SET amps for sale

The Wright 2A3s are a tremendous value, and as Kelly has mentioned many times in the past, you can sell them for almost what you paid for them at a future time. They hold there value well.

Kelly. Nice to see you back and are well. Did you get a new Hobie Cat ?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff's SET monoblocks (in 2A3 form)will soon reside ninety miles from Hope,pushing Khorns,as I am certain they were destined to do.Thanks to all of the "exemplary jazz recordings" suggestions,I think the tunes will do them justice,too.Two weeks is a long wait-Thankfully,I have the Craig/Scott 299A to sooth me when I get ansy.

SSH1.gif

ssh,

- Congrats on the amps.

Wise move going to the 2A3 tube! I would have done the same thing. I contemplated buying them for about 5 minutes, but since I just got my Moondogs in April, I didn't really 'need' them. Going to the 2A3 tube was definitely a move up from the 300B. Most of the amp builders (like Jeff) say the same thing.

Enjoy!

Having SET and a good PP is the best of both worlds.

Erik,

Get one of those fluted stepped drill bits for drilling chassis holes.

They are pricey, but would beat a dull punch and probably pay for itself, if you plan on following through with building amplifiers for folks.

----------------

On 8/8/2003 11:53:58 AM painful reality wrote:

Maybe my opinion would change if I'd plug in these 300B Mesh from TJ, Sophia

Electric,Full Music, etc... Of course I refer to the 5V 300B, not this 2.5V 300B that are used in 2A3 amps under 2A3 operating point! (I still don't understand why the heck they do call this a 300B)

--------------------------

Jeff, would you mind saying more about this. I didn't really follow. Are the Sophia Electric 300B or TJ good candidates to use in a 2A3 amp in place of the 2A3 tube?

Thanks and regards,

Dee

----------------

Chris,

hallo und guten Abend. The amps I was referring to are Win's MC-30. Those were the Macs I had originally set my eyes on but somehow this deal (and a second chance) fell through. I got the MC-225 instead and good as that amp is, I have always wanted to try the 30s in my own set up. So when Win offered his we managed to work out the details. I think that this will actually be my final amp acquisition (though I should probably refrain from saying so (LOL)) - so let's say for the time being2.gif

Hope you are enjoying the Horus - I certainly do so when it comes to the Wrights. If you really manage to come to Germany you might judge them in combination with the Wright preamp for yourself. It would certainly be nice meeting you 'in the flesh'.

Wolfram

Big thanks to Steve for buying these amps.

So it looks they'll be off to South Arkansas. They'll never see Quebec winters.

Thanks to all those who showed interest and inquired about them.

Thanks to Chris, Ed, Dale and Tony for their vote of confidence.

Endless thanks to Kelly for exposing my work here. Needless to say I owe him big time.

Well, Jeff, it was a long and twisted journey following a strange path, much like an Existentialism course in German with English subtitles. I dont even think the French could make something like that up. I am glad more than a few seem to be happy with the gear.

Chris, you are always too kind. I plan on heading to NYC this fall and might wander on up. I'll be traveling light...

Next time, we'll all head out in the Beneteau. Tim, good to hear from you - I ended up getting a Beneteau First 235 last April. Dont ask why it is sitting in my friend's back yard.

kh

Cut-Throat,

I took a long line of advice,including Jeff's to decide on the 2A3.(Dean-I really do understand,but I'm wasting watts all over the place already.)

Craig,

And this,from you who helped me see the bright side of the dark side.Can you say "Horus" without chicken-boning?

Guy,

Merely a reprieve.

Chris,

I felt that way with a truly fine PP from Craig.

boomac,

You once asked me what one needs,to hear the plop of a saxaphone pad.I'm looking to feel the fuzz of the felt with these.

It's the Klipsch that brings out the best,ladies & gents.We really are a lucky group of people.Here's to PWK, and no BS!

Chris,

that's exactly what I am hoping. The MC-225 is surely a fine amp, but when a Marantz 8B crossed my threshold it was no real contest. So when Win offered his amps I thought I'd be very foolish not to see if I won't be able to pick those up and part with the MC-225 (especially after having read Allan's praise of those amps again and again). Well, hopefully in a not too distant future I shall be able to judge for myself1.gif

Wolfram

----------------

On 8/9/2003 9:12:32 PM mobile homeless wrote:

Well, Jeff, it was a long and twisted journey following a strange path, much like an Existentialism course in German with English subtitles.

kh

----------------

See what I mean?

You can't make this stuff up ... It's naturally-occuring in nature only once in a great while :)

Kelly, welcome mat is out if you're in the 'hood. Don't know when you're planning on heading to NYC, but sometime in the first half of October brings pretty good "leaf peeping".

A trip to Boston is also fun for three reasons:

(1) The Italian restaurants in the North End;

(2) Watching the end of the "Big Dig"

(3) Quacking it up on a Duck Tour (campy, yes, but fun nevertheless).

----------------

On 8/9/2003 9:46:50 PM ssh wrote:

I took a long line of advice,including Jeff's to decide on the 2A3.(Dean-I really do understand,but I'm wasting watts all over the place already.)

----------------

Jeff had also promoted the AVVT 2A3 (albeit lightly since they are fairly dear) so I gave them a shot. Pretty darned impressive.

If you decide to try these, I'd suggest Jac @ Jac Music in Germany. He has a NOS inventory of carefully selected and tested pairs. He also has a 5-day money back guarantee. Wolfram is also using them. He might chime in here on these as well.

Apparently, Alesa Vaic sold everything he made rather than testing for the best (yield losses), so some bummer tubes wound up in the field and gave AVVT an "inconsistent quality" rap. Jac is no longer associated with Alesa from the sales side for this reason, but he did buy up the remaining AVVT 2A3 inventory and filtered out the good ones himself.

Great sounding tube if the rest of the chain is up to snuff.