2 RF-7s or 3 RF-3IIs

cdsang

The 7s would cost me 675 each, and the RF-3s will cost me 300 each. So 1350 for 2 RF-7s or $900 for 3 RF-3IIs to complete my speaker set as a full 5 tower system. A projector will have to wait(darn it). Perhaps a new reciver for 1300 would be ok, but as anyone here knows, the better the speakers the better the system, and the speakers are the best bargin. I listen mostly to music, so the RF-7s seem a good way to go, but, the 5 3s would make movies sound better, or even better, if i used all 5 for music. What do you think I should do? Thank you in advance.

CD

Sounds like a pretty good deal on those 7's. I'll tell you though, I'm very satisfied with my purchase of 5 RF3-II's. The reason? Price. My dealer still wanted $2200 for a pair of them. I got the 3-II's at a very nice discount and that made my decision easy. If I was in your boat though I'd likely start to sway towards the 7's...they're awesome.

Do I undertand that you have 3 rf3's and need to add two more?

Either way, if funds permit go for the 7's, the ref line is all voiced the same. For five channel, 3's and 7's will pan fine.

Tom

Edit:

I just reread your post, get the two 7, and one 3 when funds permit. That would be awesome!!

Tom

----------------

On 7/15/2003 7:38:32 PM marksdad wrote:

listen to gary, plus unless you are listening to dvd-a, or dvd-v, you dont have use for 5 speaks in music, matrixing downgrades the overall quality
12.gif

----------------

marksdad, Never heard of sacd multichannel. Once you heard this you wont go back to 2 channels.

Would go for the RF-3s. Spend the rest to a decent dvd/sacd player.

Movies and Multichannel sacd would be very nice on 5 RF-3´s!!

But if 2 channel is more important the RF-7´s would do better.

I paid even more for one of mine RF-3´s than you will have to for an RF-7!!!!

Pfff 300 for an RF-3 ????????

What about 5 RF-7´s at that price . .(If you have the place)

Ok, now that I have a good idea, should I get 1 more RF-3II and soon after RF-7s? Or should I stick with what I have and get RF-7s. The reason I ask is, RF-3IIs are now pretty rare. So the sooner I know, the better. The 3 i can get as soon as tommorow. The 7s, well, in a few months. I can get these speakers at The Sound of Tristate on RT 13 in Dover Delaware. Talk to a guy named Larry or Jay and they can useally get you a nice deal.

CD

uspark not only have i heard of it but i play it regularly, multichannel sacd does not fit into the matrix category, it has discreet channels, instead of taking two channels and twisting them to reproduce 5 channel output, but i do still play multichannel output on 2 channel jusy to hear the cornerhorns wail12.gif

Again it seems you are questioning the decision.

The RF-7's are much more open and with the propery source and amp you can really make those baby's sing. Also being rated at 250watts leaves you wide open for your amp. Much larger needing more space.

The RF-3's are, too me, much tighter. Rated at 150 watts you may loose some "headroom" if you ever really drive them. Much smaller and lighter needing less space.

You really can't go wrong either way. My problem would have been "I could have gotten" even though I might not need them.

Good Luck!

9.gif

I am not exactly sure if I said it all right or you didn't read all of it, but in either of my decions it seems the RF-7s are in there. The only real quesion is, should I get an RF-3II as a center and move my recent ones to back after I get the 7s. The set up would be. Mains as RF-7s, RF-3II Center and Surrounds, or Mains as RF-7s, RC-3II as a Center, and RF-3IIs as Sorrounds.

CD

Yea, I probabaly misunderstood.

You have not mentioned the RC-7 as a center. The reason I say this is that I had the RC-3 as a center and upgraded to the 7. That alone was the best single upgrade to my whole setup, even better than RF-3's to RF-7's. I got my RC-7 for around $600 new and it sounds like you are getting better pricing than I am. The 7 has better bass and headroom than the much thinner sounding RC-3. With movies that is the most important speaker.

If you can get RF7's that's the way to go. But like Phil said you won't be satisfied with the RC3 for the center. I have an RC3 in our bedroom system, and an RC7 in the family room setup and there is no comparison. The RC7 is an excellent center channel speaker.

----------------

On 7/17/2003 4:18:17 AM marksdad wrote:

uspark not only have i heard of it but i play it regularly, multichannel sacd does not fit into the matrix category, it has discreet channels, instead of taking two channels and twisting them to reproduce 5 channel output,

Yes, I should have know. You have the denon 2900.

So It would make sense to have 5 RF-3 for music. Isn't it.

----------------

On 7/17/2003 4:18:17 AM marksdad wrote:

but i do still play multichannel output on 2 channel jusy to hear the cornerhorns wail
12.gif

----------------

Oh, If you do this then your denon 2900 have to do some management to multiplex the discrete channels in 2 channels.

This would result in less quality!!

From my latest experiment I found also that there is a subwoofer discrete channel effective used in sacd. So you definitly need a subwoofer to prevent to do bass management to multiplex this channel to the large speakers!!

I have my sony set all speakers to large and subwoofer to yes. So no management on any channel.