My car got towed

kidproquo

Hi,

Need some advice from my fav group. I have a Mazda Protege DX (1993) Red Automatic that had been lying idle for over a year at my apt. parking lot. The management got it towed citing that they have every right to do so since the car dint have the current inspection/reg tags.

Now, the towing company is asking me to shell out 400$. Can anyone tell me what happens if I don't pick up my car from them? I don't wanna spend anymore mone on that car. Can I get into any legal trouble with this?

BTW..anyone interested in buying this car from me? I am giving it away for free - the buyer has to just pay the towing charges - 400$.

The vehicle has been lying idle bcoz of following problems

1)Overheating when idling

2)Some strange jerkiness in tranny when driven around for some time

I am in Austin, Texas.

Regards,

-Kid

Did you receive prior notice? Seeing that you are renting an apartment and assuming your lease permits you to use the parking lot... I don't see how they can get your car towed and held for ransom. My understanding would be that the inspection tags are required for use on public roads, but it was parked in a private parking which requires no certification. I'm in Canada and store my cars in winter and cancel my plates for the duration... doesn't mean my cars are open to takers??

I'd ask them (building owners) in writing to return your car to you, or they will be liable for it's Redbook value.

I think the towing company can sell it after a certain amount of time... but it would be a waste to let them keep your $ .

I would try to get it back and sell it...

Rob

Don't know about Texas. But in some states, storage fees continue to mount up until you redeem it. If you don't redeem it in a certain amount of time, they can sell it to recover what they can. You still owe them the difference. They can sue you for it.

You could also get into trouble if someone drives it and damages property or hurts someone while it is still registered in your name. You would probably be able to beat the suit. But it might cost you for the services of a lawyer to do it..

IMHO you would do well to redeem the car, give it away, and chalk it all up as a good lesson learned.

Why don't you just call the towing company and ask them what they would do if you didn't reclaim your car. Chances are, they recover thier costs (and make a profit - $400 is a hefty towing bill) by just selling the car for salvage and don't bother with legal action - even if it is an option.

----------------

On 8/22/2003 4:47:39 AM nicholtl wrote:

Reclaim your car, and donate it for a nice tax break.

----------------

Greetings:

Donating it is good or don't bother fighting it.

In New York State, a vehicle exposed for the public to see, whether n private or public property must have a current Inspection and Registration (plates.)

If said vehicle is left without current tags (plates) and Inspection, the landlord has two (2) options: pretend they do not see said vehicle, or comply with the law by reporting the vehicle to the proper Authorities and let them Cite and tow. The Complex landlord also has the legal right to have vehicles removed from its lot if they have not been moved after notification or the they have the legal right to have what is basically an abandoned vehicle removed.

Any vehicle without current inspection and registration must be stored in a garage or must be covered with a vehicle tarp. Public or Private property. New York State plus majority of zoning codes in towns, cities and villages.

If you let the fee slide, in New York State, the amount due can be turned over to a Collection Agency for collection and susopension of a Driver's License.

I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice. I am quoting the New York State Motor Vehicle and Traffic Laws.

Win dodger

Let go of the $400 or the car is gone.If it's worth more than for scrap or parts,they'll send you an attempt to get the title.Their intentions will probably be somewhat veild (Protect your ownership rights,etc.).Been there with a really nice '68LTD & I still have the original document.I was broke.Education is expensive.

SSH