B&W Nautilus 802

arthurs

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

arthurs, congrats, i know you are happy now, i just wished i could afford your amp, im drooling, but have to behave, and about the naysayers, dont sweat that either, i remember awhile back 1 of them was almost yelling at us because he was so convinced that the b&w line was so superior to klipsch, really rude, just like he is being now, i believe at this time he was arguing with justin, and we all know, that justin is a real sweet heart, glad to hear you are happy, and if you need someone to store your amp for you i can give you my address12.gif

arthurs,

A Krell 9.gif Yeah a Krell is a Krell and anything less is just inferior sub gear. 1.gif

When I first saw the smallest power Krell power amp the KSA50 I said...wow this muct be a 200W/PC amp and it was only rated at 50W/PC!Then came the KSA200 a 140lbs monster rated low but capable of doubling its output down to 2 Ohms!

Krell amps are so damn over built its scary.Unlike the ME TOO competition,also when you taste a Krell HT you NEVER EEEEVER WANT to hear any puny receiver.9.gif

The KSA line was a real gem in the Krell lineage,from the KSA50 to the monster KSA300,pure Krell.

got your pm arthurs, i know what you are talking about when you say the b&w's can make a person weep, my son and i listened to them at listen up here in denver, they were the 800's and they were hooked up to a krell amp and cd player, models unknown, the interconnects were about 30 a foot, also make unknown, but the salesman fired them up, and i thought he had a 5.1 going, he had diana krall on and it was amayzing, it is really hard to describe the event, and i say event, because even my son remembers the audition, it was the single most beautiful audition i have ever heard, it was just that, beautiful. the speakers pulled emotion out of you, than he took me to another b&w showroom, in this room he had a set of 802 set up with mark levinson gear, and an meridian sub, the sub was enourmous, maybe 3+5+3, it was thier ht room, i was not as impressed with this sound, i think because the sub was just too big, i thought the walls would buckle, it did take away from the b&w speaks, but my dear lord the krell/b&w combination is the best i have ever, ever heard, i can only say i am green with envy, and i know you are really enjoying the new experience, it would be very hard for me to go to work, i would probably get fired12.gif

----------------

On 9/1/2003 9:33:03 AM marksdad wrote:

does the krell get vey hot? this is the only thing i dont like about my b&k, is the heat it generates
12.gif

----------------

It gets hot for sure, hotter than my B&K ever did, but as you can see in the pic, I'm giving it plenty of space to breathe, and at the end of a long day/evening of listening I can heat up a nice grilled cheese sandwich on it...11.gif

Hello Arthurs,

I dont think we have conversed before on this forum - I tend to hang out in the 2 channel area and only post ocasionally these days - even there.

Interesting to see your choice of the 802. That is the speaker that made me weep...

Its a long story but to be as brief as possible I just built a pair of speakers for myself with a friend acting as guru / advisor. We were all puffed up with ourselves and congratulatory once we got them running as they really do sound good. In fact I would say they sound measurably better than my Heresy speakers they have displaced.

Anyway we were at a local supplier who had just taken delivery of the 802's and Tony (aforementioned friend) wanted to hear them. Now we have both heard B&W's countless times before and neither of us have ever been that impressed. We were both sure that this time would be no different, expecially as the 802s were in a tiny room with a very mediocre Classe integrated 100 wpc amp, a Toshiba DVD player acting as CD source and some run of hte mill cabling.

To our astonishment and horror they sounded simply sublime, and I mean really really good with just about everything we through at it.

Depressed the hell out of me. Still that price is a bit on the steep side. Makes Tony's Quad 989's look like a bargain.

Of course he has now sold those and keeps talking about buying B&W...or was that BMW - price was the same I think...

arthurs,

In the winter I heat my both audio rooms with power amps. 9.gif

A glorious High End heat

I almost purchased the Krell TAS you have,opted for multiple Celeste MOON amps for HT.Do not run as hot as Krell amps but sound as good.

One thing the Krell TAS has is the JeffRowland looks,and you know JeffRowland power amps are gorgeous and built even better than Krell!

In actuality basic Krell prices are down to earth when you look at Jeff Rowland.

You only start to pay heavy when you raech the FPB series.But damn O damn do you get an amp 9.gif

Oh, I suppose there are "no cone colorations" "no crossover colorations" "no box colorations". The perfect speaker has been made and now we shall all flock to it. Please pass me my second mortgage!14.gif3.gif12.gif IT is just an opinion and hopefully we can all agree to just not agree. I love my heritage with home brewed tube amps and can't get enough of their raw in your face presence which I can't find in a box. You are different, more power to you. HEE HEE, Krell loves power, CG&E loves Krell, is there some kind of commie plot here? The republicans are out to get us!AAGGRRGGHH. Too much lager,, out but not forgotten, goodnight.

I find it interesting that some people seem to have a problem with those who like more than one make of speaker.

There seems to be an unwritten rule that if you like the Klipsch sound then it is impossible to like any other sound - especially a sound like B&W's which, I suppose is almost the opposite end of the sonic spectrum from Klipsch.

For me it is not about finding the perfect speaker - that doesnt exist this side of $100,000 (Eggleston Ivy I believe) - in all probability. Its about finding a speaker that disappears as far as possible and gets you closer to the music. For me sometimes Klipsch does it, other times B&W does it and ocasionally neither does. Neither speaker is perfect, neither right or wrong. Each plays with its own flavour/colour what have you and if that imparts the magic of the music then it has done its job.