dampening horns? I know someone here has done it.

prodj101

Doubt many folks have tried dampening horns. The water is not good for the rest of the system.

OTOH lots of folks with Heritage series speakers have damped their squawker horns. Most folks here use rope caulk or Dynamat or its generic equivalent. Some manufacturers in the past have used the equivalent of automotive undercoating. Many folks report that damping tames the squawker. Some report that they cannot hear a difference. Your mileage may vary.

BTW damping applies only to the metal horns. The new horns made of plastic are inherently better damped and don't need anything special done to them.

----------------

BTW damping applies only to the metal horns. The new horns made of plastic are inherently better damped and don't need anything special done to them.

----------------

I disagree on that blanket statement about plastic horns. I think it might depend on the resin and it's thickness. The K-85-K horns on my KG5.5s did indeed benefit (although it was subtle) from a layer of rope caulk. I did an A-B test with just one of the horns caulked and could detect a positive difference (with the damped horn) -- so I ended up caulking the other horn too.

I have la scalas and i dampend the mid horn with rope caulk. I did not try dynamat because it was way more expensive and more of a hassle. Also rope caulk is quite thick which makes me believe that it does just as good if not better of a job as the dynamat. I did hear a very slight difference. however, i always thought that the midrange on the la scala is way too big and too overpowering for that speaker used on todays amps with todays music. therefore, i unscrewed the squawker driver and placed about six or seven drier sheets ( you know the static ones) in between the driver grate and the horn opening thus lowering the output of the midhorn by about 2 or 3 dbs. To me this made the highs seem clearer because i wasnt hearing such overpowering mids. It seemed to balance the sound better. I dont think there is anything wrong with la scala. I think its a deficiency in todays electronics coupled with todays electronic music. Maybe this helps.

----------------

On 7/24/2003 8:05:30 AM clspruiell wrote:

i unscrewed the squawker driver and placed about six or seven drier sheets ( you know the static ones) in between the driver grate and the horn opening thus lowering the output of the midhorn by about 2 or 3 dbs. To me this made the highs seem clearer because i wasnt hearing such overpowering mids.

----------------

Friend, I bet you have the AL crossover. If so, do yourself a favor and look into the ALK. A much more "elligant" solution to "tameing" the K400.

You are correct that the K400 is UNFORGIVING to electronic sounds. I also would upgrade your receiver to something nicer.

As for the original dampening question, I only dampen my K400's. No tweeters or K700s are dampened in my setup. I used plumbers putty, Did my Khorns over 10 years ago, the putty is still plyable.

JM

Just as a side note, if you have added resistance ( via the drier sheets ), then you are changing the air load on the diaphragm. You probably won't hurt things, but if the output in the midrange is too much, than you could also try another tap on the autoformer to tame things down some.

• 3 weeks later...

----------------

On 7/30/2003 8:30:41 AM clspruiell wrote:

Thanks for your feedback. I would like to be more educated about the autoformers. I have no idea what they are or how to replace them. I would appreciate it if someone would clearly let me know what to do and what differences i could expect. Thanks guys----------------

The autoformer attenuates the midrange horn. Without it, the midrange would be too loud and the system would sound like it has no bass output.

Klipsch's design philosophy was simple, the louder the better. The manifestation of this philosophy was to find the absolute cheapest high efficiency drivers and use the network to fix all the ills inherent in them. It was a philosphy that worked exceedingly well during the early days of *HiFi*.

I've come to the conclusion that Klipsch had blown out his hearing with his early work with dynamite and explosives while stationed at the Southwest Proving Grounds. The obsession with rifles and hand guns didn't help either. I'm sure he thought earplugs were for *********.

Here is a picture of a rope caulked squaker:

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/files/rope.jpg

I bought the caulking, Frost King Fingertip Rope Caulk, at Lowes. It is eight of those lines wide and just under $5 a box. I used just under five boxes to do the squakers and tweeters.

I too auditioned one treated and one untreated squaker. There is a noticable improvement in "blare" on a Chicago CD. A very inexpencive updrade.

I read somewhere, in a link here, that felt applied to the mouth of the squaker horn cuts down the distortion in the horn. Any truth to that?

Rick

LOL

Maron you must be as old as I !

I heard that one in grade school .....errrrum not very recently. I forget what the outcome of a protest by a contestant regarding another contestant's use of a decorative fringe which was as I recall described as unfair as it would likely increase the impactof that contestant's efforts. If I recall correctly was the record not a play by play of the International Decrepitation Competition ?

Maron

I once took a philosophy course and the prof had a habit of writing a quotation from a different philosopher in the upper left corner of the blackboard before each class. As the year wore on the quotes became more obscure and esoteric. One day I slipped in before class and erased a quote from Goethe or some such and substituted - It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - Foo Ling 812 BCE.

As luck would have it I was delayed getting to class and when I arrived he glared at me and said "Please take your seat Mr. Marshall and pointedly ignored my efforts to respond to his comments or questions during the class. I also noticed that none of my classmates seemed to want anything to do with me. At the end of the class he glared at me and said - Report to my office at 2:00 p.m.

Suffice it to say that was a very long morning. When I arrived at his office his secretary told me to take a seat and after buzzing him on the intercom said to me - " I don't know what you did but he has been in a foul mood all day - I do know that he was on to the Dean for about 20 minutes and I heard your name a couple of times because he was shouting. I think he wants you removed from his class !"

Finally after I cooled my heels until about 2:15 he buzzed her and asked her to send me in. He regarded me cooly and told me to sit down. He then reached behind some books in his bookcase and produced two glasses and a bottle of very fine scotch whiskey. He grinned and poured a generous drink for each of us and toasted me saying that is the funniest shot a student has ever taken at me - You bugger !

It turned out of course that my classmates and his secretary were all in on the gag and all had played their role to perfection. My joke had cost me a considerable amount of sweat but also introduced me to a Scotch that I still enjoy 35 years later.

9.gif

Lynn,

What a great story! LOL! It's 2 AM and I'm laughing like a loon at the Farting Contest, too!

At to the autoformer question, the image below is of a Heresy Type E crossover. The autoformer, aka transformer, reduces the voltage applied to the midrange and tweeter. The red lines show a mod to reduce the output further so that the 107 dB squawker and the 105 dB tweeter are more in line with the 95 dB woofer than Klipsch originally intended. This mod was intended for an easy test to see it they would then sound more like my La Scalas. They do. Each tap on the automormer is a 3 dB step.

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/files/TypeEExpr2.jpg