La Scalas on AudioGon

"Hope someone here got them for a steal!!"

I'm new here but I picked them up a couple of nights ago. The finish needs a little work but the wood is in good shape overall. Consecutive serial numbers ('76) with type AA networks in them and all drivers are working.

My problem now is I need to find another pair (or one) somewhere near me (can't imagine shipping them) for a center channel. :)

Shawn

There was a single Belle listed on the same page for $500 which would make a nice center for those La Scala's. So for $1100 you would have a pair of La Scala's and a Belle center it would certainly be hard to beat that. I am not sure on the location of the Belle though with any luck it may be near you. I got my center channel La Scala for $300 and my La Scala rears for $400 so I got 3 La Scala's for $700 now there is a deal! 9.gif

"I am not sure on the location of the Belle though with any luck it may be near you. "

It is in Washington, D.C. I'm in Ma. that would be about a 15 hour trip overall to pick it up. I was worried enough about rain (pickup truck) picking up the La Scala's a couple of nights ago and that was only 2 hours on the way back.

I'd really prefer to have all La Scalas though and since that is such a haul I'll probably pass on the Belle and keep an eye out for La Scalas a little closer to me. If anybody happens to have any for sale in the area please let me know.

" so I got 3 La Scala's for $700 now there is a deal!"

That is a good deal.

Shawn

The belle is sold I believe and I will be the keeper for a while until the buyer comes to the DC area for a visit. When this was first posted a couple weeks ago I offered my services and another forum member took me up on it. I'm looking forward to having a belle in the house for a while since I've never heard one.1.gif

Not been to the BMW board often lately. I still futz with the car - latest was finishing the strut trilogy with a body brace.

Do you have any other Klipschs? You may find you want to augment the bass on the LaScala - although many find no need.

As to a center - I have built a few speakers recently including a center to work with my all around heresy. Since the most critical timbre match (to my ears) is the mid and high Freqs you can get the matching drivers and horns, use the hf Xovers and only modify Xover for a woofer (or two) that gets close to the LaScala lows (this is a assuming a sub is in the mix). While a bit of a compromise it brings in that clear detail and you can get it together in a smaller package.

If you go with another pair - someone here will grab your remaining speaker.

Cheers and good to hear you typing again. Is that hot rod 1.9 still in the garage?

"Do you have any other Klipschs? "

Nope, the La Scalas are my first pair. I'm working on a theater in my basement and they are going to be the front channels for it.

"You may find you want to augment the bass on the LaScala - although many find no need."

For music they do pretty well on their own but for movies they do seem to need some help for max. impact. I have several subs so that won't be an issue.

" While a bit of a compromise it brings in that clear detail and you can get it together in a smaller package."

The theater is going to be a dedicated room so the size of a La Scala center won't be a problem. The screen will start right above them.

"If you go with another pair - someone here will grab your remaining speaker."

That is good to know. I'll be watching for another local pair.

"Is that hot rod 1.9 still in the garage?"

Yup, it isn't going anywhere!

Shawn