Rega Planet Problems

jtice

My luck on used gear finally ran out as my Rega Planet (original) has gone belly up. I bought it about six months ago. It played well for about 4 months and then I noticed an infrequent skip or stutter. Finally it started dropping the sound out for a second or so a bit more often. I contacted an authorized repair facility and was told to expect an expensive repair ($300) if it turned out to be the laser mechanism as they would suspect.

Then I called a small local audio retailer that sells Rega. He offered to take a look at it and hopefully identify the problemmaybe even fix it. A few days later he called for me to pick it up and said he couldn't do anything with it but would offer a couple hundred as a trade-in, depending on cost of the new one. So, I took it home, plugged it in and it wouldn't work at all. The display flashes and the whole unit goes haywire. I took it back to him. I'm sure he knows that he damaged it further but denies responsibility and chooses to be slippery. Says it went haywire right after I walked out the dooryea, right. I decided to stay cool and think it over, but really didn't like his response.

Questions...

Does anybody think this guy should accept some degree of responsibility for the condition of the player or should I just let it go?

Should I spend the bucks to fix the Rega or put it on a new player? I really like the sound of the Rega but quite a bit less thrilled about reliability.

The options are a)repair it for about the same money I already have in it b)buy a new unit for about the same money c)trade it (with you know who) on something like a NAD or Revox but for considerably more cash out of pocket d)take a chance on another used Rega.

Recommendations on new CD or DVD players in the $300+ range? What about the Denon DVD-910 with dual Burr-Brown DACs? It would be used only for 2 channel audio.

Any thoughts appreciated,

John

Let it go. You can't prove he damaged it, and he can't prove he didn't. It probably really isn't any more broke now than it was when you took it in.

I say trade it in on a new player.

Now, if he refuses to take it in on trade, then you'll know he knows he made it worse.

I don't like the idea of buying used players. There are just too many things that can go wrong with them if not treated correctly.

I can't offer any advice on what to buy since I don't really have any familiarity with the newer stuff.

I don't see any advantage to buying a DVD player for two-channel use only. If you're not watching any DVDs with it, then purchase a new CD player. Music Hall and Cambridge Audio (to name a few) make great inexpensive 24/96 players that sound fantastic on a budget.

Just my two cents...

Strange problem and one not too common with this player, one that I have been VERY familiar with being around three of them and owning one for the last six or so years. I never turn it off and it has literally not missed a single beat since the day I got it as one of my very first online purchases from a SET loon up north. It was barely broken in actually. I think some of Dean's caution is justified with CD players and turntables, which is why I only buy from people that I glean to be sharp and trustworthy. My Rega Planet is playing at this very moment.

As for advice for your player, I guess I would see how much you can get for it. What are the other players he carries? I dont think the Denon DVD will equal the musical qualities you admired in the Rega, sadly. There will be many that argue this point here and it's obviously just an opinion. I just have not had good luck with the average to even above average DVD players in the department of musicality. I still think the Rega is a very good used buy and usually built like a tank. I have heard a few that have had problems but less than most makes. If it was handled improperly at any time, it is a worry since the laser mechanism is exposed and very delicate. A small child or curious fingers could render it sterile in a matter of seconds.

It might be time to do some research on other players right now. I still recommend the Rega Planet to people as I think it's one of the richest, most analog players I have heard for anywhere near the price. On the other hand, it's operating with a custom Burr Brown 18-Bit DAC that has is rather long of tooth. Strangely enough, I still prefer this DAC implementation to a good many 24bit machines I have heard to this day.

kh

I think the Rega uses digital filters with a slower, gradual roll-off, and this may be in fact why you like the sound of this player so much. My 9000 incorporates this as a selectable feature, and when in the default mode, can sound a little bright and analytical with some material. Changing the digital filter setting to "slow" -- elevates the 9000's performance dramatically in my system. I often refer to it as my "Rega setting".1.gif

jtice

I think you are probably being unfair to your dealer.

The problems you were experiencing prior to taking it to him are entirely consistent with a failing logic chip - Other than the fact that it did not unceremoniously die altogether. The problems you now have even more so.

That chip would likely be a Large scale integrated circuit chip ( LSIC ) which in English simply means that nearly all of the control functions ( both internal to the player and possibly all or most functions external to the works - user commands etc. ) are dependent on the proper operation of that chip.

That $300.00 repair estimate sounds right simply because it is rarely possible for a tech to source a single chip and in any event it would cost about the same as a new CD player for a tech to remove a defective chip and solder in a new one - (The farging things can sport 128 + connections). Typically a replacement printed circuit board which includes the bad chip and various other silicony bits and pieces must be purchased and the defective board then must be removed and replaced. In addition it is an economic fact of life that the fewer circuit boards that one needs produced the higher the unit cost. Planets were never a mass market item.

In summation I would say that his offer of a $200.00 discount on a new player is probably generous.

As an aside I once had a retail store and learned that it did not pay to be helpful to customers at times. A fellow came in saying that his TV wouldn't turn on occasionally. I offered to drop by his place on my way home. When I got there I quickly determined that the batteries in his remote were past their prime and suggested that he stop by the next day and pick up new batteries.

My jaw nearly bounced off the floor when he said " I'll pick some up the next time I'm in Calgary - I am not going to pay the kind of prices you guys in High River charge !! "

14.gif

A week or two later he stopped in complaining about a problem with his microwave and I admittedly rather rudely suggested an interesting but admittedly awkward aerial autoerotic exercise 9.gif

At that point he swore at me (some reference to my mother's genetic derivation) and said It is because of people like you that nobody shops in this f*cking town ! and stomped out.

BTW - I am now a computer tech and visited a user's desk the other day. I did a couple of non invasive checks on his PC and then asked him to run a query in Access. He then booted the query and immediately went grey in the face. The poor guy was actually trembling with what I can only assume was a mixture of fear and rage. He remained civil but said - I don't know what you did but all of my data from the last 6 months is gone !

I swallowed my heart and said: " Ok let's do a reboot I suspect that Access has simply had a burp. ( Access mighta been burping but I was nearly ****ting my pants ! - We are talking Millions of $$ in lost data here kiddies ! ). Luckily when the computer came back up everything was as it should be . 10.gif

The fact is that I had done absolutely nothing to his computer at that point but had his several million dollars worth of data actually have been lost I would have likely lost my job even though the losses would not have been my fault.

Bottom Line - Schiese Happens ! Live with it

BTW - Actual Retail value of a dead Planet = Dick !

I appreciate the input from everyone.

Dean & Tom, I had pretty much decided to let it go for the reasons you gave. No positive outcome to be had. Plus he was trying to helpas well as sell a new player. He's offering $150 against a $500 NAD or $200 against a $700 Revox or $250 against a $950 Rega 2000.

We AB'd my Planet against the 2000 when I dropped it off and it was amazing how much resolution the newer player had and still without the brightness of the less expensive players. I'd love to get the new Rega but it's a chunk of change on the heels of other recent purchases.

When I spoke with the tech guy at the US service center he made the point that I would essentially have a new player if I installed the new laser mechanism since that's about the only thing he believes is likely to fail. This option holds my interestequivalent of a new Rega Planet with no history and cost less than any of the trade-in options. I would end up with about the same money in the Rega as if I had bought it new retail. I don't feel the other players would be much of an improvementmore detail but with more brightness. Do you all see major downside to installing a new mechanism in the Rega?

J.

I actually dont get the logic here based on what you said about the Rega Plant vs the 2000 model. Did you not say the 2000 model had far more resolution? How would add a new laser to your original Planet make that Planet into something akin to the 2000 model? Perhaps I am reading this wrong but it didnt make sense on the first pass through.

I personally didnt think the new Planet was a better player in many ways to the old, certainly not worth the price difference. The old Planet actually had some better qualities. Jeff Lessard felt the same way when he auditioned them side by side in his home via SET and Lamhorns; he ended up with a used Rega.

Perhaps you can explain to me what you were saying concerning the new laser. I guess I should read over the post again...

kh

ps- Just read the post again, and glad I did. I do think the Rega is better than a host of othre mid-price units such as the NAD. The answer can not be ascertained by anyone here over the tech that is actually looking at the unit. If there is other damage or wear in that player, than the added expense of a new laser might not be the brightest solution. IT all depends on the condition. Still, I hesitate to put ANYTHING over $100 into a CD player, regardless. LEt the tech see the player and see what he says.

" I would have fired the moron for not backing up his data, and then promoted you to his position just for grins and giggles"

AKA

The way our network is set up most user data files are by default saved to a network server ( which is further backed up to a mirrored server ) - so typically there is little danger of irretrevable data loss.

Promoting me to his position even for a few minutes would be a greater disaster for my company than his losing 6 months of data 9.gif

You see - He at least would have some idea about what the hello that data meant !

It would be akin to Stephen Hawking calling me to his deathbed and saying - I pass my torch to you - Go forth and spread the word.

Reuters - August 17 2003

Stephen Hawking has passed away but has left a message to the world. Speaking through a spokesman he stated that from this point onward all efforts to understand the Universe are best left to Astrologers employed by the National Enquirer. The spokesperson when questioned simply said WTF do I know about any of that stuff ?? - and left the building. Some observers were miffed by the salute that he gave them as he left.

----------------

On 8/17/2003 7:05:53 PM mobile homeless wrote:

If there is other damage or wear in that player, than the added expense of a new laser might not be the brightest solution. IT all depends on the condition. Still, I hesitate to put ANYTHING over $100 into a CD player, regardless. LEt the tech see the player and see what he says.

----------------

Mobile,

Working through the logic in reverse it seems like you're saying you'd be more likely to bet on another used Planet than to spend a similar or even lesser amount on a repair, assuming the tech says it's in good condition otherwise? If that's not correct please clarify.

I can see some logic the other waythat the repair would likely hold for a long time because that main portion of the unit would be new, whereas on a used unit the same thing could happen again soon. And a repair will come with some warranty and anything else that might go wrong would likely be small potatoes after the laser mechanism is replaced.

It's interesting that Lessard and yourself prefer the older Planet. I was perfectly happy with mine and felt I had that part of the system stabilized permanently. In fact, even though this one pooped I still probably prefer to fix it or replace it to the other options, considering the costs. But now that I've been burned once reliability issues are magnified.

John,

Sorry to hear about your Rega problems ! I'm thinking you need to get the player to the repair tech and see what he has to say about its condition before making any decisions. If you love the player and everything else is up to snuff on it why not have ot repaired ?

What is this behind you 299B 'ek-s(&-)l&nt ?? Put what belongs there !! 9.gif

Craig

Jtice,

ditch it. As a long time "fixer" of computers, etc. I can tell you that well over twenty years ago it was more economically viable to replace instead of repair electronics. The interdependencies and all make it impossible to say for sure that if the problem is between A and B, that it's definitely one or the other. And that's for simple problems.

My experience with repair shop boys is that they couldn't find their *ss with both hands.

Trade it in, go for an entry-level Sony SACD player, just not the cheapest darn one you can get. I'm told the Sonys are good Redbook players, whether you use the SACD or not.

Not sure I agree with the above concerning the selection but ole Randy and I have never seen eye to eye since he got all bent outta shape about that prototype Cary he landed off AudioGONE. It was too bad that beast never could see the quality light of day - I admit, Dennis probably went green when he saw that damn thing circling the internet; and he wasnt a loving help with that kludge either, for obvious reasons. It looks just like one of those concoctions that Kirk was using as a test bed for upcoming models. I have one here that is the best Cary I have heard. Ole Randy got one that sounded like two geese mating with a Jack Russell Terrier.

I just have been really unimpressed with some of the recent mid-fi CD players including the DVD linup but perhaps the Sony SACD might turn the corner. I do know the I would much rather have an excellent CD player with a good power supply and design over a cheap SACD with mediocre attention outside of the DAC. This is a lot more going on beside the DAC, in my view.

Then again, my Wright Sound buddy keeps flapping his jaws about the new Philips 963SA that he is reading so much about. The "on-board 24bit/192k upsampling makes a huge improvement" according to the MD hacks, and this is always a hot topic around. Taddeo has a fully optioned Tjoeb with NOS Amperex and is flirting with this deck. Yet every time he gets a mid-price SACD player home, he tells me "not quite there yet." I have reservations but here is the link to some info at Music Direct. This Philips player is only $399 or so(not the cheapest place online to get this by the way).

philips_963.jpg

See the details here:

Philips-DVD963SA SACD/DVD/Blah etc at Music Direct

I havent heard it yet. But I STILL have not heard anything that makes me want to sell my Rega Planet, unless costing quite a bit higher. Im willing to wait and am happy as a clam at the moment. Still, I dont think I have ever taken a CD player in to be fixed either.

kh

When I switched to the Sony SACD 775 I went directly out and bought a handfull of SCAD's and was amazed at how great the SACD's sounded and after a week of using them slowly started playing Redbooks through the machime and never really though much about it. Seemed to sound fine.

Well about a 2 months ago my Sony SACD player took a dump on me and I ended up pulling my old Sony CA7ES player back out. I instantly heard a great improvement in Redbook and was surprised with it. So now I couldn't go without SACD so I now run both and can do quick side by side comparisons. With Redbook the old ES player is indeed better sounding much fuller and natural.

While this particular SACD player does a descent job at Redbook its is still a compromise when the much older ES player can easily best it. Although I hear the newer more expensive Sony ES SACD players are absolutely great at SACD or Redbook !

Craig

Kelly,

Leo K has this deck at home (bought via employee purchase program at work) and I've heard it. It's very nice. If I wasn't so happy with my Njoe Tjoeb, I'd easily give it a whirl.

I took my nastiest recordings (some old, very compressed Steve Morse) and threw it in there. It really did a nice job smoothing it out. I certainly didn't have to run from the room like I usually do :)

Just another data point.

Kelly,

Have you had a chance to listen to any of the Cary players?

I purchased the 308 and did some A/B/A comparisions with the Rega planet. The short story is the Rega is history... The Cary surpassed it in every way. The upsampler I don't use, as I don't care for the sound it creates. HDCD discs are impressively dynamic but too few.

I'm probably going to eat my words posted in another thread and get the Phillips 963. The higher end Sonys will surpass it ... but at significant cost I would imagine.

I'll be keeping the Cary for Redbook as I can find no fault with the Cary to my ears.

- tb

Lordy, Tim! I sure hope the ole Cary 308 bettered the Rega Planet! At a whopping $2300-2500 or so, it should eat it for breakfast, lunch, and perhaps dinner if the stars are aligned! Although there is a model for $1500 or so - this what you purchased? I think the T model has a tube output stage and more ducats involved. As I stated, I dont see too many things I would be interested in without going much higher up the price ladder. Still, to answer your question, I havent heard the Cary 308 and couldnt afford it if I fell in love either. I did compare the Wadia 850 to the Planet and a bevy of Arcam units and was surprised how the Planet got the music right, if not all the results of the Wadia. I never liked Cary's older players but have heard a lot of good things about the newer stuff. They used to take stock Philips machines and do the mod thing and slap their name on it. The new Cary offerings over the last few years are supposed to be quite nice.

You have definitely been raising the stakes with that system of yours! Looks like some nice stuff rolling in - you must be doing well! All you need now are those ole Joule Electra Stargate Monoblocks! heh...

When I pass by Cary next time home, I'll drop in and give that stuff a listen if I can.

kh