Expensive power cords

You all:

For those that may have invested in rather high-dollar power cords, please don't take anything I have said (see the post on the recent Chorus/Cornwall comparison)as being anything more than my own mild frustration with companies selling AC cables as if they were made out of gold. It's just an opinion, nothing more...

I have just made my own for so long, that I am constantly amazed by some of the sticker prices on speaker cable, interconnect, and above all...AC power cords. It's just crazy to me. My hearing is getting kinda bad, anyway, so what do I know!

Erik

*Home Depot is one of my favorite places for power cords, and you can make one in 15 minutes for a few dollars. One of the best interconnects I ever used was made from a piece of great coax I found at a building site: All copper braid, soft copper center conductor, foamed PE center conductor insulation. It measured 13pfd/foot on a Heathkit capacitance tester, which is quite low. It worked perfectly, but I admit it was nothing special to look at since it didn't have 3 layers of shrink wrap and expandable sleeving.

I make all my own speaker cables and power cables. When i get an old peice of equipment (that i bought, not something i borrow mind you) I like to replace the power cable at the least, they are always so thin and easily shorted.

I use computer power cables, they are heavily insulated and can handle a lot of power, and are cheap.

For speaker cables I will buy something like AcousticResearch or MonsterCable and insulate them myself with heat shrink and this cable wrap my dad uses on his cables in his studio to prevent cross talk. I also put RFI clips on the ends which really reduced the radio station pickup we had at our old house.

Have you seen the new speaker cables with the AA Batter on the end???

Now come on guys. You're going to ruin my plans for introducing a new BIG$$$$$$$$$ speaker cable & interconnect using nanotechnology to get the molecules precisely aligned edge to edge to improve efficiency & soundstage detail beyond your wildest dreams. No 3 week 'break-in' required either. That alone should make them worth the price!

9.gif

I found an interesting book on DIY molecule alignment -- a little tedious, but quite possible with good light and a fine pair of tweezers.

(I'm obviously tired....)

Mike: My amp project should be done tomorrow. At least building will be complete. I had to do some relocating of parts to make room for a very large Solen capacitor, which was not in the original plan...more about that soon, though. I'm going to re-trace my wiring; take some resistance and voltage tests; and then (hopefully play some music. The chassis had to be completely taken apart in order to relocate filter chokes and dual 100mfd filter capacitor, so a little polishing up is needed, too.

Erik

----------------

On 7/23/2003 9:56:27 AM Sayles wrote:

I also have a problem with picking up a local radio station through speakers.

----------------

To improve the pickup of local radio stations...

Coil speaker cables, preferrably around a metal rod.

To reduce the pickup of local radio stations...

Keep cables as short as possible (ASAP) and keep them from coiling. Placing super cheap RFI clips on the ends greatly reduces RFI and this is easy and cheap. RadioShack and PartsExpress.com both sell these.

Erik:

What part of Whoston are you in? I get down that way from time to time going to Galveston and visiting friends in the Clear Lake (Eldorado exit) area.

To be sort of on thread, I've always wondered why power freaks don't use large UPS's to run their systems. Just unplug it and you'd be getting pure battery power. Is it the inverter or what?

Personally, I don't really care about such things. I drink tap water...

Dave