The Ongoing Pursuit for Perfection

NOZ

It's been about 10 years now since I got my first pair of La Scala's. I was about 25 years old and just wanted a "rockin system. It has always sounded ok and loud. blah blah

About two years ago I joined this forum and have learned a great deal from everyone here.

This is about the time I started my HT/Stereo/TV room.

It has been such a joy to see and hear my system take it's shape and form.(still some things to be done...2 more La Scalas, five Manley mono blocks, a sound processor) you get the idea.

Even with what is set up now, to see the looks on the faces of my friends, neighbors or who ever comes over for a sample.

9.gif16.gif "My ears are warm", "I think my heart skipped a beat", "It knocks me right through the chest", It's so clean and clear"....

It's wonderful, the crisp highs, the lightening fast mids, and the thundering bass1.gif1.gif1.gif (SVS RULES)

and I thought I had a good system before,lol

Thanks Klipsch and to all here who have guided me through this.

It took me a long time to finally say "Now this sounds and feels right". 1.gif

After listening to My stock Scott LK-48 for 6 months. I got the NOS Valves Rebuild back in the house yesterday.

Smooth from top to bottom and firm on the bottom.

Need to listen to accoustic guitar tommorrow.

I focused on drums, cymbals and electric guitar.

Sounded like real instruments.

I too have leaned much from the forum peer group.

and have benifited greatly!

Rick,

Your miss quoting what your Scott LK-48 really was ! It was not stock but completely rebuilt before I touched it !! This should easily prove to anybody that doesn't think descent parts and the right upgrades here and there won't make a difference in a positive way to these amps. The run of the mill 50 cent capacitors, uncontrollable bias and lack of descent power supply rob these vintage amps of there capabilities big time !

Craig

I force myself to say something nice about your earbleeders and the best you can come up with is a slam on the non-ringing, non-beaming, tractrix plastic lenses? I guess el-cheapo less than plastic diaphrams are so, so much better?

True it was not stock. i was tired. Not thinking clearly.

It was reworked by a first time hobbyist or someone trying to sell it for a quick profit before i acquired it.

In its origaonal form as i received it in February 2003; it was inspriring.

Now it is at a mesmerizing level.

I just keep shaking my head.

NOZ----Why stacked LaScalas? There are better ways to get higher output and lower distortion than doubling up on LaScalas, MUCH better ways.

And why the small, long-stroking subs? They make no sense matched with basshorns.

Your system has no coherant philosophy and is out of whack.

NOZ,

All that cool speaker inventory and not a tube in sight in the preamp.

Have you worked with a tube pre and the Manley Mono blocks?

I have never seen an 5 channel tube pre. There would be an expensive beast.

You have a multitude of other options pursue.

My wife thinks I keep going through equipment like the Energizer Bunny goes through batteries.

I have not idea how many preamps Craig and Dean have been through. I cannot keep up.

----------------

On 8/24/2003 12:55:05 PM TBrennan wrote:

And why the small, long-stroking subs? They make no sense matched with basshorns.

----------------

Tom

SVS works great with Heritage. I do not use my SVS for music, but the few times I did experament, the SVS was a very natural sounding extention to the low end frequency of the Khrons.

Now for the record I run all my speakers on Large so there is no low end cutoff on my processor, my khorns go as low as they can, so my subs are used almost entirely for sound effects in Movies.

JM

I must throw my $0.02 in with JM. I use a SVS with my HT and it rules and it also does very well with music from the Chorus IIs. Before I hooked up my 299B, I was using the SVS with my K-horns since they aren't yet snugged into the corners. It sounded quite good and is a very good match to Heritage speakers, whether fully horn loaded like K-horn or the Chorus/Forte combo in HT.

Malotky----You may like the sound of your SVTs but people like all kinds of things. Using small long-stroke subs with basshorns is inconsistant in philosophical terms and will lead to an incontinuity in the sound.

Listen, if long stroking woofers sounded good we wouldn't need the basshorns in the first place. Long strokers don't have the same kind of sound basshorns have, that's for sure. I didn't like long-strokers back in the 60s when the AR-3 was top dog and I don't like them now.

Maybe you ought'a build a Labhorn or some big cone area short-stroking DRs, you'd hear an improvement over your litle chuggers.

If not then you might call into question why you're using horns at all if you're not sensitive to the diference in sound between short excursion and long excursion devices.

Maybe we should listen to a system before commenting. Everything in the room has a factor.

SVS are a perfect match for my Las.

Tbrennan,

My system may be out of whack, but until I have a way of sweeping up jaws form my floor, I'll leave it the way it is...That is until I get another pair of Las to replace my surounds.

Imagine...if jaws are dropping now with your "mismatched" system, just think how many more body parts will be affected when your Manleys are all aglow!

I'd lose all bodily functions and $#!+ my pants for sure!6.gif