New Klipsch owner - next upgrade?

natan

Well, I'm finally a proud Klipsch owner. I'm a student on a budget, and I finally saved up enough money to buy my first real stereo setup. I spent about $600 total, on an Onkyo TX-8211, pair of RB-35's, and XPHP Monster Cable. The setup sounds great (obviously not compared to the majority of the setups here though) and I'd like to thank you for your help :)

So, what's next? I don't plan on buying a TV in the next 5 years, so HT stuff is not my bag, I only care about stereo music. I'm thinking that the weakest part of my setup right now is my audio source - I'm using an iBook minijack out (my music is ripped at very high bitrates, that's not the bottleneck here) via RCA to the Onkyo.

Over the next 6-12 months I'll save up a few hundred bucks and I figure I'll spend it on one of the following:

- Stands (currently they're on my desk, about 4' or 5' apart)

- More cable to bi-wire

- CD's

- Single-slot cd player

- A low-end subwoofer?

Anyway, I'm interested to hear what you guys would upgrade first. Thanks!

Thanks for all your fast suggestions, I appreciate it.

I don't really want/need to add more speakers, since all the stuff I listen to is stereo.

The receiver I bought has no sub-out, so this could be a problem.. I might have time to still return the receiver to J&R.

The bass end on the RB-35's is decent, definitely better than the RB-3's that I had for about a week. Most of the music I listen to isn't heavily bassy, but I could see how I might benefit from having a sub. Is there really a huge difference in quality between the KW and RW series? Does going cheap make a difference here?

The Denon AVR-1603 for $200 shipped seems like it could be a steal...

Also, any suggestion on stands for the RB-35's?

I am pretty much on the same boat, I'd look into a decent CD player before anything else because MP3's ARE the bottleneck. I have a/b tested MP3's ripped at 320kbps and their original CD's and the differences are there. the dynamic sounds compressed, drums lose their hard punch, strings and trumpets don't have quite the sharpness I am used to on my LOW-END CD changer. I am currently saving up for a decent CD player, and I think you'll appreciate the differences as well. what kind of music do you listen to, it sounds like you are using a computer as the source, so what else do you use them for? don't get me wrong, I could really use a subwoofer but ask yourself what a subwoofer would bring to YOUR setup. if you want to get a klipsch subwoofers, look into the RW series because you don't have a subwoofer preout on your receiver.

EDIT: you posted while I was writing. I think theear is reviewing the RW series soon so I'd watch out for that in the subwoofer section. nobody likes the KW series here.

Correct, I use my computer to play mostly 256k MP3s and 192k AAC's. I don't game. Without having a huge budget on CD's, I do what I can by ripping my friend's CD's...

How can a RW sub work if my amp is only 2 channels?

Are there any single-loading CD players in the $50-$200 that are worth getting? My amp doesn't have digital-in, just RCA. Is there a huge difference of quality between the sub-$100 and $100-$300 range in CD players?

----------------

On 8/10/2003 6:31:10 PM natan wrote:

Correct, I use my computer to play mostly 256k MP3s and 192k AAC's. I don't game. Without having a huge budget on CD's, I do what I can by ripping my friend's CD's...

Are there any single-loading CD players in the $50-$200 that are worth getting? My amp doesn't have digital-in, just RCA. Is there a huge difference of quality between the sub-$100 and $100-$300 range in CD players?

----------------

Just use the main pre-outs to run your sub.

As for qualiy between CD players, I think you'd do just fine with your typical Sony/Pioneer/Yamaha/Denon etc..

See if you can't find a used/refurbished Denon DCM-280. You can find them for a little over $100 on eBay.

----------------

On 8/10/2003 6:31:10 PM natan wrote:

----------------

the RW series subwoofers have the speaker level input/outputs which allows you to connect the speaker cables to the subwoofer, have the subwoofer filter the bass at the chosen crossover, and send out the filtered signal to the speakers. look at the RW series manual and check out figure-3.

EDIT: this way you don't have to abuse the RB-35 with some nasty bass it can't handle. if the reviews are good, the RW-12 is the second on my upgrade list. if I can find a dealer that is...

the RW series subwoofers have the speaker level input/outputs which allows you to connect the speaker cables to the subwoofer, have the subwoofer filter the bass at the chosen crossover, and send out the filtered signal to the speakers. look at the RW series manual and check out figure-3.

EDIT: this way you don't have to abuse the RB-35 with some nasty bass it can't handle. if the reviews are good, the RW-12 is the second on my upgrade list. if I can find a dealer that is...

----------------

As far as I can tell off Klipsch.com and the manual, it seems like the RW's don't have outputs (while the RSW's do)? I'm kind of confused.

Goodguys.com currently sells the RW-10 for $450 shipped.

Even if I got a RW-8/10/12, would the Onkyo (50w x 2) struggle in powering the sub and the RB-35's?

Congrats...

And don't get sucked into the upgrade thing, At least until you can afford it... :)

Lowest on the list...Cable - Just starting out, your only concern should be a good solid connection. You should be able to do that for dollars.

Stands, You are in college, Improvise. Anything that you buy now, you probably won't want later.

Obviously buying cds without a cd player is not a great idea. However you can get some good deals on single CD players on E-bay. Are you ready to start your CD collection now? There's a whole ton of places that sell previously owned CDs cheap.

Low priced subs don't go low. That's why they are cheap. But you can probably get an entry level sub cheap from E-Bay.

----------------

On 8/10/2003 7:14:56 PM natan wrote:

As far as I can tell off Klipsch.com and the manual, it seems like the RW's don't have outputs (while the RSW's do)? I'm kind of confused.

----------------

oops, my bad. I was thinking about the KW line, you are right, no output. I wouldn't get the KW line for that reason though.

----------------

Even if I got a RW-8/10/12, would the Onyko (50w x 2) struggle in powering the sub and the RB-35's?

----------------

no, you are not powering the sub.

natan-

You have a respectable system started, welcome to Klipsch Nirvana!

Here is how I would rank your list (with slight modification)....

- Save your $$$$$

- Buy food!

- CD's

- Single-slot cd player

- A low-end subwoofer?

- More cable to bi-wire

Now the logic, if there is such a thing.....

I think your system is quite reasonable for a student, so save your money and don't upgrade anything. 12.gif

Of the options presented, I have to agree with clueless that going the route of starting a CD collection of your own might be in order, depending on your musical aspirations. Start by getting used CDs to save $$$. (I really can't condone the pirating of CDs from your friends.) But keep in mind that your collection will probably drastically changed in nature from your high school/college years to what it will be in the future. Your iBook has a CD player built in so any CDs you do purchase are easily played through your Mac. IF IF IF your collection does indeed grow and you start listening to them a tremendous amount, THEN and ONLY THEN start pondering the idea of a CD player.

I'll have to differ with most of these guys opinions, if your interest is in PURE as possible 2-channel (under student budget constraints), IMHO, don't get a sub. First, your receiver is a stereo receiver, its not intended to be used with a sub. There are ways to get it to work, it will require extra cabling and a subwoofer with a built in cross-over and speaker output. Of the Klipsch products, the RW line doesn't have this ability, and I can't tell if the RWS line has it or not. Second, most subs in the price range required by your budget, you would most likely be disappointed with (they mostly likely wouldn't acoustically blend well with the RB-35s).

Best of luck

-Dave

----------------

Even if I got a RW-8/10/12, would the Onyko (50w x 2) struggle in powering the sub and the RB-35's?

----------------

You could still hook up the RW subwoofer to your stereo amp, even though the sub does not have a speaker output. You would just simply have to connect both your RB-35s and the sub to the same set of terminals on your stereo amp.

The subwoofer will not present a load to the amp, since it has its own amp. It would just simply take the signal being recieved from your stereo amp and filter out the part below the subs crossover setting play that. You would have to adjust the sub's crossover setting to blend it seemlessly to the RB-35s.

Now, as to getting a subwoofer? Personally, that would be my next upgrade, since adding a sub really does help to add to the overall quality of the music, even if it is not real bass-heavy. However, given your budget, I'd just simply wait and as Pyro suggests, just build up your CD collection. What you have is just fine, especially for a college student (hell, it's better than what I had when I was in college!). When you graduate and start making some real money, than you could seriously look into some nice upgrades. But, if you find a good sub at a good deal - go for it!

----------------

On 8/11/2003 5:58:11 PM DrPyro wrote:

natan-

You have a respectable system started, welcome to Klipsch Nirvana!

Here is how I would rank your list (with slight modification)....

- Save your $$$$$

- Buy food!

- CD's

- Single-slot cd player

- A low-end subwoofer?

- More cable to bi-wire

Now the logic, if there is such a thing.....

I think your system is quite reasonable for a student, so save your money and don't upgrade anything.
12.gif

Of the options presented, I have to agree with clueless that going the route of starting a CD collection of your own might be in order, depending on your musical aspirations. Start by getting used CDs to save $$$. (I really can't condone the pirating of CDs from your friends.) But keep in mind that your collection will probably drastically changed in nature from your high school/college years to what it will be in the future. Your iBook has a CD player built in so any CDs you do purchase are easily played through your Mac. IF IF IF your collection does indeed grow and you start listening to them a tremendous amount, THEN and ONLY THEN start pondering the idea of a CD player.

I'll have to differ with most of these guys opinions, if your interest is in PURE as possible 2-channel (under student budget constraints), IMHO, don't get a sub. First, your receiver is a stereo receiver, its not intended to be used with a sub. There are ways to get it to work, it will require extra cabling and a subwoofer with a built in cross-over and speaker output. Of the Klipsch products, the RW line doesn't have this ability, and I can't tell if the RWS line has it or not. Second, most subs in the price range required by your budget, you would most likely be disappointed with (they mostly likely wouldn't acoustically blend well with the RB-35s).

Best of luck

-Dave

----------------

Dave,

Thanks for your response. I already own about 100 albums that I've purchased over the years, it's not like I don't own any. So you think that I'm best off just being content with the RB-35's and not upgrade anything?

I'm considering buying a pair of stands. The room I'm moving into next week is 12 ft. x 16 ft., so I'll have some room to get more of a spread going. The RB-35 manual suggests a 6-15 ft. spread, and currently I can't even get them 6 ft. apart. On that note - can anyone suggest modestly priced stands for the RB-35's?

And yes, food is important. :)

stands are always cheap at ebay.

the wooden (black) chicago audio stands are what i bought and they worked very nice for some sb-1s and the promedia speakers i have. on the plus side, they were only $20 plus $5 shipping from ebay - MUCH BETTER DEAL than buying some 70 dollar stands from circuit city, best buy, or tweeter.