Mac Xperts?

garymd

----------------

On 7/9/2003 9:59:01 PM NOSValves wrote:

What 240 is that ??

Hey Jimmy Page owned it and he only wants $600 Yea right !!

----------------

Sorry Craig. I forgot. 2 years. Can I buy you a pre/tuner to go with it?2.gif

Nah, since this preamp is in Brooklyn, it is only about an hour drive for me. So, Gary can buy the preamp, I'll pick it up, and then Craig can send the 240 to me for a listen (I'll only need it for about a year). Then I'll send the combo to Craig and he can take his time with the pair. Does that work for everyone???9.gif

Win,

I'm still waiting to hear from the seller. He's tacking on $50 for shipping (from NYC to MD!). I asked if this was negotiable since it's only about $15 including insurance. No response yet. If it's picked up how can he defend the $50? Typical ebay power seller/garage sale hunter. Still a good deal at $650. Thanks for the offer Win. I hope something can be worked out.

BTW everyone, I'm talkinh about the MX-110 previously owned by Jimmy Paige9.gif that I just bought with the help and guidance of Win (aka Dodger). We had a nice chat. He's a great guy and is extremely knowledgable.

That's it. I'm done buying equipment! Soon I'll be selling something. Just don't know what yet.

Gary,

If he ships this thing, $15 will in no way cover packing to do it properly plus pay the shipping. Trust me Gary, shipping a glass faced Mac is no easy undertaking. If you have spent the $600 to buy it, you should do what it takes to ensure that the seller packs it properly - and if that means paying the seller a few extra bucks for a QUALITY packing job, so be it.

If you beat up the seller on packing fees, he will have NO incentive to do it well. He'll just turn you over to UPS, and we all know what collecting from UPS insurance is like (uhhhh......pulling teeth).

So pay him what he wants for a GOOD packing job, or........

Even better yet, go get it. If I were within 4 hours drive or so, that's what I would be doing.....ask Dean1.gif

I know you won't break it in transit9.gif

You'll love it...this pre sounds quite yummy3.gif

This is the "early" MX-110 and is the less desireable model--the very late ones with "Z" serial numbers (with the pan-loc mounts and the same styling as the C-22 and MR-71) routinely sell for at least $200 more than the early models. TO be honest I have only owned one MX-110 and it was a "Z" model-- it was a great preamp and a wonderful tuner.

$650 seems to me to be TOP dollar for this one--it had BETTER be mint.

----------------

On 7/10/2003 6:38:54 PM Allan Songer wrote:

This is the "early" MX-110 and is the less desireable model--the very late ones with "Z" serial numbers (with the pan-loc mounts and the same styling as the C-22 and MR-71) routinely sell for at least $200 more than the early models. TO be honest I have only owned one MX-110 and it was a "Z" model-- it was a great preamp and a wonderful tuner.

$650 seems to me to be TOP dollar for this one--it had BETTER be mint.

----------------

It's not too late to back out since I haven't paid yet although I hate to do that. Any other opinions would be appreciated.

Allan,

Why is this one less desireable? I've seen some go for significantly more. More than cosmetics? I've also heard varied opinions on the C-20 although some of those go for quite a bit of $$$$ too.

I did get a response from the seller. Seems like a decent guy. He's going to great lengths to pack correctly. Tubes seperate, etc. He says shipping quote was $55 which I find difficult to believe. The 240 (60lbs) shipped to Craig cost me $18.80 with $499 insurance!

Gary, please don't back out, it's just not a cool thing to do. Follow through on the deal.

I've had sellers give me shipping prices that were much higher than they should be too. What is usually the case is they are getting a price from a local pack and ship company for the cost of packing and shipping, and then just calling it shipping. They may not even realize the quoted price is mostly packing charge.

Looks like a go on the Belle, I'll keep you posted.

Greg

Don't worry. I'm going through with it. Sometimes I write before I think! lol I couldn't do that to a seller without just cause. He's going UPS. I can't imagine a Mac product in good shape like that isn't worth $600. If they're out there I haven't seen them. I'm pretty excited about the whole thing. Maybe I could have gotten a better tuner/pre but I also could have spent a lot more and I'm getting a good Mac system (amp/tuner/preamp) for around $1k so that's how I'm looking at it.

Great news Greg. I'll be waiting for details! As I was telling Jhawk earlier, one night when the wife's out I'll have to put the belle at center and heresys in rear and watch a couple movies with a nice full size all heritage HT. Don't worry Greg. It'll be well taken care of. 9.gif

Thanks everyone for your input.

You made a fair deal---you'd be hard pressed indeed to find any thing else for $600 that will give you a preamp and tuner of this quality. I think the main beef with the older MX-110 is in the tuner anyway and FM for the most part BLOWS, so not to worry!!

Now you can start lookng for some REAL tubes for that MC-240!!

And they're gonna cost you MORE than you paid for the amp!

----------------

On 7/11/2003 6:22:32 PM jt1stcav wrote:

Gary, you're a tried 'n' true "Machead" now! Maybe you should change your ID name to "garymac" instead.

Congrats on the pre/tuner purchase; it'll be an excellent mate to your MC240.

----------------

Thanks Jim. The MX-110 uses the original C-22 preamp. Those go for a pretty penny by themselves. Now it's just a waiting game as is with all ebay purchases. I've spent the last hour measuring, trying to figure out how I'm going to fit all this gear under my tv. I need to make room for the 240 and the 110 which means I'll have to buy a couple fans since it will be a tight squeeze. The TT may end up on the floor next to the cabinet which means I'll have to make a nice matching little maple stand for it to sit on (WAF). Makes me appreciate the size of the scott. Maybe the best WAF tube setup out there.1.gif