SET amps for sale

Kelly-

Welcome back to the forum. While we haven't met, you gave me some great advice when I was purchasing Pat's Rega P2 TT. I live about 90 min NE of NYC, in western CT, so if you are in the area, let me know. By then I hope to have the Rega hooked up to my Scott 299B and running to the K-horns. Not sure if I will have false corners built by then, as we are getting busy doing things for the pending baby arrival in Dec. But you are more than welcome for a visit.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris is right about Jac and the AVVT tubes. I had already bought two different pairs of 300B tubes from him and when one tube developed some fault, he had it fixed for free. The 2A3's ARE costly and there is no question that one can use alternatives with excellent results (!) (Chris' amps came with RCA's and I also have some Sylvanias which I decided to get for rainy days....), but the AVVT's seem to move the soundstage a bit closer (which I like) and the bass seems to be more detailed and even a bit deeper. So if you plan to get even more out of your SET amps, consider Jac's tubes.

Wolfram

SSH-

Congrats on your purchase! I know you are going to really enjoy Jeff's amps.

Welcome back Kelly, great to see you posting again!

I really need to give the AVVT tubes another try...the last pair I had did have a hum problem due to the efficiency of the K-horns. The person I sold them to just loves them.

Chris,

I've almost ordered a pr of RCA biplates,but thought someone here might want to roll out a pr.I'm a little anxious,though.It would be much easier to look at tubes before I get the amps, than to have to drool over the amps without tubes.

SSH

SHH,

Specifics at this point I can not give you, as I did'nt take notes. If you check the two channel archives for Paramours I think you'll find more specific findings.

I can tell you between the RCA 2A3, Valve Art, Sovtek, to my ears I preferred the Valve Arts over the Sovteks in musicality. The RCA had about the same Musicality as the Valve Arts, but better bass response. The Sovteks seemed thin and dry to me. Others rave about the Sovteks, I did'nt hear it in my system. You be the judge.

Tom1.gif1.gif

The only thing I might add to this thread at this point is that I believe the Sovtek need a good amount of time to fully break in and come into their own (200 hours in some cases), although some experience this sooner than others. I dont know of a better deal out there tube-wise, however, this coming from someone that has never been a fan of Sovtek tubes in general.

The Sovtek 2A3 is a true workhorse and better than a host of others I have tried, especially considering the ducats, this including the KR-2A3 (which does some things very well but loses in the soul department), and the much hyped Full-Music Meshplate 300B/2.5v, which I felt was bettered in many ways, although like the KR2A3, did have some positives, including a very lush presentation, perhaps lacking the focus and continuity of the Sovtek.

My favorite remains the JAN CRC VT95 2A3 Black Plates, this tube revealing a more sublime presentation than any of the modern offerings I have tried, no matter what the price. Of course, there are many different RCA 2A3 tubes and all are not created equal. I think the RCA were the magic tube for the Wright Sound amplifiers, especially.

But I find Toms experience with the Sovteks via his Paramours to be rather unique; indeed, the Sovteks in my view sound pretty big boned to me, perhaps the antithesis of thin and dry, leading me to believe they might not have been broken in or werent a synergistic match in his system.

Is the Sovtek my favorite 2A3? No. But in my view, it is the way to go for the price. I have had a pair since I bought my Moondogs, these with countless hours, usually left on ALL the time, for months at a time. They still measure very well. As stated, these tubes are real workhorses with damn good sound for a modern tube and mine have been as reliable as they come. Definitely recommended for a role of some sort.

kh

I'd like to ditto Kellys comments on the Sovtek 2A3s. I got them running in my Wright 2A3 Monoblocks and they are a great tube for the money.

A bit of a different sound then the RCA Blackplace, which I also like. The Sovtek is a bit leaner on the bottom end on my setup, but since my RCAs went bad, I don't miss it one bit.

The Sovteks took about 100 -150 hours to break in and fully bloom, but once they did, it was noticable. I would not hesitate to buy another pair. Considering the cost of NOS 2A3 tubes, these are a real bargin.

- Tim

Yes the Sovteks are a bit leaner in the bottom end. I think that takes away from the musicality of the tube. The Valve Arts have a sonic similarity to the RCA black plates that put them a step ahead of the Sovteks.JMHO.

Wish someone other than I would give some input on this tube. I'm surprised that no one hear has had it in there system, it's ashame you're missing out on a good value.

Tom