SET amps for sale

Hi guys,

Just to let you know that my actual SET amp is for sale for the price of parts to finance my next PP2A3 project. I must admit that I am mucho sad to sell these but the price tag of my PP2A3 just keeps adding up and I have no choice to let these monoblocks go so this project can materialize.

The picture shows these amps with 300B version but I can convert it to a 2A3 amp for no additional cost. I personally prefer the sound of a 2A3 over the sound of a 300B but other might disagree. No matter what tube you want, if you have to pump out SteppenWolf's "Born to be Wild" at 117 dB from your Klipsches you might look elsewhere!

These particular monoblocks come loaded with goodies, a partial list being:

MagneQuest cobalt TFA-2004 parafeed OPT

MagneQuest EXO-04 plate choke

MagneQuest BCP 16 Ni Gc grid choke

Jensen copper in foil coupling cap

Cerafines in the PSU

Black Gates NH serie (non-polarized) as cathode bypass

Elna stepped attenuators

GE oil DC blocking cap in the parafeed circuit

WBT binding posts

Cardas RCA jack

Zebrawood chassis

Copper top chassis plate

Silver plated teflon insulated hook-up wire

Riken and Mills resistors

Contact me for additional details at:

jeff.lessard(remove this)@sympatico.ca

EDITION... The attachment disapeared again!!!!! to see the photo check a couple of posts below!

Thanks

post-11019-13819248701208_thumb.jpg

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 8/3/2003 5:01:06 PM DeanG wrote:

95 db with 110 peaks is plenty sufficient. Can they do that without chicken-boning?

They sure are beautiful. If you would have listed these last week I might have given them a whirl.

----------------

You should ask that question to Chris and Ed as they have more K-Horn. I have inefficient speakers at 100 dB! But I think the 300B could handle the job pretty well. But I personally much prefer the sound in it's lower power 2A3 version.

I'd never sell to you Dean, you have PP tatooed on your heart 1.gif

I can say that the Horus 2A3 amps are the best I have heard, they have surpassed my expectations. I have not heard the 300B version, but they will obviously have a bit more power/punch than the 2A3 version.

I don't know how much Jeff is asking for these amps but if you are even thinking about SET monoblocks send him an email! Jeff is as honest as the day is long and a great amp designer and builder.

I certainly echo Edster's comments. These amps are amazing creatures, beautifully spec'ed out and gorgeously built. The music coming out of my Klipschorns makes the fur on my arms stand up.

Nothing spared in the pursuit of sonic perfection.

If you've got the spare jing, you will not find a better builder. By the way, these have the bigger cobalt OPT's, which are no longer available (nor are the smaller ones).

----------------

On 8/3/2003 7:06:26 PM greg928s4 wrote:

Chris, are these the same amps as yours?

Greg

----------------

Not quite ... the OPT is a bit better (which is a good thing) and they're 300B ... but he could easily switch them over to 2A3 if that's your ticket (and it applies to most of us). The rest is fairly similar (Jeff, correct me if I'm wrong).

Very swell gear.

----------------

95 db with 110 peaks is plenty sufficient. Can they do that without chicken-boning?

----------------

I'm not sure what "chicken-boning" is but there are serious balls behind this sound ... and they have enough power to melt my ear drums. Then again, I rarely push it past 100db ... 85 is my sweet spot.

Klipschorns and cobalt parafeed SET is about as good a combo as I could imagine. If PWK were alive today, I'd be inclined to ask him what he thought about it. I'm sure he'd want to give them a listen.

----------------

Not quite ... the OPT is a bit better (which is a good thing) and they're 300B ... but he could easily switch them over to 2A3 if that's your ticket (and it applies to most of us). The rest is fairly similar (Jeff, correct me if I'm wrong).

Very swell gear.

----------------

It's not the same design as the Horus. The Horus is a three stage design while this is a two stage using a 6N1P. Anyone interested in the Horus will have to build it themselves or ask Erik Mandaville to build one for them.

I was just ribbing Jeff a little.

If one drops a pass, strikes out, fails to double out, or anything of that nature when the game is on the line -- it is common for a team-mate to harass you by saying you got a "chicken-bone". In other words -- you choked.

----------------

On 8/3/2003 7:54:14 PM DeanG wrote:

If one drops a pass, strikes out, fails to double out, or anything of that nature when the game is on the line -- it is common for a team-mate to harass you by saying you got a "chicken-bone". In other words -- you choked.

----------------

If these amps were playing hockey, they'd make Gretzky, Lemieux, Hull etc. looks like pee-wee players...

Only the great Maurice "Rocket" Richard would compete. Quite normal he played in Quebec City too...

9.gif

On a more serious note, these amps could be described as "fast". Thanks the the cobalt OPTs and the grid choke. These two gizmos are the key for the transient handling which is on a par with an OTL amp.

I wanted to bring this thread back to the top and let everyone know that unfortunately, I won't be able to buy these amplifiers right now. Bad timing, slow economy, business is not doing well, and I've been buying too da*n much equipment this year!

I hope someone on the forum is in a position to buy these, I think they would get a wonderful pair of amps at a relatively reasonable price.

Greg

8.gif

Greg, sorry to hear that (business, et al.) ... I deal with the same thing just about every day ... I hear people in every industry talking about this. This hasn't been a recession, it's been a DEPRESSION.

Someone with a little disposable income should grab these amps. You couldn't buy them used for less than $8K ... Ed, Tony and I will chime in that Jeff's work is SUPERIOR.

(Not a paid endorsement)

Erik, I sense slumping shoulders.

I won't edit my last post but what I was "inferring" was that with amps of this caliber (like yours), should one decide to buy "brand names" like Tenor, et al., one was destined to pay hideously marked-up prices.

These are a good deal for what one is getting, woodwork and all.

Sorry if I misled. I typed too fast while enjoying the evening's first cocktail.

Pax vobiscum.

Are they still out there? I'm tempted to take out a loan.

Jeff, you should pull the ad and let me write it. I think Chris is right.

If you would have put them out there for $6700 -- they would have sold in less than three days.

$3300? What the hell is wrong with those things? Selling for the price of parts only? Man, he really wants to unload those things! They must be some real "hummers".

I am glad this thread was resurrected, someone here really needs to jump on these amps! I know how intimidating it can be to invest this much cash into something you haven't had a chance to listen to, but I'll also never regret my "leap of faith" purchasing my pair of Horus!

While I haven't heard these particular 300B versions I can say that my 2A3s can sustain 95 dB's driving K-horns without breaking a sweat. I need to hook up my Cornwalls and see how the Horus fare with them...maybe I'll do it this weekend!