need to match center speaker

bsacco

Ideally, a third Cornwall would be a match made in heaven. Unfortunately it usually difficult to accomodate a speaker that size in the center. Another option is the Klipsch Academy but they are rare, highly sought after and command mongo dollars and instill greed in people. A third more feasible option is a Klipsch Heresy from around the same era as your Cornwalls. Keep in mind the center channel is the most important speaker in the HT upon which all other speakers are matched to. Most importantly in the front. A KLF-C7 would not be a good match nor would a KV-4 they are voiced differently. The only other option is to build a custom one using Heritage parts. This topic has been dialogued extensively try doing a "Search" on the BB. Good luck with your quest.

I too had a similar problem/ I have La Scala's as mains but could not fit anotherone as the center. I needed something that would compliment them, not hinder them. I choose the custom route. I built a 3 way center using all Klipsch drivers. If you go to my HT page you will see what I built. If you are interested I have many construction pics I can send you.

Good Luck!

Scooterdog

Bsacco

What are your space requirements.

A lot of us have built our own centers to make a Heritage HT. Just do some searches. In my case, I put the Tweeter, Squawker over the screen and the woofers under my screen.

FYI - The most important part of "voicing" your center is matching your midrange with your mains. If you have the parts, you are 90% there.

A single Heresy would work great with Cornwalls. Would that fit your size requirements?

IMHO - I would not use a C7, or a Academy in between Cornwalls.

JM

----------------

On 8/4/2003 1:49:26 PM bsacco wrote:

I have the components for a cornwall. The problem is the size of the 15" woofer. if I re-sized the speaker what woofer would you use?

----------------

Two 10" woofers have roughly the same cone area (meaning they will move roughly the same amount of air) as one 15" woofer. Furthermore, two 6.5" woofers have roughly the same cone area as one 10" woofer -- so theoretically you could use four 6.5" woofers. All this does not mean you can pick just any old woofer though...

Thanks for all your great ideas.

I do have a WAF acceptance factor to clear...if you know what I mean.

I suppose an academy would be the smallest...forget about finding and paying for one...

I Heresy might work...would it really match the cornwall well? Heresy's sound so whimpy compared to CW's.

If I did decide to go custom with CW horn's how do you build a x-over to match the new sized woofers?

----------------

On 8/7/2003 12:45:38 AM bsacco wrote:

I Heresy might work...would it really match the cornwall well? Heresy's sound so whimpy compared to CW's.

If I did decide to go custom with CW horn's how do you build a x-over to match the new sized woofers?

----------------

As far as whimpy Heresy, they only lack in the bass compared to the CW. Remember that the midrange is the most important part of the center, tweeter is second. woofer third. There is not that much bass in the center, even in concert films.

If you build a crossover there is a lot of help here on this BBS. If you work with obsolete Klipsch parts even Trey Cannon helps if you ask nice.

JM

If you don't want to go DIY, the heresy is as close of a match to Cornwall you'll get apart from a 3rd Cornwall, and it's definitely better than the rare Academy.

You can always set it to "small" as I realise it's bass response is far from that of your mains (note this is also my setup) but there isn't much bass in the centre channel. Most centre channels are very small compared to heresy and my guess is the sound engineer often takes this into account when mixing.

Since you already have Cornwall components, going DIY should be easy and inexpensive... the biggest challenge you have is finding a pair of woofers which will blend in.

Before restoring my second set of heresy, I had considered building a centre using heresy x-over, mid, tweeter, and a pair of Eminence Delta 8 woofers suggested by another member here. They seem to model very close to the K33 when ported but might have required a x-over tweak for the amplitude. I would have kept the x-over point the same as the heresy.

Let us know which route you choose...

Rob

Wow, thanks for all the great suggestions.

I suppose the only reason I would go DIY is for WAF. If I could get the center speaker narrower than a Heresy, then I might do it. But that is alot of work. I think I may just go the Heresy route because of it's ease of implementation. ALso, because of your recommendations on it being the closest match to CW's.

Yes, it makes me ill to see the Academy being priced like it is...the guys at Klipsch have to be smiling... :)