I have almost completely moved on from CD's now

prodj101

now that I am listening more primarily to jazz, I have found I don't buy any more CD's, and instead almost 99% of recordings I buy are SACD's. www.acousticsounds.com has no shortage of jazz SACD's, so I don't see why not, and the sound is soooooo much better. cd's just don't seem worthy anymore...

What about Vinyl vs. SACD?

I have a new SACD player, but down the road I want to get into Vinyl as well. When I have some money I think I will get an MMF-5, hopefully find a slightly used one for cheaper. But hey a new one costs the equivelent of only about 25 SACD's...

Ok so it isn't cheap, but at least it looks cool :)

Btw, did anyone else here get stuck in NYC last night? I slept in a conference room in my office building, not very well of course, and I am dead tired...

James

Interesting how many who find their way to this forum seem so dissatisfied CD's, reference a higher digital medium, then suggest they are interested in trying LP's.

Not an attempt at starting something, as those of you who've read my posts would know, but just one of those things that interests me.

I am certain that digital is ultimately superior, but doesn't seem to be floating everyone's boat just yet.

Took me 10 years to determine I was musically starving to death on CD's.

Dave

Dave,

I could of went the route of SACD or DVD-A, but since I have a healthy investment of vinyl and CDs it made more sense for me to get better source equipment for my CD and Vinyl playback.

I'm sure ultimately CDs will fade out and SACD will take over the mainstream.

I've heard some very bad sounding SACD. There seems to me to be a huge quality variances in the mastering and re-mastering of many works. The format provides for the possibility of superior sound, I just don't want to spend $$ for a high-Res poorly mastered SACD.

I guess I'm just lucky (or deaf), but I have never had a problem with CD sound. Oh sure there's a number of sonic clunkers out there, but they are more than balanced out by the number that sound really good. Once I "went digital" in '84, I never looked back.

I too am about to take the plunge into the world of SACD / DVD-Audio. Man, "the future's so bright, I gotta wear SHADES" !!! 10.gif

im with you 101, i had the rotel 991 which was a really good cd player, but it still does not match sacd, or dvd-a, so i went a little extreem, and sold all od my cd's and replaced them with the other formats, have to honestly say i have not regretted it, i am now considering the world of vinyl, but i know little about newer machines and when i go on the net looking for advice they only seem to talk about the really high end-expensive machines, so i am reluctant12.gif

There is a ton of info on analog for a great price in the 2 Channel forum with entire threads devoted to this very subject. Yes, there are some nice tables for a few extra dollars that are worth it and the used market holds quite a few gems with the only drawback the care in choosing the right unit that has been cared for in the past. Still, I am for spending a bit of money here as I feel the reward is great when you get it dialed in (the cartridge choice and subsequent setup holds a good bit of the magic as well). There are a host of options and the archives here, if the damn thing works as it should. If you spent the money for a Rotel unit of that caliber, then a vinyl rig in that range would be a nice addition, again, if choosen carefully.

kh

----------------

On 8/15/2003 10:56:07 PM prodj101 wrote:

now that I am listening more primarily to jazz, I have found I don't buy any more CD's, and instead almost 99% of recordings I buy are SACD's. www.acousticsounds.com has no shortage of jazz SACD's, so I don't see why not, and the sound is soooooo much better. cd's just don't seem worthy anymore...

----------------

While I do not have a problem per say with traditional CDs I do certainly recognize the superiority of SACDs and Vinyl. For me the SACD is the easiest no hassle way to the best sound for the dollar. No worries with record cleaning, storage sleeves and all the other fun stuff that goes with vinyl. I too find it hard to buy traditional cds knowing that when a release that I like comes out on SACD I wll replace it. A case in point is the New John Mellencamp CD he recorded it on vintage analog equipment but to my knowlege its not out on SACD or vinyl! I have resisted buying it because I know I will only buy it a agian on SACD hoefully when its available.

Yes like any other format there are good mixes and bad mixes and good and bad performances. And this will certainly continue to be the case as the companies start making their libraries available on SACD. But I say bring em on and let me decide to buy them or not.

BTW Sony just dropped the standard price of their SACDs to I believe 16.95 down from 19.99 Good news to those of us who are committed to this format.

josh

I have heard some SACD's that sound worse than CD (sorry for the late response, forgot about this thread until now). I have also heard tapes that sound better than CD, every medium has it's flops. I use my sony NSV-9000, which I got a fair deal on. they originaly retailed at $1,000, but than they were going to be discontinued so they lowered the price down to $750, which lowered online prices down to about 550 excluding shipping. it sounds great, and is a high quality player. some of the sacds I ahve sound just amazing, like Dave Brubecks Time Out, Bob Mintzer's Gently, or the Pink Floyd album The Dark Side of the Moon. I have never heard music so clear before, yet at the same time not a strain on the ears. it's great.

I never really moved TOWARD CDs!! Even though I have a few hundred of them and two CD players (and a used Rega on the way for my wife's new office system). I have almost no interest in SACD only because I seem to already own most of the stuff I'd want to buy on vinyl and maybe even on CD too. I just can't pull the trigger on this new digital medium, but I would LOVE to audition a high-end SACD player!

I have heard some SACD's that sound worse than CD

This is part of what makes comparisons difficult. A poorly recorded or mastered CD, record, SACD, XACD, supersonicicfragilisticwhatever will sound bad. GIGO. This is why I think it was important ot know that CD labels in the 80s were boosting the 10-12K audio range so people would percieve the CD as clearer (as verified by Griffinator). It's important to know you're comparing apples to apples, a good recording of one format to another good (hopefully mastered the same) recording on the other medium. That way you are only listening to differences in the media only. This can be a bit difficult to do with the absence of mastering info on the recordings, necesitating us to listen to many examples and drawing our conclusions from our total experience.