K-HORNS FOR SALE; MINT +

dodger

Greetings:

Gary - you have dibs on the next set as long as I have dibs on the 240.

WOLFRAM I OUR HEARTS YOU ARE CLOSE. iF IT IS SOMETHING THAT CAN BE SHIPPED i WILL CONTACT YOU,

Chris your offer of lunch is generous and accepted.

I have made contact with all stpres in my area and will hit one outlying one and they have all agreed to call me first. Then I will Post

Remember, all donations go to the SET Amplifier fund. After that a McIntosh 4100, recapping my 60s - have not forgotten you Craig. Then a pair of K-Horns, maybe Gary's 249 and other than owner's manual and schematics then I am through.

I will be selling some of my equipment shortly. Some older Adcom than listed, tubes, tuners, Dynaaco Pas 3x, a metal and glass Fisher Stereo store ad (bird with musical note in mouth, electronic books

al sort of things. Will accept some trading but sale preferred one McIntosh amplifier to finish payment on, then SET amps offered by a peron with a lot of class and understanding of how the world should be.

Thank You Everyone.

Win dodger

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gary-

So far, the 299B sounds pretty sweet on the K-horns. It would be interesting to try a Fisher, maybe a 7591-based Scott, or an Eico. Guess there are lots of possibilities.

I'm really thinking about leaving my 299B on when I go to work to help the burn-in time, but I am gone about 12hrs, so I'd hate to have something go wrong and not be there to catch it. I did that once already with the BLO rag incident. Don't want to repeat that.

Win-

Check your mail for info on our meeting.

----------------

On 8/13/2003 9:52:28 AM jhawk92 wrote:

I'm really thinking about leaving my 299B on when I go to work to help the burn-in time

----------------

Rob, I think this might be a little dangerous :)

I "think" proper burn-in requires signals going through the components. I could be mistaken on this point but if it is the case, then grab some peace of mind and turn them off while you're slaving away at work.

Chris-

Sorry, I guess I didn't make that clear. I would not run the amp without signals going through. I'd just load up the CD changer, hit "Repeat all" and then let it do its thing. But I think I'll just stick to burn-in while I am at home.

Unreal. I must have gone by that store every day last week on the way to the tournament. Never saw it (visions of Mickelson's flop shots dancing in my head!!). What an incredible week!!!

gary-I am looking for the 6HU6

dodger- I'll find that manual while looking for the 6HU6 (or the other way around) Also-ever been to Record Archive? Great selection of vinyl, but they seem to use the term "collectible" a bit loosely.

----------------

On 8/18/2003 4:27:47 PM bclarke421 wrote:

Unreal. I must have gone by that store every day last week on the way to the tournament. Never saw it (visions of Mickelson's flop shots dancing in my head!!). What an incredible week!!!

gary-I am looking for the 6HU6

dodger- I'll find that manual while looking for the 6HU6 (or the other way around) Also-ever been to Record Archive? Great selection of vinyl, but they seem to use the term "collectible" a bit loosely.

----------------

Greetings:

Thanks Ben.

If you can't find the 6HU6, try

DrRoy1@AOL.com on ebay he has his own website, I'll look - www.radiotubesupply.com.

Beth or Roy will have it cheap.

Take Care and Thanks Again Ben!

Win dodger

These K-Horns do look mighty fine! - I probably would have been in the market for K-horns if I had proper Korners, but since I don't I sealed my fate today and ordered a pair of Auris II speakers from the Netherlands.

A single coaxial driver speaker that is 97db. A guy named Hans builds them in his house. They are supposed to be quite spectacular!

I should get them in October.

Interesting, the Auris II speakers are only talked about between users so their reputation preceeds them. I have seen them written about but have not see a pic yet. You have anything?

On another matter, one that is a change of subject, do you prefer the TJ Full Music 2.5v 300b tubes over the other options? I notice you list them in your sig and was wondering about your impressions. I did a long weekend comparo with RCA Blackplates, Sovtek, TJ, and the KR300B. They came in third in my Moondogs and Wrights via the Cornwalls. But would be interested in hearing your impressions.

kh

That is the first shot I have seen of the Auris II, although I sure have not frequented any of the AA forums in five months or so. Interesting speaker. It's rather unique even compared to some of the other full range single point speakers.

auris_11.jpg

Have you had a chance to sample these? I read some that preferred them with higher watt amplification and at lower volumes. Interesting. Have you heard the Lamhorns?

I hadnt really noticed that TJ has put out a dedicated 2A3 per say. This your favorite modern 2A3? PErhaps I need to give it a listen as I felt the 300B/2.5v wasnt as focused as it should have been. It sounded a bit slow as well.

kh

Interesting site. Hadnt seen it. And although I had talked to Les about these speakers, I had forgotten that he ended up getting a pair of THESE. I couldnt get the reviews to come up from that site but do remember talks from the past.

http://www.progressive-engineering.com/klipsch/auris_2_pair.jpg

Comparing the Lamhorns with AE-1 to the Klipsch Cornwalls is almost like apples and oranges in some ways. Both are great speakers, however. The way the bottom end was portrayed was very different, ultimately making me prefer the CW. I felt the CW exhibited more soul as it were. But there really is something magical about a single source speaker. Nixing that xover is a definite plus!

kh

----------------

On 8/18/2003 9:20:09 PM mobile homeless wrote:

That is the first shot I have seen of the Auris II, although I sure have not frequented any of the AA forums in five months or so. Interesting speaker. It's rather unique even compared to some of the other full range single point speakers.

Have you had a chance to sample these? I read some that preferred them with higher watt amplification and at lower volumes. Interesting. Have you heard the Lamhorns?

I hadnt really noticed that TJ has put out a dedicated 2A3 per say. This your favorite modern 2A3? PErhaps I need to give it a listen as I felt the 300V/2.5v wasnt as focused as it should have been.

kh

----------------

Good looking speaker! Is that a PHY full range unit? These are supposed to be pretty good stuff.

For the 300B/2.5 V, I still scratch my head as what's the point of this tube if not to sell it for 2A3 loons in search of new trills. Assuming that it is an "electrical equivalent" to the real thing, this tube to me makes no sense no matter how you look at it.

First the 300B runs at a much higher operating point and ask for a driver with some cojones compare to what a 2A3 will need. I have tried the real 300B at 2A3 operating points to see if the proponents of running DHT low and easy were drooling about... well, maybe they liked the results but not me for sure. So by extension (in my much biased opinion), trying a TJ 300B / 2.5 V in an amp designed for a 2A3 is a sure way not to squeze what the tube can probably give. Unless it's not a 300B at all and the designation is only to lure tube rollers addict on the lookout for the new "tube du jour".

The irony with this tube is that you won't be able to use it in a 300B amp unless you modify it to supply 2.5V instead of 5 V. Still assuming this tube is an electrical equivalent to the 300B I could see the advantage here since you could easily run it with AC on the heaters instead of DC.

As for single driver speakers, these maybe really fine speakers. I really much adore my Lamhorns but I must confess hearing the K-Horn at Chris's place made me reconsider my vow that the Lamhorns would be my last speaker ever.

Mobile,

I also talked to Les about the Auris. Also a very knowledgeable Audiophile posting under Robert H. from Canada also owns a pair of these. These two guys posting over the last couple of years "this is the last speaker you will ever buy". etc. etc. etc.

Also Les had La Scalas for over 20 years.

Both of these guys had never heard or seen the Auris before purchasing. Robert H. basically said "don't try to audition them, just order them." "they are that good". Robert has owned just about every speaker that I have heard of. He currently owns some very expensive Tannoys - That he said the Auris embarrassed. Do a search on the AA forums for "Auris", and you'll probably want a pair before you're done reading.

So after 2 years of listening to these guys raving about these speakers, I just could not stand it anymore.

So off went my $6.5 K - The largest gear purchase I have ever made, and I have not heard them either! A bit crazy, but it was an itch I had to scratch.3.gif

I've been reading about the PHY drivers for a few weeks. They are quite intriguing. Most importantly, the absence of a crossover and the cone going up to 8kHz. The PHY driver can also be used on an open baffle. The plans are available on their website: www.phy-hp.com. Look under Montages for plans.

THere's been a lot of hype on AA. One owner, krisgel, has already sold his auris and is having a 4-way system built.

The only caveat is that they are 16 ohm, so one will need to mod their amps since most have only 4 & 8 ohm taps.