk) but it doesn't go away if I turn my head though. Only drugs I'm on is Novolin 70/30 insulin.

I'll have to see if I can slow down on Aspertame and caffine and try something else that won't kill me.

Now here's something kookie, if I concentrate hard on the noise I can make it louder to something short of deffening. Too bad I can't make it quieter.

----------------

On 7/9/2003 1:03:54 PM Griffinator wrote:

as far as prescriptions are concerned, Justin, you may wish to check them. Big tinnitus contributers include

- NSAID's (naproxen, ibuprofen, Vioxx, and others)

- Anti-depressants (tricyclics in particular)

Watch what you eat and drink, and try eliminating one prescription at a time to see if you can affect a change. Don't just drop everything - the key is to isolate the perpetrator, not become a macrobiotic vegan or something
1.gif

----------------

Well that's a shame.. I take naproxesodium, vioxx, zoloft, zomig, vicodin (once a week), depakote/tegretol (switches), and then some. Stupid epilepsy/migrain disorder with a side of depression (only when the other two get bad though, whew).

I don't take every single one every single day however. I take imitrex or zomig (depending on the situation) about once a day. the depakote/tegretol (depends on my med schedule, changes tri monthly) twice a day, vioxx/zoloft/effexor i take one a day, and these change randomly (i adapt to my medicine so I have to alternate when one stops working, these are for depression but MOSTLY for the migraines as a preventative). The Vioxx and Naproxesodium are for other pains I have...

Life is grand when you are neurologically ill at 15 years old and it get progressively worse as you age (now nearly 19).

Yay Justin! 1.gif

Hey Justin: do you have a history of ear damage/ torn eardrum? This causes my wife all manner of problems on windy days.

Do you have wisdom teeth, are they impacted? One of the symtoms of impacted wisdom teeth can be ringing in the ears and they usually become symptomatic around the age 18-22.

The most likely cause is one of the meds you are taking though. Edit: Zoloft definitely has tinnitus as a side effect and I am nearly sure vioxx does as well.

Justin,

Clueless has given you good advice. Get to the doctor. Procrastination can sometimes mean the difference between satisfactory recovery and well, you don't want those heresy's to go to waste do you?

Regards,

Dee

p.s. you are worth a trip to the doctor even if it turns out to be insignificant in hindsite.

Dunno what happened to my reply, but I guess I can retype it 7.gif

Justin - Naproxen and Vioxx are definitely bad news. So is Zoloft. Outside of that, there's nothing in your list I would be concerned about. Were I you, I'd think about getting off Tegretol - it's an anti-psychotic with some really nasty long term effects. I had a doctor prescribe that crap for me once - I told him to stuff it. He backed off and gave me depakote instead. I don't do the psychoactive drug roller coaster ride anymore - too much money and not enough results. Be very careful with Vicodin - it's a great painkiller, but like any codeine derivative, it's addictive as hell. I'm dancing in that fire right now because of my back problems - it's a very slippery slope if you don't watch yourself.

Tom - There are plenty of alternatives to Nutrasweet that are a hell of a lot less toxic. Stevia (a naturally occuring calorie-free sweetener) comes immediately to mind, as does Splenda (a sugar-derivative that does not elevate your blood sugar level). Get off the diet soda - Nutrasweet actually can inhibit calorie burning in your body (read - it'll make you GAIN weight!) and it has a host of other nasty side effects as well. Remember - what you're consuming is basically a massive dose of a single amino acid (Phenylalanine) - whenever you ingest a huge amount of one amino, it has the potential to create deficiencies (sp?) in others - your body attempts to build protein and store it but cannot, so it cannibalizes to gather the missing ingredients.

I know, I'm a walking trivia machine. I really need to try out for "Jeopardy" - I read too much.

Oh man I know all about tegratol's effects. I don't remember 1/2 of my sophomore year of high school, period. What I have been told is pretty scary. I don't like tegratol but if it makes me able to function even a little, it is worth it. I take it in short bursts though, just destroys my memory and a lot of basic ablilites some don't think would be hard. I could not walk, barely talk... it was just bad. I missed more school than that I attended the first semester (yet I kept a 90+ average in all my advanced classes!) all this did not hurt me till my junior year when i did not remember what i learned the year before. and that hurt my senior year.

yikes, a tree limp just flew into my back yard from, none other than my neighbors' tree..., and crashed into the pool shed! gotta go guys. these storms are kinda crazy out here.

BTW, i had cranial secral treatment today (my office pays for this and foot massages every week!). It REALLY helped the tinnitus. if you have it, check out this treatment.

I'M REALLY MAD! THIS IS SO SO WRONG.

WHO ARE WE TO GIVE MEDICAL ADVICE TO ANYONE?

GIVE ME A FLOCKING BREAK!

Justin is on some serious medications/combos and these off-hand recommendations and suggestions could potentially harm his physical/mental well being. Neurology is one of the least understood branches of medicine.

11.gif11.gif11.gif11.gif11.gif11.gif11.gif11.gif11.gif11.gif11.gif11.gif11.gif

Justin get your asperatame to a flocking doctor, you may just have a sinus infection, or a frigging bunion.

I agree with Cluless

If the tinnitis persists for more than a few hours get your assets to a Doctor. At your age the odds are that it doesn't mean much but given your medical Hx. it makes sense to get a knowledgeable opinion from someone who is in a position to check things out properly.

LOL another been there story for you......

A lotta years ago I called my doctor and:

Me: Trust me on this ! For the last few days I have been hearing a noise in my head that sounds like something walking around in there.

He: Errumm........ We did discuss illegal substances the last time you were here !

Me: Hey !! I already told you I never inhale !

I went to his office and he looked in my ear with an otoscope. I knew something was up when he said - Well Fark Me... and started laughing - (We were the same approximate age and on friendly terms personally). He syringed my ear and showed me the drowned carcass of the poor little bugg*r that had been touring around inside my ear.

A few months later I moved and asked that he send my medical records to the medic in my new stomping ground. That he did but he also sent me a Xerox of his notes for that day - An approximation follows:

Lynn called and complained of noises in his head -Auditory Hallucinations ?? - No delusional content and denies LSD etc. use etc. - Saw pt. and discovered earmite - syringed ear - referred cat to vet - Didn't share fears with pt.