Mac lovers -- move fast

Deang

LOL. That's hilarious Dean.

I have actually emailed him in the past asking him if he ever planned on finding someone stupid enough to pay his asking prices and he responded with the craziest email. Look at what he is asking for his MC240. I just can't see the logic in someone thinking they are going to sell something at that price without awesome pictures to back it up.

Actually, the thing that interests me is the pair of "supposedly" NEVER USED MC75's on eBay right now. That's not something you see everyday.

The guy with the NOS MC-75's also has a circa 1961 SME 3012 metal bearing tonearm NEW IN THE BOX. I would LOVE to get my hands on this one, but it's already over $400 and climbing fast. Oh well.

I sold a near mint MC240 on ebay a few months ago for $1950 with a "Buy It Now" and my reserve was only $1250.

Notice post count rises dramatically when other things are due...

Allan, I really just need to hear a pair of those damn MC-30 with some good tubes just to hear what you have been cackling about all this time. I have never been a huge fan of McIntosh gear but those damn amps have me curious. Too bad you are over 3000 miles away...and in a State that is a big a mess as any I have seen in awhile. Lordy...what else can happen? The Arnie thing has me depressed as it is. I can only wonder what is going on within your skull...

kh

Here's what's going to happen in October here in CA. Davis WILL be recalled--he's a money grubbing old-time pol who deserves the sh*t storm he sailed into and even though I am against the recall I will shed no tears for Gray Davis.The hardcore right will vote for McLintock and/or Simon, moderate Republicans (oh how I HATE that term!) will vote for Arnold. Hispanics, African Americans and hardcore Democrats will vote for Cruz Bustamante who will be our next Governor.

I am a life-long liberal Democrat who is just about fed up---just to give you all an idea about how AWFUL things are for small businesses here, get a load of these numbers. In 1998 I employed 83 people and my Workers Compensation insurance premiums set me back some $88,000 per year. In 2003 I employed 85 people and my premiums were $396,000. And now were going to have PAID family leave starting next year. OH BOY! If there were any demand for film props and set dressing in Texas or Arizona I'm sure we'd be considering a move.

One thing about Arnold, he's got the support of just about EVERYONE I TALK TO in the film business (all "below the line" drones) because they are convinced he'll do something to make CA in general and LA in particular more attractive to filmmakers with tax breaks, etc. In a very evil, dark part of my soul I fully understand . . .

----------------

On 8/17/2003 11:19:56 PM Allan Songer wrote:

Here's what's going to happen in October here in CA. Davis WILL be recalled--he's a money grubbing old-time pol who deserves the sh*t storm he sailed into and even though I am against the recall I will shed no tears for Gray Davis.The hardcore right will vote for McLintock and/or Simon, moderate Republicans (oh how I HATE that term!) will vote for Arnold. Hispanics, African Americans and hardcore Democrats will vote for Cruz Bustamante who will be our next Governor.

I am a life-long liberal Democrat who is just about fed up---just to give you all an idea about how AWFUL things are for small businesses here, get a load of these numbers. In 1998 I employed 83 people and my Workers Compensation insurance premiums set me back some $88,000 per year. In 2003 I employed 85 people and my premiums were $396,000. And now were going to have PAID family leave starting next year. OH BOY! If there were any demand for film props and set dressing in Texas or Arizona I'm sure we'd be considering a move.

One thing about Arnold, he's got the support of just about EVERYONE I TALK TO in the film business (all "below the line" drones) because they are convinced he'll do something to make CA in general and LA in particular more attractive to filmmakers with tax breaks, etc. In a very evil, dark part of my soul I fully understand . . .

----------------

Yes our workers comp is the highest in the country but you also have to understand that we also have the worst workmans comp benefits in the country. Only Gray Davis, the Lt Gov and the liberal state legislature could combine forces on such a feat!

No you can dream that Cuz B will be our next gov. The fact is that the politicians, including our Lt guv have screwed this place up. One can only hope that smart people in this state will not elect another politician and either Arnold or the ex b-ball commish will prevail.

Joshnich

I got fed up a long time ago. The Democratic party ain't what it was 30 years ago.

California has provided a great example of what the (current) Democrats can do when they REALLY get in power. More state employees to suck on the governments ***. Free everything for everybody. $hit, they'd be glad if no one had to work.

Also, the residents' Proposition ## mentality is a great example of the "tyranny of democracy" (ie, stupid people get to vote, too). Ex: limiting revenue increases while mandating spending. The founding fathers knew this "tyranny" and gave us a republic instead of a pure democracy.

Personally, I want Bustamante to get elected. The state's so far in the hole, no one is going to bring it out without inflicting major pain on someone. The Catch-22. You can't lay off the state-employee leeches or else the teacher's union and their minions will be on your tail. So, I guess you can "tax the rich" and business, but CA is already losing business. Hence the "reductio ad absurdum" of the (current) Democratic Party mentality.

The Dems fu#!^* it up. Let them fix it.

I really SERIOUSLY doubt that our Workman's Compensation benefits are the "worst" by any measure. A couple of years back I had a guy our for 8 months with a sprained ankle and last year I had someone out for 5 months with a partially dislocated knuckle on his left pinkie. Sounds like pretty generous benefits to me!

What's effed up is that there are no checks and balances against corrupt doctors and their buddies/partners in the physical therapy offices who MILK this generous system like there's no tomorrow. How does 58 physical therapy sessions for a partially dislocated knuckle on the pinkie sound? And at least a dozen trips to the doctor's office and some X-Rays and an MRI too? I mean COME ON!!! We are talking tens of thousands of dollars--20 years ago they would have put him in a splint, gave him some Tylenol and sent him back to work and told him not to bang his left pinkie into anything.

How do we put an end to this BS? By cracking down on this fraud and that means BIGGER governement with MORE power and staff to get the job done. Either that or cut WC benefits to the bone. Or maybe there's some combonation of the two-- I dunno.

Allan,

It's been my experience (in the building trades) that plenty (perhaps more) of WC fraud occurs on the employer side. I've seen seriously injured folks told to just take some time off, let it heal, don't bump it in to anything, etc., when really they should be seeing a doctor. Yes, rates are rediculously high, and I agree that an office manager with a secretary with a paper cut should not be required to file a claim, but a guy who falls off a scaffold onto his head shouldn't be told to just shake it off. It's a bad system for both worker and employer.

fini

Allan:

I work as a Fraud Investigator for a large insurance company (#3 in the Disability sector) and totally agree with you. The fraud I see on a daily basis would infuriate the average person. As far as prosecuting fraud goes, it's unlikely there wil be any significant increase in prosecutions. It's so rampant that staffing would have to increase 10-20 fold to handle the cases.

The state of CT, for instance, had over 2200 referrals for worker's comp fraud alone in 2002. Add in medical billing fraud (the largest), disability fraud, auto fraud, life ins fraud, etc. and you can see a huge problem. Average cost per family in the US: $1200 per year in increased premiums pand product prices.

Sadly, our entitlement-oriented welfare society and class-warfare mentality has created an environment where many think stealing from the government, insurance companies, etc. is OK--- a "victimless crime".

The latest craze is asbestos litigation. It's gopnna cost the consumers, billions of friggin $$$ so @$$wipe attorneys can get rich.

As usual, California seems to be in a situation that is also, or will soon be facing other states. Declining manufacturing jobs and too much dependance on service industry jobs is a bad combo. Couple that with the "Costco/Walmart-ization" of the retail sector and you've got big trouble. At least two thirds of all Wallmart/Costco employees do not have(or simply cannot afford) health care coverage and an even larger percentage do not have any retirement plans. Who pays the bills for that lack of health care coverage? A Walmart company spokesman recently replied when asked a similar question, "Wal-Mart freely acknowledges shifting its health care costs to taxpayers and responsible employers. A company spokesperson said, "...(Wal-Mart employees) who choose not to participate in (Wal-Mart's health plan) usually get their health-care benefits from a spouse or the state or federal government." Wal-Mart is the biggest beneficiary of its health plan because the company shifts $1 billion in health care costs to the government and other, more responsible employers.".

Sorry about the above rant, but take a look at this article I found in the SF Chronicle recently. Kinda interesting....

The following story is a little long, but makes an interesting read....

The Great Wal-Mart Wars

By Ruth Rosen, San Francisco Chronicle

June 30, 2003

Would you like a Wal-Mart "supercenter" store to move into your community? Think of the low prices and the convenience of one-stop shopping! You just park once and get whatever you need groceries, drugs, plants, toys, dog food, even eyeglasses.

Sounds great, doesn't it? So why have nearly 200 communities refused to allow such big-box stores to enter their lives? Do they know something we don't?

To find out, I embedded myself in the Wal-Mart wars that have recently broken out in Contra Costa County. What I learned, in a nutshell, is that Wal-Mart's nonunion, big-box stores drag down other workers' salaries, destroy downtown businesses, prevent smart-growth development and increase traffic congestion. What really surprised me though is that we, the taxpayers, end up subsidizing Wal-Mart stores by paying for the health and retirement needs of its workers.

Wal-Mart has announced its intention to open 40 new supercenter stores each the size of four football fields in such fast-growing California suburban areas as Contra Costa County.

But Contra Costa County has fought back. A year ago, Martinez prevented a traditional Wal-Mart store from expanding into a supercenter that could sell groceries. On June 3, the county Board of Supervisors voted to ban such supercenter stores from unincorporated areas of the county.

In making its decision, the board cited a study done by the San Diego County Taxpayers Association (SDCTA), a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization. It found that an influx of big-box stores into San Diego would result in an annual decline in wages and benefits between $105 million and $221 million, and an increase of $9 million in public health costs. SDCTA also estimated that the region would lose pensions and retirement benefits valued between $89 million and $170 million per year and that even increased sales and property tax revenues would not cover the extra costs of necessary public services. "Good jobs, good pay, and good benefits should be the goal of an economy," SDCTA concluded, "and supercenters are not consistent with that objective."

Wal-Mart, as is its custom, has launched a counterattack against Contra Costa's ordinance. The company parachuted in platoons of signature-gatherers who are stationed outside discount stores and asking shoppers to sign a petition that would place the board's decision on a ballot. If they collect 27, 000 legitimate signatures, Wal-Mart could reverse the board's ban.

In response, a coalition of community groups have mobilized to defeat Wal- Mart's counterattack. But they face a formidable enemy. Over the last 40 years, Wal-Mart has grown into the nation's biggest employer and the world's largest retailer. Every two days, Wal-Mart opens another superstore. It has more people in uniform than the U.S. Army. Last year, it banked about $7 billion in profits.

The troops fighting Wal-Mart's invasion of Contra Costa County include the Gray Panthers, small businesses, dozens of churches, the National Organization for Women, and environmental and smart-growth activists. Young people, recruited by the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now (ACORN), fan out daily to discount stores and try to convince shoppers not to sign Wal-Mart's petition. They even carry cards that allow voters to withdraw their signature if they have already signed the petition.

The generals in charge of this community resistance are union leaders. John Dalrymple, director of the Contra Costa Central Labor Council, admits they face an uphill battle. The giant retailer is infamous for its take-no-prisoners, anti-union policies. Wal-Mart's ability to offer such low prices, as any union member will tell you, has been achieved by paying its workers or "sales associates" low wages, offering unaffordable health coverage and no retirement benefits and importing most of its products from developing countries, some of which use child and prison labor.

The United Food and Commercial Workers (UFCW) Local 1179, located in Martinez, is headquarters for the war against Wal-Mart. Barbara Carpenter, the union's president, comes from a family whose members have worked for decades at retail companies that provided decent wages, affordable health benefits and pension plans. "It's about saving the American dream," she told me.

Wal-Mart, she points out, lowers wages among working families and crushes family businesses. "It not only pays workers less than most of its retail competitors, two-thirds of workers don't have health-care coverage a cost taxpayers are picking up across the country.'

Did she say taxpayers? That's right. We, the customers, get such low prices and convenient shopping because we, the taxpayers, subsidize Wal-Mart profits by paying for county public health services, food stamps, and social services for its retired employees.

So should you shop at Wal-Mart? To make up your mind, consider this: If you earn a livable wage or are protected by a union, you can probably buy all your monthly needs at Wal-Mart. But that's because the average Wal-Mart employee, who earns about $15,000 a year, cannot do the same.

Convenience and cheap prices, it turns out, come with hidden costs.

Ruth Rosen is a columnist for the San Francisco Chronicle. She can be emailed at rrosen@sfchronicle.com

Most people do vote for politicians that will GIVE them things. It's getting to be the new "American Dream". JFK's "Ask Not" question has become a joke and a good part of the responsibility goes to politicians like his baby brother. Too many government employees, too much stupid government regulation and few limits on mal practice and general liability claims. The regulation thing put me out of business. Way too many small business owners are coming to the conclusion that the cost of business, espically taxes, regulatory compliance issues and insurance make the mountain too steep to climb. The situation might be too far gone Klipsch Fans. Some really good lawyers going after the really bad lawyers would be a good start.