299c questions

Hi all,

I received Dee's 299c tonight from Arkansas and spent some time unpacking it and setting up the tubes. I got a little bit excxited to see all Telefunkens for the pre stage, a new Sovteck for the rectifier, and all original Scotts for the 7591s. Dee, thanks for the great packing job!

Boy oh boy!

My questions involve the terminals and speaker loads. The screw terminals are high, 0, 4, 8, and 16 (ohms, obviously.) For hooking up just the khorns, and then hooking up both the khorns and belles, ground would be 0 and then use either 4 or 8, or 8 and 16, respectively, to run one or two sets of speakers?

Like Craig, I like to shake a lot of dust off the ceiling when the little one is not sleeping.

Wish we were in the new house all the time, so I could listen to the khorns and 299c/soon Quicksilvers without having to hop in the car and drive ten minutes7.gif Thanks for your help1.gif

Dave-

Congrats on a fine choice. I'd recommend the Electroharmonix 7591A to replace those power tubes if (when) you decide to. To answer your question, most people prefer the 8 ohm tap. Also, many people prefer to bypass the phase switch in this manner (copied from another post):

Instead of using the "H" and "O" speaker screws, connect your negative speaker lead to the "O" , and your positive speaker lead to the impedance screw (4, 8, 16 ohm) that most closely matches the impedance of your speaker. By doing this, you bypass the phase switch, and your speakers are directly connected to the output transformer secondary.

Post back with your impressions!! (BTW paypaul is a good ebay seller for those 7591A's)

I just reread your question. I believe both sets of speakers present a nominal 8 ohm load. If you're connecting both, I think you would want to hook them both up to the 4 ohm tap. Experiment, but listen and watch (and sniff) for signs of trouble.

The phase switch is completely wired out of the circuit on this amp. Using the method DaveS suggests works but still allows the Negative connection to run thru the switch and adds 2 foot of wire. I always wire the switch completely out of the circuit.

Craig

Craig,

even though you don't know it, you are getting further behind as we speak. I have to send you the 299c and an LK-72 that I just bought. I also have to find a good preamp for Dean's Quicksilvers for under $600. Please keep your eyes open if you can.

This fatherhood thing, trying to get two houses up to spec, and trying to get my wife's handicapped sister into a group home before we move on August 9 is keeping me up past 11 pm every night. Unfortunately, it leaves little time for playthings, which includes getting the amp(s) up to you in any reasonable fashion. I will email you the day they are outta here, and there won't be a huge rush on them. I have two friends that want to duplicate my setup already, so more business will be coming your way!

Dave,

Hold steadfast on the preamp front Dean and I are both researching and trying some new stuff and will report back in the next few weeks. Both choices were looking at are in the $300 to $500 range and from all the specs and words from previous users they are great performers !

Craig

Dave,

Glad you got the 299c in good order. Yep, those tubes do look good don't they. I have to say I was so curious about the EH7591A'a I almost ordered a quad just to check them out before passing on the amp.

I've found Craig's one of a kind illustrated biasing instructions (for dummies) and have put them in an envelope to mail. Now if I can just find that envelope.7.gif

On a preamp. I was just looking at www.avahifi.com and their used page has just been updated. He's got a Super Pas 3i Vacuum Tube Preamp ($495) which is a Dynaco PAS3 rebuilt with Van Alstine's design and new faceplate etc. His stuff, of course, has an excellent rep, but don't know if it would be a good complement to the Quicksilvers. I haven't heard the unmodified PAS3 or PAS4, but one guy I was talking to thought they were o.k. but unremarkable. Probably not a good choice except as a platform a rebuild. Someone on the forum has talked about being very pleased with a Van Alstine Transcendence 7 preamp. It would be worth checking out the web site to see if the Super Pas3i is close enough kin to the Transcendence as to be attractive.

Dave, what are you doing in your spare time? Moving, being Dad, getting your sister in law settled, and a day job too? Not to mention being married. You have got a some pretty big rocks there and they are all things that require significant and enduring energy to do well. Best wishes as you get those things lined out in good order. Glad you have some audio adventures to have fun with when you have a chance to come up for air.

Regards,

Dee