How safe is Ebay?

HornsRus

I have bought a number of items on ebay I think you should keep the following in mind:

1. pictures are important! ask for actual photos of the item in question.

2. write e-mails asking for the COMPLETE description of an item, assure you ask explicity if the item has any operating or cosmetic problems.

3. check the sellers feedback, I generally will not buy from anyone with less than a dozen feedbacks (all positive of course), you may miss and item but your risk is much lower if you can confirm previous satisfied customers.

4. consider escrow for big ticket items.

the only weakness on ebay is your inability to touch and hear an item before hand, it is serious handicapo and one which must be taken seriously. The Ebay community is serious about discouraging sellers who lie through the negative feedback mechanism and banning crooked sellers but...caveat emptor, you must ask all pertinant questions to the seller...laslty beware of paying too much in the heat of bidding, know the price you should pay and do not go higher...regards and good luck, tony

I also have bought alot of things off of e- bay and I agree with what sunnysal has to say, although my best buys have been from sellers who where either 1st time or near 1st time sellers. I have received items not as described, but so far I have been able to make up for misrepresentation of goods with refunds by the seller. I bought a pair of older a/d/s speakers which the seller claimed where in excellent condition. When I got them the foam around the drivers where gone! The seller sent me a full refund and told me to keep the speakers. I had them re- foamed for around $80.00 from a local speaker repair shop. So all in all I came out. Be prepared for a gamble with e- bay, but there are good deals and all sellers I have dealt with have been good about working out problems with me.

I have had great luck with eBay....so far (knocking on wood).

I have purchased my KG .5's, my Quartets, my Adcom amp, and many many other things on eBay with no problems at all. I have sold many many items on eBay, including my KG 4's and an other Adcom amp and have had just a few problems with people not sending money after they win.

The big thing when purchasing a big $$ item is to send the person an email and see how long and how well they reply. If a person doesn't take the time to reply to a question, then you really don't want to risk bidding on their item.

But in the end you are taking a chance with anyone you buy from....sometimes the person with 5000 feedback will have 500 negatives....but you don't see that because you don't bother to look. And on the other hand....the person with 1 feedback may be the best person you will ever deal with, everyone has to start out someplace.

Just be cautious, email the seller some questions, check out his complete feedback, and know exactly what you are bidding on and the going rate for it. Patience is the key to eBay, don't overbid on an item because the same item will show up again in a few days in most cases.

Good Luck!

Steve

------------------

Home Theater System:

Klipsch Quartets - mains for both systems

Klipsch KV3 - center

Klipsch KG.5's - rear surrounds

Klipsch KSW12 subwoofer

Denon AVR-1601

Music System:

Adcom GFA-555 Musical Concepts Modified

NAD 1600 Pre/Tuner

Sony C-67ES CD Player

hello I have bought 2 amps sp far on ebay with wonderful results!! bought an adcom gfa545 amp and recently a parasound 2 ch amp and its great!! most people on ebay are quite honest and dont want their reputation hurt because they want to keep on selling items..its no wonder ebay is kicking tail on any other web auction out there with the numbers that support their success!!!

------------------

my equipment:

klipsch rf-3 (main)

klipsch center ch speaker

boston acoustics (rear)

mirage ss-1500 subwoofer

yamaha 795 receiver driving center and rears parasound hca-1500 amp

driving rf-3s

mirage subwoofer 1500 watts!

sony 650 dvd/cd player

sony minidisc/cd player combo

panasonic hifi vcr

waiting to see what new reference line will sound like in 2001!!

I remember checking Ebay out when there was only 9 to 12 Klipsch items per week. 4 to 5 pages now! Obviously they're doing something right. I have had FANTASTIC dealings with Ebay up to date. Steve has given some VERY good advice, (Couldn't have said it better!)

Take care & have FUN!

Mike

I bought a Dynaco ST-70, and it is great! I agree with all that has been said prior to my post. Pester the owner with questions; you can't know enough about the unit since you can't get your hands on it. If you're really serious, ask the owner for a phone number, and call him/her/it! Have the dumbbell talk to you while they're looking at the damn thing! Bother them so much they'll wanna give it to ya!

BEWARE of snipers! This is especially true with popular items like the Stereo 70. The bid price will stabilize after a while, then with minutes, even seconds to go before the auction expires, expect to see hits like crazy! I spent a little too much on mine, but the satisfaction of winning is great. If you're buying a tube amp, make sure the owner packages the tubes separately, and have it insured! I had heard not to ship via UPS so I didn't. I used the good ol' USPS and told my carrier to leave it at the PO. He dropped me a note when it arrived, and I went and got it. The guy was a first time seller, and had packaged so well it would have survived re-entry into the atmosphere! Good luck, and have fun!

I bought a pair of Cornwalls, when they were delivered the tweeters were blown out, had to sped another 300.00 for tweeters! All in all the Cornwalls were 700.00 and 300.00 thats 1,000.00 and also did not know these were woven cane!!

So 1,000.00 for a nice pair of woven cane birch laminated cornwalls is still a deal! I love them, even more than my first pair!!

Stay away from UPS and all of e-bay will be fine, although ive only bought 12 items off e-bay!!

You always take a chance, anyway you go!!

You can buy something brand new, and still have problems!!

E-BAY is ok Regards Jim

I've purchased several items off of ebay. I've never been burned, but I used iescrow.com for all big ticket items I didn't pickup myself. My last pair of La Scalas were $446 through ebay (plus a $50 stupid tax speeding through Columbia, SC).

If you know what you want and what it is worth, don't be afraid. Use a service like iescrow.com and don't get bidding fever and you'll make out.

John