MX-110 Arrived Today

garymd

My Mac MX-110 arrived today in a box big enough to fit a cornwall! After sweating through my suit in the garage at work I finally got to the unit after about 10 minutes of digging and spilling about a million styrofoam peanuts.

At first glance all I noticed was that some of the lettering on the front was a tad faded and I was a little worried.

Finally I got to take off all the bubble wrap at the shop where it's getting checked out and aligned. Turns out the pictures on ebay didn't do this unit justice. It had 2 slightly faded letters on the front ("stereo" was just a touch faded along with one of the symbols - maybe on the balance knob). Other than that it is absolutely gorgeous! You can see yourself in the chrome. The lettering for the most part is new looking and perfect. Panlocs in place, tubes wrapped seperately and seem to be original. Stunning is all I can say. The glass faceplate is perfect. Now I just hope it tests as good as it looks. Looks like Yuri from Brooklyn really came through for me on this one. I get it back Friday latest and I'll of course let everyone know how she's doing.

Oh my, we're becoming quite the McIntosh fanatic now, I see. You can't have enough of 'em, I say! Ya gotta post some pictures when you get it home from the shop...I can hardly wait to see it! I'm droolin' on myself I'm so excited (and I won't even hear it...go figure).

I'm really happy for you, man!3.gif

----------------

On 7/21/2003 7:26:23 PM jt1stcav wrote:

Oh my, we're becoming quite the McIntosh fanatic now, I see. You can't have enough of 'em, I say! Ya gotta post some pictures when you get it home from the shop...I can hardly wait to see it! I'm droolin' on myself I'm so excited (and I won't even hear it...go figure).

I'm really happy for you, man!
3.gif

----------------

Jim,

Anytime you want to take a 15+ hour drive you are more than welcome to come help me enjoy my new toys.9.gif

Just got word that the 110 is in about as good working condition as it is cosmetically. There are 2 problems: 1) the stereo indicator light doesn't come on and 2) the tuning eye works for about a minute then stops - I may have to hunt down a 6HU6 tube for the tuning eye. Other than that, coming from a tech that is very skeptical when it comes to anything that old (other than macs) says that this is one of the finest tube tuners he's seen in a loooong time. Also, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the C-22 pre. Tubes look to be mullards (plus whatever else came stock) and all tested great. The tuning eye issue isn't a big deal since I don't listen to much radio and what I do has very strong signals anyway. He said an amplified antenae would help if the tuning eye issue was a problem for me.

He said he was shocked to pull it off the shelf and see such a pristine looking old Mac 110.9.gif

Unfortunately I have a wedding to go to this weekend so I don't know if I'll have time to play. 7.gif

----------------

On 7/24/2003 2:04:47 PM DeanG wrote:

"Unfortunately I have a wedding to go to this weekend so I don't know if I'll have time to play."

Getting married is always such an inconvenience.
9.gif

----------------

Yes it is. Especially when it's a nephew on my wife's side of the family and it keeps me from playing with my new toys!

gary: Congratulations and I'm glad Yuri came through. Me, I figured it would either be a pristine Mac tuner as described, or a surplus, unexploded land mine from Chechnya. With Yuri being from Brooklyn, it could have been either. Glad it was the former.

Uh, the MX-110 preamp is NOT a C-22. Similar in many ways, but BELIEVE me there are HUGE differences in both the circuits and the sound. (The MX-110 preamp actually has more in common with the C-11.) I have owned and enjoyed both units over the years. The phono section of the MX110 doesn't come close to the C-22 (but very few preamps do in my opinion!). Enjoy the MX-110 for what it is (the best value in vintage tube gear going!), but don't assume you've got a C-22!!

----------------

On 7/24/2003 5:19:22 PM bclarke421 wrote:

gary-

Believe it or don't, I think I've got a 6hu6 laying around here somewhere. I will look for it. Email me if you're still in need.

Ben

----------------

Ben,

Thanks for the offer. I'll see when I get it up and running if it's an issue. Probably will be at some point.

Alan,

I'm sure you're right but I was told by a number of people (my tech that worked on it today, Audio Classics, Mcintosh techs) that it is the C-22. Oh well, whatever it is if I like the sound I'm happy. Plus it's sweet looking which should help with WAF.

Gary,

I also have a MX-110 which I use when the Wrights are nor playing. A bit earlier this year I recorded an opera direct from the MET. Now I more or less forgot about it and only auditioned it today through the MX-110/8B combo. I must say the sound was awsome. I mean it felt as though I was almost there in the building on that day. Not only can you hear the singers moving across the stage, no, you also get quite a good differentiation between stage and orchestra pit. All in all quite an experienc. And even as a preamp it sounds really very good with the right power amp. I am sure you'll enjoy it.

Wolfram

----------------

On 7/26/2003 5:35:29 PM dubai2000 wrote:

Gary,

I also have a MX-110 which I use when the Wrights are nor playing. A bit earlier this year I recorded an opera direct from the MET. Now I more or less forgot about it and only auditioned it today through the MX-110/8B combo. I must say the sound was awsome. I mean it felt as though I was almost there in the building on that day. Not only can you hear the singers moving across the stage, no, you also get quite a good differentiation between stage and orchestra pit. All in all quite an experienc. And even as a preamp it sounds really very good with the right power amp. I am sure you'll enjoy it.

Wolfram

----------------

Wolfram,

Thanks. I'm looking forward to it. Hoping to have time tomorrow to hook it up. The 240 by itself just doesn't have the detail I expected. I'm hoping that adding the 110 will make a big difference. Of course you all will be the first to know what I think.

Gary,

mhhhh...what is it you miss with the 240? A friend of mine has got a 240 too. A few weeks ago we listened to it through La Scalas and compared it to the Marantz 8B. Though it has a different sound to the 8B, I wouldn't say it lacked detail. Are you sure all parts/tubes are of the correct value and functioning properly - after all how quickly does one insert tubes in the wrong socket etc.? Just a thought. Good luck with those Mc amps.

Wolfram

Craig was kind enough to check the 240 out for me when I got it to make sure all was up to spec. To be fair, however, I have only listened to it through the heresys in the basement so it's really not a fair assessment yet. I probably should have held out on that statement until it was tested with the cornwalls in a better acoustical environment. I can say however that the heresys have crisper highs with the kenwood kr-9600 SS than the 240 in the same room although the bass seems richer with the 240.

I have had a couple very busy weeks and weekends so it is still waiting. I can't give you an educated reply to that question yet but if it's clean and all the lettering is there, $600 is a good price since you know it's up to spec. You can always resell if you don't like it and you probably won't lose any money on the deal. Let us know what you decide. It would be nice to have someone else to compare notes with.